Author Topic: ((( ZEISS 21mm f/2.8 - Time to Buy ;)))  (Read 7695 times)

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
Re: ((( ZEISS 21mm f/2.8 - Time to Buy ;)))
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 19:34:23 »
found it... i didn't take this but it is famous.

Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 19:39:28 »
Whom did I belittle? My intent here was to post about a very nice time to buy a really good 21mm prime.

I took a lot of time to post (what I thought were) interesting comparisons among the leading primes in this class.

Jack is the one who came here with the intent to write a sarcastic one-liner, and I 'played along' and responded in sarcasm, but there was no malice in what I wrote. I even ended with,
  • "In all seriousness, making grids/tables like this helps us all evaluate lenses in our own way, placing hierarchical importance to "us," based on our own unique needs."
Read what I wrote slowly, so you actually grasp it.

The irony (hypocrisy) is, the only person who came here with the sole intent to directly "belittle" another person was you ... so you might want to recite your last post in the mirror.

Jack,  I did not intend to be sarcastic. I was merely pointing out that max aperture is important to people too. If I were choosing from that list the Nikon would be my first or second choice.

I believe that LZ took the words “if you are not perceptive enough to see...” as belittling.

The enthusiasm and effort you put into your posts is admirable, but sometimes it comes across as antagonistic. Maybe I suffer from that too so I am sensitive to it when I see it. Certainly something to be careful of in a forum like this.

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 20:03:40 »
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,6314.0.html

i believe you can see the distortion in the roof line?.. am i mistaken?

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 20:15:45 »
The ACR/Lightroom canned profile for this lens does an OK...meaning not perfect but adequate for most purposes...job of correcting the wave distortion.  In theory, one could make a more perfect correction profile if desired.  Note:  I shoot a lot of older buildings in the L.A. area, and often the building surfaces and lines sag and shift over time, and are no longer square and straight.   

Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jim Covello

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • The Artful Engineer
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 20:18:51 »
AF has its uses, too, of course, although it is not essential in every situation (especially at 20/21mm...) and not everyone really cares. But I find it useful. Even when on a tripod with static subjects, it is nice to have Live View do the focusing for me (just by touching the screen with the D850!). I find it both accurate and fast. It also works well even when the scene is dark or the light is very bright making the LCD screen had to work with.

And I have just started to generate focus stacks with the D850, which it does very quickly and easily with its focus shift feature.

Personally, I love my 20mm f/1.8G and find it VERY hard to leave behind. I have reversed lenses a few times, but it's not really my thing. The big front end of the 21mm seems a little awkward for that purpose, but reversing lenses is awkward to begin with (at least to me).

I don't mind MF lenses, but I tend to like them if they are small or otherwise special. I do have a Voigtlander 40mm f/2 (small!) that I really, really like. And the 105mm f/2.5 AI, naturally (small and special). I also have an 85mm PC-E that is wonderful (special!). And I plan to save up for the 19mm PC-E, too (special!).

But I will add that at least it the 21mm focuses the right direction! I don't even like my AF lenses to manually focus the wrong (i.e., anti-Nikon) direction, which is one thing that sours me on Sigmas and most other third-party lenses.

Just some thoughts.

Jim

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 20:23:12 »
yeah.... reasonable ACR correction....

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 20:30:31 »
i believe you can see the distortion in the roof line?.. am i mistaken?
This is a very old building and that roof is not straight because of age, not the lens.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 20:48:43 »
This is a very old building and that roof is not straight because of age, not the lens.

ok.. my mistake

JKoerner007

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 20:51:19 »
Jack,  I did not intend to be sarcastic. I was merely pointing out that max aperture is important to people too. If I were choosing from that list the Nikon would be my first or second choice.

It was sarcastic, Jack.

If you would have only meant to point out "that max aperture is important to people too," that's the way you would have said it ;)

Instead, you chose to illustrate your point with a rhetorical, sarcastic question ... which is okay ... I just played it back.

I was totally cool with it, still am :)

No comment on that individual. His tone came first as well, but wasn't in the same spirit as yours, and he completely missed the fact I was joking with you.

..... The enthusiasm and effort you put into your posts is admirable, but sometimes it comes across as antagonistic. Maybe I suffer from that too so I am sensitive to it when I see it.
Certainly something to be careful of in a forum like this.

We all can be sarcastic at times ... as well as over-zealous.

For this reason, it's just as important to be able to realize sometimes a person's sarcastic comments are sometimes made in fun ... or to illustrate a point (as you did) ... and not get too upset over them.

It's also important to finally "let it go," and move back on topic, so we don't derail would could be a good discussion :D

JKoerner007

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 20:52:57 »
Two posts of mine where this awesome lens was used:

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,6320.0.html

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,6314.0.html

Very nice ... I seem to be following your taste in lenses :)

JKoerner007

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2018, 21:05:54 »
the Zeiss 21/2.8 has severe mustache distortion if I remember correctly..  i seem to recall a shot with waves in the rails on train tracks.. this is why i skipped over this zeiss... i think it doesn't control flare well also

It's true.

I have been following this lens for about 10 years. The mustache distortion held me back as well.

One thing I am beginning to notice is that the best thing anyone can do is stop "reading opinions," and start seeing for oneself.
he more I stop reading reviews, and follow my eyes (other people's images), and especially the more I see for myself, the more I realize all lenses have strengths and weaknesses.

Once you understand where not to use a lens (say, architecture for this one), and where the lens really shines, the better results you'll get.

The key is to determine how any given lens will augment, or detract from, your own personal work.
Even technically 'perfect' lenses (like the Otii) have price, weight, lack of reproduction ratio, etc. as drawbacks that take away from certain applications.

It's like the Zeiss 25mm f/2.8 ... lots of detractors, mostly those who read charts, but never actually used the lens.
(The classic example was Diglloyd lambasting the Zeiss 25mm f/2.8, based on his 'desk review,' and doing a complete turnaround, to sing its praises, after using it the field.)

Back to the 21mm ...

I have seen some terrific images from many photographers who actually own/use the lens. Since I've always been curious, I figured I would buy and actually own/use the lens myself.
By purchasing the lens to 'see for myself,' this will enable me to render the best opinion anyone could possibly give me for how it would adapt to my work, and that is my own ;D

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 21:09:00 »
One thing I am beginning to notice is that the best thing anyone can do is stop "reading opinions," and start seeing for oneself.
he more I stop reading reviews, and follow my eyes (other people's images), and especially the more I see for myself, the more I realize all lenses have strengths and weaknesses.

i actually bought this lens years ago from B&H and sent it back.... basically you can never have too many lenses.. i just need to cherry pick due to cost.

JKoerner007

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 21:22:56 »
AF has its uses, too, of course, although it is not essential in every situation (especially at 20/21mm...) and not everyone really cares. But I find it useful. Even when on a tripod with static subjects, it is nice to have Live View do the focusing for me (just by touching the screen with the D850!). I find it both accurate and fast. It also works well even when the scene is dark or the light is very bright making the LCD screen had to work with.

Good point, Jim.

We all have different hot buttons ... I prefer MF myself ... blowing-up the LCD and manually-focusing the details. Makes me feel "I" am more involved in the process.

And I have just started to generate focus stacks with the D850, which it does very quickly and easily with its focus shift feature.

I've yet to try this. It may force me to do a complete turnaround in both method and lens preferences :)

Personally, I love my 20mm f/1.8G and find it VERY hard to leave behind. I have reversed lenses a few times, but it's not really my thing. The big front end of the 21mm seems a little awkward for that purpose, but reversing lenses is awkward to begin with (at least to me).

It is a little awkward (4 rings needed), but it works well. Once in place, it seems to offer a HUGE working distance compared to other 4:1 options.
I'll post some photos eventually, and I will also compare the working distance to other options.

I don't mind MF lenses, but I tend to like them if they are small or otherwise special. I do have a Voigtlander 40mm f/2 (small!) that I really, really like. And the 105mm f/2.5 AI, naturally (small and special). I also have an 85mm PC-E that is wonderful (special!). And I plan to save up for the 19mm PC-E, too (special!).

Yep. If a person actually reads the charts, the Leica is the all-around most useful, lightest weight, etc. If it wasn't $2,800, I might have opted for it though.

What's special for the Zeiss 21, however, is the micro-contrast, where all the tiny details are retained. It's what gives the "3d effect" Zeisses are known for ... and, this one supposedly is the summit for this class. We'll see.

But I will add that at least it the 21mm focuses the right direction! I don't even like my AF lenses to manually focus the wrong (i.e., anti-Nikon) direction, which is one thing that sours me on Sigmas and most other third-party lenses.
Just some thoughts.
Jim

We all have our fussy points :)

Mine is "what lens gives me the most options (with good quality) for the least money?"

I wouldn't have bought this lens, new, for $2,000. But I would (and did) buy it new for "1,100."

I will use it for the entire season, and if I don't like it, I can probably still sell it for $1,000 (I take good care of my stuff).

Buying new lenses, well, is actually cheaper than renting them, if you add everything up :)

JKoerner007

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2018, 21:31:29 »
i actually bought this lens years ago from B&H and sent it back.... basically you can never have too many lenses.. i just need to cherry pick due to cost.

I may do the same as you.

I bought the Zeiss 15mm, then sold it. After thinking about it, I bought it again ... and it's not going anywhere.

Also bought the Zeiss 135mm, twice, and got rid of it, twice. I will not buy it again: it's too limited.

If this lens is noticeably-better then my 20mm UD, the 20 UD goes (and I am pretty sure that's happening).

And if the Zeiss does a better job at 4:1 macros (when reversed) than my forthcoming 2.5x-5x zoom, it's going to be what I'll use for the studio (the zoom will be for the field).