Author Topic: NIKON: The Most-Used Camera of World Press Photo 2018  (Read 11516 times)

JKoerner007

NIKON: The Most-Used Camera of World Press Photo 2018
« on: April 17, 2018, 14:47:42 »
According to Petapixel, Nikon reversed Canon's lead and was the clear professional's choice.

• Nikon = 51.5%
  • Canon = 29.9%
  • Sony = 2.1%

Even Fuji cameras beat Sony ... 2x over ...

Another interesting phenomenon:

The top 3 cameras were the Nikon D5, D810, and Canon 5D Mk III (all tied at 11 entries).
Of The Top 10 camera brands used, 6 were Nikon, 4 were Canon, 0 were Sony.

Just as interesting, considering the "DSLR vs. Mirrorless" concern:

83.5% of the winning entries were DSLR-shot, only 11.3% were taken with mirroless.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: NIKON: The Most-Used Camera of World Press Photo 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 17:59:32 »
I would have guessed: More Leica, but not
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 18:09:18 »
There is a catch. The data are not for the 73,044 images submitted, but only for the 97 of the 129 winners for which exif is available.  So it is not surprising there would be changes from year to year, and the missing data could turn the result on its head.   

JKoerner007

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 18:30:47 »
There is a catch. The data are not for the 73,044 images submitted, but only for the 97 of the 129 winners for which exif is available.  So it is not surprising there would be changes from year to year, and the missing data could turn the result on its head.

Not really.

History doesn't remember the losers. The "bottom" 72,000+ don't really matter.

The world already knows Nikon is #2 in 'overall camera sales,' Canon #1, and Sony #3.

With that in mind, it is quite significant IMO for Nikon to have more of the Top 100 professional press images than Canon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus, and Leica put together ...

Arne Hvaring

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 22:59:24 »
No, Sony 5,1, Fuji 6,2%. With the low number sampled this is hardly significant.

JKoerner007

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 00:25:31 »
No, Sony 5,1, Fuji 6,2%.

Okay, still Fujis outsell Sonys by 5% but had 200% more successful placement.

With the low number sampled this is hardly significant.

Your opinion.

As mentioned, the world already knows Nikon is #2 in 'overall camera sales,'worldwide, but worldwide sales figures include novices, recreational use, etc.

I think it is quite significant that, while #2 in 'overall' camera sales, in a professional competition of best-vs.-best reportage 'moments captured,' Nikon cameras produced more top results than all the rest put together.

You can disagree, but I will disagree with you forever.

I think these results show either

1) what the most discriminating 'action' photographers rely on to capture the most critical of fleeting moments;
2) what gear is most likely to produce perfect captures of these critical moments; or
3) BOTH.

fish_shooter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Salmonography.com
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 00:46:44 »
What is interesting to me is that all four of Nikon's D8xx models are represented but none of Canon's high res models.

JKoerner007

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 00:48:50 »
Some more interesting data: OVERALL BREAKDOWN OF PARTICIPATING UNITS:

2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015
  • Nikon: (2018) 52.0%; (2017) 30.6%; (2016) 27.2%; (2015) 18.4%
  • Canon: (2018) 30.2%; (2017) 55.5%; (2016) 63.6%; 2015-60.5%
  • Fujifilm: (2018) 5.2%; (2017) 8.3%; (2016) 2.3%; (2015) 0.0%
  • Sony:  (2018) 5.2%; (2017) 0.0%: (2016) 2.3%; (2015) 0.0%
For discriminating professionals, Nikon has done a judo throw to Canon, a complete reversal from last year, tossing Canon on their heads and taking the lead. For professionals at least, who know what they need, Canon appears to be the brand on the steady decline, while Nikon is on the steady rise, due to their technological leads, in everything that is most important, when live and impromptu:
  • Critical AF Acquisition;
  • Extreme High Iso capability;
  • Extreme Base Iso Capability;
  • Lens Excellence (no adapter needed) and Selection;
  • Ruggedness and proven reliability;
  • Pro Support.
All the rest is fluff, really. Mirrorless has some fluff, but essentially there's nothing solid to the mirrorless offerings at this point, with their minimal professional representation confirming this point. Just a smattering of a gimmick or two, while lacking a solid platform for those whose entire livelihood depends on uncompromising results. "Novices" and "fanciers" may not know the difference, but those who put their heart and soul into what they do, notice.

Anyway, the D5 and D810 figured prominently in the statistics ... but the D850 (being a shoe-in for G.O.A.T.) was unavailable until the year's end ... so next year's results should be even more telling ;)

Could we be seeing a New Era for Nikon ... one where professionals re-embrace the class leader? (The consumer herd will surely follow.)

If we're to believe the writings of this article, Nikon (while being the innovation leader in many respects) made some strategic vision blunders, losing its overall sales leadership role to Canon.

For the last 10 years, however, Canon has basically wallowed in technological mediocrity, while Nikon (again-and-again) has led the way in extreme performance. (I know, because I personally dumped all my Canon gear to move forward with Nikon).

It appears that many professionals are now doing likewise. That's my take on what the numbers represent.

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 02:36:37 »
I agree with Les .. the numbers are meaningless.
Without those 32 'no data' entries, the results don't really help with any understanding of the market in any way.

All it does is tell us that THIS YEAR .. those that won something used those cameras/brands.

Really? .. who cares(other than fanbois, pixelpeepers and internet jockeys?

What would be more interesting as a data set is the 72+K pool of users.

Winners come and go, partially dependent on luck, timing, and skill.

The data presented above would make more sense if it were averaged over a number of years rather than on a year by year basis.
That is the last 5 years of data would be more interesting, as it takes the luck out of the equation.

What this data definitely doen't give us is an insight into this being a 'new era' for Nikon .. that's for sure!
Arthur

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 02:46:28 »
What is interesting to me is that all four of Nikon's D8xx models are represented but none of Canon's high res models.

I have used Canon's 5DSR.
While it offers more pixels, it is hard work to get good colors and good tonality out of it especially at anything over base ISO.
It demands good light and subjects without much dynamic range.
Files from the Df are much better in marginal conditions.

JKoerner007

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 02:51:36 »
All it does is tell us that THIS YEAR .. those that won something used those cameras/brands.

Actually, the most-recent post shows more than that: the trend over the last 4 years.

If you don't care, why post at all?

Which is the post right above yours.

The data presented above would make more sense if it were averaged over a number of years rather than on a year by year basis.
That is the last 5 years of data would be more interesting, as it takes the luck out of the equation.

What this data definitely doen't give us is an insight into this being a 'new era' for Nikon .. that's for sure!

I don't think you read the posts very well. I also don't think "averaging everything" would flush-out the current trend like the above statistics do.

If you read before you type, you would notice that only Nikon has been steadily gaining (in professional use, if not in global use).
What would be interesting, to me, is if there were a way to measure "wildlife use" and "sports use" as well.

Overall consumer use isn't as interesting IMO.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 03:05:12 »
I agree with Les .. the numbers are meaningless.
Without those 32 'no data' entries, the results don't really help with any understanding of the market in any way.

Winners come and go, partially dependent on luck, timing, and skill.

Sample sizes are pretty small. Pretty hard to draw conclusions about this when it is just the difference between 7 people or 11 people.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 03:17:13 »
Canon has been lagging behind lately. their cameras aren't really "wow-ing" anybody in recent years unlike the D750, D850, D800, D500 and the D5 when they were released  :o :o :o

Their releases only have incremental upgrades in recent years. fuji is actually making more progress than them to be frank specially in the gimmicks aspect.

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 08:32:04 »

If you don't care, why post at all?

LOL! awesome answer dude!!  ::)

I didn't realise that the internet was reserved solely for your usage and opinion!
Arthur

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 09:35:52 »
Last weekend I started the racing car season. And traditionally I’m taking a “photography of the photographers” at the end of the race and do some camera counting: I believe there are more Nikon’s than the year before: I guess around 50/50 (Nikon / Canon) where last year I would have evaluated the Nikon share to 45%. And like last year: no hybrids, no Sony’s.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν