Author Topic: Jacket to decrease weight of in flight baggage  (Read 4348 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Jacket to decrease weight of in flight baggage
« on: April 17, 2018, 19:23:16 »
I want to buy one of these jackets with big pockets to reduce in flight weight in the cabin baggage

which do you recommend?

For Granada only 6 Kilogram cabin baggage are permitted and I want to take some extra lenses
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Jacket to decrease weight of in flight baggage
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 19:50:31 »
Hello Frank,
Check the site of this British company: www.countryinnovation.com/. I own one of their vests, very practical for travelling and on the field.

Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach its top

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 23:46:31 »
Hello Frank,
Check the site of this British company: www.countryinnovation.com/. I own one of their vests, very practical for travelling and on the field.

I like the Linnet Jacket for 300 UKSterling, seems just like what I am looking for.

Other alternatives?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 23:58:10 »

I like the Linnet Jacket for 300 UKSterling, seems just like what I am looking for.

Other alternatives?

Yes: don’t cheat
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 00:09:04 »
Hi Frank, the US photo company TAMRAC make what you are after.  I paid around $US100 for mine if I remember correctly.  The Tamrac has model number 53 on it.

Another alternative is a fly fishermans vest, which like a photo vest has a multitude of pockets - inside and out.

I have successfully used both for your stated purpose.  The Tamrac is made for American customers who are larger than I, and is designed to "breathe" in hot weather, whereas the fly fishermans vest is quilted and is preferred in cold weather. 

Both, as noted,  have pockets both inside and outside the vest.  Many are zippered (Tamrac), Velcroed (both), or have locking buttons (fisherman's vest).  Both have external eyelets for hanging small stuff, e.g. fishing stuff such as flys and pliers, your photo GPS (if you use one), or filter or card pouches etc

Good luck with your trip.
Hugh Gunn

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 00:20:00 »
Billingham (UK) makes very good photo vests. They are sturdily designed and take a lot of extra stuff in- or outside. However, beware of trying to mimic the "Michelin Man" :D

I have a very nice and light weight Nikon-labelled photo vest with mesh fabric that allows "breathing" in warmer climate. I just might bring it with me to Spain, but will not wear it during the air flights. Not that becoming :D but definitively functional.

A supercheap suggestion is getting an army combat vest from a surplus store. I used Russian vests before and paid next to nothing for them. One of them even allowed my carrying a 300/2.8 in the inside pocket !!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 11:14:23 »
Yes: don’t cheat

Is that a company, a brand, a make, a shop?

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 11:32:16 »
I found a photo jacket and vest series called "Páramo Halcon"

Chris Dees recommended "Stealth Gear", but I could not find them in Europe

Anyone here has experience with these?

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 11:45:29 »
A supercheap suggestion is getting an army combat vest from a surplus store. I used Russian vests before and paid next to nothing for them. One of them even allowed my carrying a 300/2.8 in the inside pocket !!

I wrote an Email to Billingham. Their photo vest product is discontinued but the still have stock in my size...

I will check a brick & mortar outdoor fashion store now to check if they have something useful available...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 13:25:45 »
Billingham does not make their photo vest anymore, also the Stealth Gear Extreme Photo Jacket which seemed to me the really right stuff is a discontunued item. My outdoor store delisted all photo gear last year, because the topic seemed to be too special. Country Innovation? I did not find proper reviews of their product...

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 13:32:04 »
Do you not have any checked lugage?

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 21:06:27 »
Hi Frank,

I bought a Vestrap cheap on Ebay which is well made https://www.befr.ebay.be/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_blrs=spell_check&_nkw=vestrap&LH_PrefLoc=2&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Unfortunately, there is no listing at the moment but if it is only for this trip, you have a choice on Ebay.

I also remember Ann uses that trick and has a quality supplier.
Bruno Schröder

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 21:20:02 »
Do you not have any checked lugage?

only clothing

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 22:56:02 »
I have two that I bought for flights, I thought I might of worn them for photography but never do.

First was a Billingham vest, well made and will carry a lot of lenses. Second was a Manfrotto jacket (Pro Field Jacket) that will carry less but looks better. The manfrotto looks like a normal jacket, that is why I bought it. I always feel a bit of a berk wearing the Billingham vest.

But they both are suitable for getting lenses and stuff onto the plane. So I wear the vest if the destination is hot, or the jacket if it is cooler.

Cheers
Bez

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 08:39:30 »
So I wear the vest if the destination is hot, or the jacket if it is cooler.

Hey Frank !

This is something to be considered.

Grenada is very hot place in may. I would go for something cheap like that : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fishing-Vest-for-Men-Quick-Dry-Multi-Pocket-Photography-Light-Weight-Hunting/222600512584?hash=item33d4064448:g:z~4AAOSwvApaHmXH
If it doesn't meet you requirement, at least you wouldn't lose big money... ;)
Francis Devrainne