Author Topic: Adobe’s new Camera Raw Releases and New Profiles  (Read 5945 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Adobe’s new Camera Raw Releases and New Profiles
« on: April 04, 2018, 00:52:45 »
This release is, to me, big news. It reminds me of color grading which video enthusiasts are already familiar with, but for stills.

This update is for Lightroom, Photoshop and, of course, Camera Raw.

It includes a new Adobe Color to replace the standard we have had for ten years or so, plus ones for Monochrome, Landscape, Neutral (maybe like S-Log in video), Protrait, and Vivid. These are for raw files.

In addition there are some 40 or so creative profiles that can be applied to any type of file, JPG, TIFF, etc.

Plus there are all show as imaged on the main screen of Camera Raw, for instance. This is a very important change and looks to save me LOTS of time. Check it out:

https://theblog.adobe.com/april-lightroom-adobe-camera-raw-releases-new-profiles
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: Adobe’s new Camera Raw Releases and New Profiles
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 01:35:05 »
I saw the Adobe pop-up some hours ago and yawned...

Your enthusiasm has prompted me to get the updates and have them install while I sleep tonight, thanks Michael.

Perhaps it might make some of my otherwise drab, boring lifeless photographs pop and sizzle tomorrow morning... I will see!  ;D ;D ;D
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 01:49:20 »
The new Profile Browser and (separate) Presets Panel are both extremely useful — especially for the custom Presets in my case because I save Presets for different sharpening requirements among other things.

Personally, I don't foresee having much personal use for Adobe's provided Profiles (although most Users probably will) because I prefer to "roll my own" using xRite's Passport software for different camera bodies and different light-sources. The new Profile Browser does show my Passport-created Profiles as well as the Adobe ones for RAW image files.

You can mark any of the Presets or Profiles (there are separate Panels for each of those) as "Favorites" which puts them to the top of the list; and cycle through the whole lot in the Profile Browser or the Preset Panel (as appropriate) and watch the effects changing your image when you cycle through them.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 07:51:17 »
Serious update of Camera Raw.  Profiles means Standardization.  Sometimes useful, if you have a large amounts of Photo's in a batch.

The somewhat 'hidden'  Dehaze function made a promotion to the front page.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 09:55:19 »
You will also be able to import LUTs, created into Ps, into Lr as profiles.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 11:30:29 »
where did my color profiles go to??
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 12:20:17 »
where did my color profiles go to??

Bob, the color profiles are in the "Basic" tab.  Click the four-rectangle icon to the right of "Profile:".  The camera's own profiles will be shown by clicking either "Camera Matching" or "Legacy" arrows.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 16:53:34 »
Bob:

As Akira said, your Camera Profiles are now in the Basic Panel (click the little four-squares icon to see them).
Your personal Camera Profiles will also appear there if you are opening a RAW image.
(Camera Profiles don't apply to previously-converted images (like PSD or JPG) because they are not usable at that stage.)

Your personally-created Presets are now listed in their own Panel (under the "three sliders in different positions" Icon.

Camera Calibration is still under the "strip of cine film" Icon.

Haze is now in the main Basic Panel and using Auto is now much improved (and really very good) in most ways but I take exception to the fact that it now Autos both Vibrance and Saturation too. Using Auto with slight tweaks to the "Exposure" slider (meaning Brightness) and perhaps to Contrast as well will usually provide good starting points for further editing for most photographs (and many camera-users will probably not go much further than that!).

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 17:33:41 »
Up to this update, my copy of Lr auto adjust was adjusting both saturation and vibrance.  Normally I rarely adjust the saturation, only in problematic images...  Raising the haze adjustment to join the clarity control is handy, saving me diving to the bottom at that stage with some images.  Not sure these two shouldn't be classed as micro contrast or detail extraction?  They can certainly squeeze much more detail out of an image than any other adjustments in Lr.

Until recently I had limited myself to about +25 points on the clarity slider but recently I have pushed it well beyond that for certain images without too much ill effect.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 17:59:09 »
Clarity achieves its micro-contrasting effect by darkening and brightening the edges of objects in the photograph (with more emphasis on the darkening side) so you have to make sure that you don't use Clarity so excessively that sooty edges start to destroy colour purity and smoothness.

Often using just a touch of De-haze (levels 4 to 8 ) and less Clarity can be the better solution when fine details are involved.

It was because so many people are using Dehaze for this purpose that the Dehaze filter was moved to the Basic Panel and grouped with Clarity.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 00:55:38 »
@Ann and @Akira:  Thank you... found the custom color profiles i created 
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 17:37:55 »
Camera Raw 11.0  Released

Main features:

One-step HDR Panorama merge
Depth range masking
Process Version 5

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/whats-new.html

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 00:07:01 »
Camera Raw 11.0  Released

Main features:

One-step HDR Panorama merge
Depth range masking
Process Version 5

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/whats-new.html

Thank you, John, for the reminder.  I haven't been realized that pano-merge was possible in ACR.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 00:25:46 »
And Process v5 which should improve the processing of High ISO images.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 01:18:16 »
And Process v5 which should improve the processing of High ISO images.

Christian, I would be able to prove that.  I haven't seen any chrominance noise for a wile, even in my D750 NEFs shot at ISO12800!