Author Topic: The Nikkor “O” CRT 55mm f/1.2 Lens: A Recipe for Lovely  (Read 800 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: The Nikkor “O” CRT 55mm f/1.2 Lens: A Recipe for Lovely
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 18:24:34 »
This lens is very hard to mount due to very odd threads. I finally mounted it with a clamp-on tube as close to the flange as I could get. Even, then, there is very little range and it is too close for my taste. So, there is the mounting and the range and the sheer heaviness of the lens. It is a lump. And you are going to have to shoot it wide-open unless you have the electrical connection to close and open the blades. Better hope that it comes wide open! I had to make sure the seller would set it to wide open before shipping.

I can live with that, but when I stack fairly close, looking to see what degree of sharpness is there, I must have missed the “sharpness” in passing. LOL. There wasn’t any sharpness there worth my trouble and I usually go to a fair amount of trouble to find things out.

So, heavy, ultra-limited range, very difficult to mount, and then not really sharp.

This might be a lens that folks like Jakov Minić, those who are skilled in atmospherics, might like.

Here is a multi-level stack using the JML 56mm. What you see is all the resolution/sharpness I can get, and this photo has been dressed up in post in its “go-to-meeting” best.

I see no reason to use it. However, if anyone wants it, I’m happy to sell this copy WITH a Nikon-F adapter included.
Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com (articles), https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine (video tutorials), All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, SpiritGrooves.net, DharmaGrooves.com

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: The Nikkor “O” CRT 55mm f/1.2 Lens: A Recipe for Lovely
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 20:07:10 »
And you are going to have to shoot it wide-open unless you have the electrical connection to close and open the blades. Better hope that it comes wide open! I had to make sure the seller would set it to wide open before shipping.

I see no reason to use it. However, if anyone wants it, I’m happy to sell this copy WITH a Nikon-F adapter included.

Actually, there are just a few screws holding the cover plate so it is easy to set or remove the shutter diaphragm:
Unscrew the front cell
Remove the six screws
Lift the cover plate
Remove the 4 screws holding the shutter diaphragm
Lift the shutter out
Move the actuator lever to open position
Open the shutter using the actuator pin
Put shutter back in (or remove entirely if you just want to use wide open)
Put cover back on
Screw front cell back in.

I agree that this in not a great lens for Michael’s type of work.