Author Topic: Too Good To Pass Up Deal on the D750  (Read 4309 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
Too Good To Pass Up Deal on the D750
« on: April 09, 2018, 18:38:05 »
I went into a local camera store this weekend, fully intending to just say hello to some of the people that work there that I have become good friends.

I look up on the used wall and I see some very interesting additions that were not there the last time I dropped in.

A used D850 and D750.

I'm not going to lie, I had to talk myself out of the D850. When I asked about it, the said that it was basically new with only 300 actuations on it. The person who brought it in had it for only 30 days and decided that video was more of a priority for them and traded it and all their Nikon lenses for one of the Sony A7 models.

As much greatness that I've heard from the D850 owners, I'm still not sold on needing all those megapixels. My sports fix is very much satiated with the D500.

The D750 next to it was in excellent condition. I like having an FX workhorse and the D700 was fitting that bill for a long time. I realized how far behind it was in some regards when shooting it side by side with the D500. When DX has come that far, I thought about upgrading to something more modern.

I'm also getting more into video, and the D750, while not brilliant in that regard, would give me another HD capable camera with enough quality to be usable.

So, I now own the D750. I was able to get out a little bit today and take some snappies.

My first initial impressions:
I have not looked up the weights of the D700 or D750 yet, but my perception is that the D750 feels lighter.

I really like the feel of the grip on the D750.
IQ is appears to be fantastic. Shot from ISO 50 up through 12,800. Loving it.

So far, in weird lighting, the colors and white balance of the D750 seem to be much truer than the D700. That was one of the things that I noticed when shooting the D700/D500 side by side. The D700 just seems to get a little nutty with theatrical lighting colors.

I threw my first Nikon prime lens, the tried and true 50mm f/1.8D. Shot wide open to f/8 and the lens did well on the 24mp sensor.

I have an indoor basketball shoot tomorrow, so hopefully after that, I'll be able to get more samples and see how it focus' against the D500.

Initial impression - excellent camera.

I was going to trade my D700 in at the store, but I did a little research and found out that MPB.com was willing to give me double what the local store would give...so I'm just waiting to get the FedEx shipping label from them on Monday.

I'll post pictures soon!
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Too Good To Pass Up Deal on the D750
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 19:49:26 »
Good on you, Andrew the d500 is very nice producing sharp images, files on the d800 series are so large, reason i havenot been using my d800 that much, besides it being quite slow, but thats a different story.Good shooting with the d750, cheers.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 20:11:55 »
Good find, Andrew!  Post some 750 stuff. ;)
Carl

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 22:43:42 »
You are not going to be disappointed, specially if you have to "stretch" some images in post. I will recommend the fastest card available if you are doing sports.

Happy shooting!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 22:52:40 »
The D750 is a great camera in many respects. Only thing I do not like about her is the snappy sound. I am a very acoustic person much more than visual. I listen to movies, I do trust my ears walking the city, eyes are only backup for silent dangers. I do not believe though the D750 delivers white balance anywhere near to the D500, but I sure like to see your direct comparsion in difficult light. Try evening sun though window mixed with converter bulbs and classical bulbs. The D500 will deliver, what will the D750 do?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 01:04:39 »
I just found that the D750 needed to be calibrated with my 24-70/2.8 at 24mm.  The rest of the range was good, but it needed a -5 correction.

So, curious, I threw my 35/2 and 50/1.8 on there.  The 35mm needed a -3 and the 50 was spot on even at f/1.8.

I'll start going through all my other lenses soon.  All I know right now is that I'm glad I checked that before taking it on the wedding I'm shooting on Saturday.   Being this close to the event, I might just replace it in the lineup with my Df until I can do more testing.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 01:29:17 »
Good for you, Andrew!

I've had great time with D750 with the only caveat was the shutter sound, as Frank mentions.  The quality and pliability of the image was amazing.  If you don't mind its sound, it will serve you very well.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 02:52:28 »
Good for you, Andrew!

I've had great time with D750 with the only caveat was the shutter sound, as Frank mentions.  The quality and pliability of the image was amazing.  If you don't mind its sound, it will serve you very well.

It's actually not that bad.  Very similar in sound to the D700 it replaced and the my old D300.
Andrew

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 05:56:01 »
Interesting. I found the shutter sound of the d700 way louder than the d750.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 06:25:16 »
It's actually not that bad.  Very similar in sound to the D700 it replaced and the my old D300.

Interesting. I found the shutter sound of the d700 way louder than the d750.

It's not really about the loudness.  To me, the shutters of D500/700/800/3/4/5 etc, sound like a single sharp pulse.  On the other hand, D750 (to me, D850 as well) sounds like a babble or a buzz of combined multiple noise.

To me, the most pleasing or the least obtrusive shutter noise of Nikon is that of D810.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 06:54:35 »
Interesting, I could never quite describe the noise of the D750.  Closest I could come is a soft Twang of a tight rubber band but certainly different to my other bodies  :)
Andrew, I've spent the last few days culling/ organizing External Hard Drives and have a new respect for my deceased D750.    Saved well over double he images from it .   I am tempted to replace it, have many cameras but feel the need for another Nikon Fx or just wait for a D760 (?) or prices to come down on D850  ;) .
Enjoy  :)
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 08:36:54 »
Noise-wise, I prefer the Df in quiet mode. Sounds like you're doing a slow exposure with a film camera of yore.
Airy Magnien

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 14:21:59 »
 or prices to come down on D850  ;) .
Enjoy  :)
I fear it will be a long wait for a  lower price
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 14:51:23 »
I fear it will be a long wait for a  lower price

Yes, first they have to deliver all backordered D850ies.

As we discuss that: What did you pay for your new tool, Andrew?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 15:39:59 »
Yes, first they have to deliver all backordered D850ies.

As we discuss that: What did you pay for your new tool, Andrew?

After selling the D700, I'll have paid $550USD out of pocket.  Not a bad price for an upgrade! 
Andrew