Author Topic: Yellow and blue  (Read 923 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Yellow and blue
« on: April 17, 2018, 12:34:12 »
This was taken in 1989 at a large sporting goods/ outdoor store here in Toronto.
While my wife was inside the store, I noticed a man wearing a bright yellow shirt standing against a blue tiled wall.
We commiserated about having to wait while our wives shopped, and he was kind enough to let me take a casual portrait.
motorized Nikon FE-2
Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AIS manual focus
Ektachrome 100 ISO colour slide
2.8 @ 1/250th
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: Yellow and blue
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 13:07:56 »
I really like the colours on this.  Good that you had a cooperative model.
Anthony Macaulay

ianwatson

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 19:09:11 »
I love the contrast in colours too. It is also interesting and instructive to see an environmental portrait taken with a 24mm lens. Thank you for sharing, Robert.

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 19:57:27 »
Anthony /Ian,
Thanks for commenting.
Ian,
Years ago, on the advice of my first photo-mentor, a professional photographer, I started using a 35 rather than a 50 as my normal lens, and replaced my 28 with a 24 as my "wide" lens.
He used a 24 for many environmental portraits, and I followed suit. Today a 24 f2 Nikkor AIS manual focus is still a go-to lens for shots such as this.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

ianwatson

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 05:11:09 »
I started with a 50mm but have come to prefer 35mm as my normal. It feels very natural. 24mm has long been my favourite wide lens. It is harder to use but very rewarding when I get it right. Using it for environmental portraits is a new frontier. You have inspired me to try harder!

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 13:32:16 »
Ian,
That makes me feel very good.
Good luck with it.
robert