Author Topic: Another Michigan butterfly  (Read 978 times)

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Another Michigan butterfly
« on: April 14, 2018, 02:57:01 »
This fine fellow was imaged today.  Towards the end of the season at the conservatory, so many of the butterflies are getting beat up, but this one was hanging in there.

D500  70-180.  R1C1 flash.  Hand held, since no tripods allowed.

I liked the shape of the leaf with the butterfly shapes.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Another Michigan butterfly
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 04:20:59 »
Nice sharp, well exposed and well framed image Randy. The BG is perfect to showcase the subject. The DOF with the antennae is always going to be difficult so, do not bother about it or even trying to get both in focus. It is not critical to the image.

If you do not mind, Mongo has a current opportunity to acquire a next to new R1C1 from a fellow photographer. Have always understood it is probably the best unit for macro flash. The unit Mongo is thinking of acquiring has 3 flash heads and a commander unit. How do you find the R1C1 and do you use 2 or 3 flash heads ??

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 15:20:06 »
Thanks Mongo:

The R1C1 is the best setup for the type of macro I do, butterflies, frogs, etc.  The weight is reasonable, the ability to move the heads around on the ring is incredibly handy when shooting around foliage, where you want to not cast a deep shadow under the subject, just rotate a head around to the bottom to fill in the shadows.  Being able to adjust the balance between the two flashes, set exposure comp on the SU800 commander, all good. 

I had used a variety of brackets, cords, flash units in past, but this is the best setup for what I do.

I think that two heads is enough for most use, unless you want to have one unit off camera on the little shoe mount, and position it behind the subject to light up the background. Can be handy, but that often isn't possible where I shoot.

Happy to answer anymore specific questions.

Cheers

Randy

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 00:30:44 »
Big thanks Randy. Very helpful information and pretty much confirms what Mongo suspected about the quality of this unit for macro work.