Author Topic: Non CPU data in EXIF data  (Read 3698 times)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Non CPU data in EXIF data
« on: April 02, 2018, 18:30:20 »
I wonder if I have got it wrong, but I can’t see the max aperture value in the EXIF data.
The problem is that I have two 105mm lenses, one f4.0 and the other f2.5, when looking at the files back home it is not possible to see which one was used, unless the f value is under 4.0 ;)
Any help?

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Non CPU data in EXIF data
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 18:54:07 »
Same problem. I don't understand why the manual input of FL and maximum aperture into the non-CPU lens menu does not result into copying those values into the EXIF data (on D800 and Df). That should be an easy firmware fix. Currently, I manually tag the pics with lens data in LR.
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 19:09:15 »
Have you listed the entire set of EXIF values for these NEFs? The maximum aperture value is stored in several different places not all of which are read by standard programs.

Use, for example, EXIFTool and the list-all command contained therein.

EXIFTool -l -f *.NEF

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 19:19:12 »
I used Nikon’s own software, but the value was set to 0.
Will try EXIFtool to see if it is hidden somewhere.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 19:31:58 »
Found it using EXIFtool:
Effective Max Aperture

Strange that Nikons own software don't show it.
Not easy to implement in LightRoom :(

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 19:56:40 »
Found it using EXIFtool:
Effective Max Aperture

Strange that Nikons own software don't show it.
Not easy to implement in LightRoom :(

I use LensTagger (works with ExifTool) as a plug-in in LR to change certain Exif info.
Chris Dees

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 20:20:45 »
The problem is that the info is in place, but not where LR or Nikon look for them, so I would just move the info, it seem that Lenstagger don’t read the EXIT data first and let me edit. As it works in my short test is that it just want be to put data in, but I am not able to find the right file at first.
Any suggestions is welcome.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 23:02:47 »
The problem is that the info is in place, but not where LR or Nikon look for them, so I would just move the info, it seem that Lenstagger don’t read the EXIT data first and let me edit. As it works in my short test is that it just want be to put data in, but I am not able to find the right file at first.
Any suggestions is welcome.

Just select the images and put the info where you want it.
Chris Dees

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 23:49:32 »
That would work if all the files was made with the same lense, but they are not, I get back with a mixed bag of files taken with two different 105mm and have select the right ones first to enter the missing data. ???

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 00:13:57 »
If it's important, take a pic of the lens in the bag, or in your hand to show which one you are't using...

I sometimes take a pic of my Garmin hand held GPS to record my location if it's important.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 00:37:17 »
Have you listed the entire set of EXIF values for these NEFs? The maximum aperture value is stored in several different places not all of which are read by standard programs.

Use, for example, EXIFTool and the list-all command contained therein.

EXIFTool -l -f *.NEF

Interestingly, the above command performed in a folder that contains an image captured with the 55mm f/2.8 micro and max aperture set correctly in the D7100 does not show the max aperture - searched for '2.8' in the listing. The 'Max Aperture Value' is listed as 1.0. Perhaps some bodies are better at recording this information than others? Or perhaps my Exif Tool version (9.48) is outdated?
(Usually not an issue for me as all my manual focus lenses in normal use have been chipped).
Øivind Tøien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 02:30:34 »
There are lot of strange incidents in the EXIF world, both with the actual recording of value and the corresponding readout later. Sometimes values are rounded differently from what one expect, for example 4.5 > 4.4, 5.6 > 5.7, etc. This actually differ depending on what combination of lens, camera, and software is used. Some cameras, in particular earlier models, did not record the full range of EXIF information compared to the latest models. Early Fujis were very poor and the same applied to the first Panasonics I used. Thus programming an EXIF interpreter isn't trivial.

Most Nikons support GPS recording if the NMEA data is fed to the camera. Very convenient and a must for my own work.

It's probably a pity I had to abandon my CPU lens project due to perceived lack of interest. Having dedicated and fully programmed CPUs inserted into the manual lenses solved neatly the issues discussed in this thread. Virtually all my manual lenses are CPU-enabled.

Lorne

• NG Supporter
  • it started with a Nikkormat
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 04:45:15 »
Bent,

You could assign one of your lenses to 100mm and the other to 105mm. Just need to remember to switch lens numbers before shooting.

It is a pity that the maximum aperture we chose in the non-CPU data field doesn't appear in the EXIF data.
Frequently wrong, seldom in doubt

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 08:32:30 »
Hi Lorne
Yes it seems to be the fastest solution, as Nikon is hiding the right value in makers notes in the EXIF.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 12:38:31 »
You could assign one of your lenses to 100mm and the other to 105mm. Just need to remember to switch lens numbers before shooting.

Indeed : My Summicron R is called 55/2.0, and the Tamron 90/2.5 macro has got a FL of 86mm since 90 was not available :)

As far as chipping is concerned, well, surgery was always frightening to me. I cannot imagine the Noct having to suffer that :(
Airy Magnien