Author Topic: Look what the cat dragged in  (Read 927 times)

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
Look what the cat dragged in
« on: April 16, 2018, 19:14:39 »
Well, not the cat but myself. I bought an old but nice Nikkor AI 55mm f/1.2 lens. It is externally very nice and functions perfectly.

Here are the first random test shots. I like the olde tyme low contrast soft rendering, it is lovely, imho. All shot at f/1.2 in natural light of my semi-co-operative daughter.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Look what the cat dragged in
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 19:44:15 »
I remember her from years ago, she is growing up fast, as far as the rendering i agree on the lovely low contrast, suits a young lady perfectly.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 20:17:56 »
Peter, wonderful portraits!

Are you focusing through the viewfinder ?

I have  the same lens, but I have to focus in live view, and it is easier to do if the camera is on a tripod as when zoomed in the camera shake makes it impossible to see what I'm focusing on, great for slow shooting, although terrible for an impatient model :)
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 20:31:00 »
I remember her from years ago, she is growing up fast, as far as the rendering i agree on the lovely low contrast, suits a young lady perfectly.

Thank you Fons. She'll be nine in a few weeks. One can't but wonder where did the time go. At least I have a ton of pics!

Peter, wonderful portraits!

Are you focusing through the viewfinder ?

I have  the same lens, but I have to focus in live view, and it is easier to do if the camera is on a tripod as when zoomed in the camera shake makes it impossible to see what I'm focusing on, great for slow shooting, although terrible for an impatient model :)

Thank you Armando. These were focused through the viewfinder, but I focus bracketed in a crude way. I first set the focus as close as I can, then turned the focus back little bit, and then fired 4-5 images while slowly turning the focusing ring forward. Can't get the "best" shot but at least there's one that's focused!  :P

I'll have to try Liveview!