Author Topic: Various lenses and their bokeh qualities  (Read 4237 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: Various lenses and their bokeh qualities
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 12:53:20 »
I understand what's going on with this "aggravated" bokeh. I have a Triopan and some of the Russian lenses that produce this kind of bokeh. I just don't like the effect. My idea of bokeh is a soft blurry background, rather than what we see in these linked examples, making the background the main focus or subject of the photo. It is the opposite of what I want bokeh to do, IMO. LOL.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 10:56:45 »
I understand what's going on with this "aggravated" bokeh. I have a Triopan and some of the Russian lenses that produce this kind of bokeh. I just don't like the effect. My idea of bokeh is a soft blurry background, rather than what we see in these linked examples, making the background the main focus or subject of the photo. It is the opposite of what I want bokeh to do, IMO. LOL.

Sure Michael, we're both have the same linking - others have different likings ;-)
formerly known as kds315

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 10:10:43 »
Obviously I'm different, lol. Actually I do like some examples of soft and smooth bokeh, but I am a fan of impressionism and modern art, and am interested in seeing what is possible with different optical formuale and lenses in terms of achieving different effects. I know it goes against the grain for many but don't forget that riots broke out at the first performances of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring in Paris...

I may eventually slink back in my cave and moderate the effects I am exploring, but for now I like this ride and the departure from the normal bokeh achieved with less quirky lenses.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 16:06:44 »
Obviously I'm different, lol. Actually I do like some examples of soft and smooth bokeh, but I am a fan of impressionism and modern art, and am interested in seeing what is possible with different optical formuale and lenses in terms of achieving different effects. I know it goes against the grain for many but don't forget that riots broke out at the first performances of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring in Paris...

I may eventually slink back in my cave and moderate the effects I am exploring, but for now I like this ride and the departure from the normal bokeh achieved with less quirky lenses.

Nothing wrong about it Toby, I like your experiments and would be quite happy to see more of it (and to hear what you used and how)!!
formerly known as kds315

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 16:28:28 »

I don’t think riots are about to break out any time soon about bokeh here. The group is filled with all sorts of different views of photography. Michael takes his photography in the direction of extreme detail, Birna post photos with colors I’ve never seen in nature, others seem incapable of getting anything in focus, all are appreciated for their different approaches. Keep it up and keep sharing. It is best when we learn something or get new ideas from each other.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 23:10:32 »
Generally I prefer lenses with smooth background rendering so that it is less distracting. It is one of the reasons I like the 105/2.5.

However I have also come to appreciate lenses with so-called harsh bokeh, such as those which create the soap-bubble effect. Used in the right situation they can give very interesting results. I also enjoyed the pictures Jakov took with his 135 DC lens with the DC ring turned to the max the "wrong" way ... in my quest for smooth bokeh I would never have dreamed of trying that, but his pictures of tulips with funky bokeh are very beautiful.

A lens is like a brush used to paint a picture. Some are easier to use to get pleasing results, but in the hands of a good artist, almost any brush can be used to good effect.