Author Topic: Dogwood  (Read 5107 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Dogwood
« on: April 05, 2018, 07:28:05 »
Dogwood was originally brought to Japan in 1912 as part of the flower exchange between Washington DC and Tokyo.  Somei-Yoshino, (Cerasus yedoensis, hybrid species of cherry blossom originated from Japan) was brought to the U.S. instead.

Historical background aside, I'm always interested in the way dogwood blooms: the petal-looking involucre that wraps around the inflorescence opens itself by breaking into four parts from the tip.  Doesn't it hurt?  :D

So, I love this somewhat sci-fi way the dogwood flowers look before its involucre opens.  They are in full bloom now.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: Dogwood
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 09:04:30 »
Interesting story, and very nice pictures

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:44:11 »
Thank you Bent.  Glad you enjoy my post.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 11:04:52 »
I like dogwood myself the American varieties dont do that well in this country contrary to the European types, on a note they bear edible fruit.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 11:52:07 »
Interesting !

I've never saw this flower before.

I like the shape with nice curves before the flower opens. (that would be a perfect subject for Michael Erlewine' work).

As for the name ''dogwood'', it doesn't appear to belong to the Cornus family.

Do you know the latin name, please ?

The pink one #3 is my fav.

Thank's for posting .

Francis.
Francis Devrainne

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 12:08:42 »
Cornus Florida

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornus_florida

Extract:

In 1915, forty dogwood saplings were donated by U.S. to Japan in the 1912-15 exchange of flowers between Tokyo and Washington, D.C. While the cherry trees survived the ensuing sour relations of these two countries and are the main feature of the National Cherry Blossom Festival, all dogwood trees in Tokyo died except the one that had been planted in an agriculture high school. In 2012, the United States sent 3,000 dogwood saplings to Japan to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the Washington D.C. cherry trees given as a gift to the U.S. by Japan in 1912.[21]
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 12:17:30 »
Thank you Seapy !

That wikipedia page brings a big amount of fuel to my curiosity... ;)
Francis Devrainne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 13:05:48 »
I like dogwood myself the American varieties dont do that well in this country contrary to the European types, on a note they bear edible fruit.

Fons, thank you for the interesting info.  I never thought about the dogwood fruit.

Interesting !

I've never saw this flower before.

I like the shape with nice curves before the flower opens. (that would be a perfect subject for Michael Erlewine' work).

As for the name ''dogwood'', it doesn't appear to belong to the Cornus family.

Do you know the latin name, please ?

The pink one #3 is my fav.

Thank's for posting .

Francis.

Francis, thank you for your comment.  Glad you like them.  Yes, these should interest Michael!

Cornus Florida

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornus_florida

Thank you, Robert, for the link.  Actually I also referred to it to write my initial post in English.  :)

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 13:30:53 »
Thank you, Robert, for the link.  Actually I also referred to it to write my initial post in English.  :)

Sometimes a link can add information for the curious, without cluttering the post with technicals which the average visitor isn't interested in.   ;D

By the way, these plant (and animal) names are not really Latin, they are often 'Latinised', meaning they have endings which add gender or other attributes to the name to provide a standard, universal international name for the plant. They can actually be of greek origin too or taken/adapted from many languages not just European but they often have a Latinised termination, which leads people to think they are Latin.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 13:50:11 »
Sometimes a link can add information for the curious, without cluttering the post with technicals which the average visitor isn't interested in.   ;D

By the way, these plant (and animal) names are not really Latin, they are often 'Latinised', meaning they have endings which add gender or other attributes to the name to provide a standard, universal international name for the plant. They can actually be of greek origin too or taken/adapted from many languages not just European but they often have a Latinised termination, which leads people to think they are Latin.

So far as I understand, these scientific names are created in the Latin way.  For example, some Japanese species carry such names like "Picea jezoensis" or "Cerasus yedoensis".  Both "Jezo" (pronounced "yezo") and "Yedo" are historical names of Hokkaido and Tokyo respectively.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 14:13:12 »
So far as I understand, these scientific names are created in the Latin way.  For example, some Japanese species carry such names like "Picea jezoensis" or "Cerasus yedoensis".  Both "Jezo" (pronounced "yezo") and "Yedo" are historical names of Hokkaido and Tokyo respectively.

You got it!   ;D

There is some debate about capitalisation, in my opinion, a name which is of a place or a person, like Yedoensis, (named for Tokyo) or Fuchsia, (named for Leonhart Fuchs a 16th century German botanist) should have a capital, but sadly the international standards have been relaxed in this regard.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 14:27:50 »
You got it!   ;D

There is some debate about capitalisation, in my opinion, a name which is of a place or a person, like Yedoensis, (named for Tokyo) or Fuchsia, (named for Leonhart Fuchs a 16th century German botanist) should have a capital, but sadly the international standards have been relaxed in this regard.

Thank you!  I'm not familiar with the Latin rule for the capitalization.  Apparently the scientific naming system has its own system.  Dalbergia stevensonii (Honduras rosewood) seems to be another example that relate to a person's name.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 15:37:00 »
Thank you!  I'm not familiar with the Latin rule for the capitalization.  Apparently the scientific naming system has its own system.  Dalbergia stevensonii (Honduras rosewood) seems to be another example that relate to a person's name.

This is the entry from my late fathers book which I am moving towards publishing for him.

Stevensonii:
1. Duncan Stevenson, British botanist who collected in British Honduras.  For Dipholis Stevensonii.
2. Neil S. Stevenson, who also collected in Honduras.  For Dalbergia Stevensonii.

Excerpt From: “Discoverii.” iBooks.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 23:33:10 »
wonderful flower images Akira, very nice soft light, very precise focus and sufficient depth of field
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 00:05:32 »
This is the entry from my late fathers book which I am moving towards publishing for him.

Stevensonii:
1. Duncan Stevenson, British botanist who collected in British Honduras.  For Dipholis Stevensonii.
2. Neil S. Stevenson, who also collected in Honduras.  For Dalbergia Stevensonii.

Excerpt From: “Discoverii.” iBooks.

Thank you, Robert, for the additional info.  Appreciate your late father's work.