Author Topic: Backup from dslr to external drive?  (Read 9180 times)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: Backup from dslr to external drive?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 23:25:10 »
So I can offload 2,000 NEF's from my D3, in a timely manner, after a day's shooting, into my iPad and review them before dark?

Somehow doubt it.

That's what I would like to be able to do but without spending a bunch of cash I can't see it happening.  Given it's just for fun that isn't likely.
The 2000 NEF’s might not be feasible ;)
But you if you have one with 128GB, you could save them to the iPad.
I just tested with one file, but I have imported more pictures some months ago.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 08:49:05 »
I tried to unload images onto my iPad Pro, but it's way to slow for my liking.
I use a MBP (512Gb SSD) for initial culling and rating and an 256Gb USB stick as a backup.

For my XQD-cards a use a Sony USB 3.0 reader (came with the card) and that's pretty fast.
Chris Dees

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 09:04:36 »
On a dual memory slot camera one can duplicate within camera so taking extra memory cards for that is an option when one wants to leave out additional fragile equipment while travelling.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 09:36:10 »
How about cull the best and send them to the cloud. Copy everything from the camera to a couple of 2TB or 4TB SSD(s). Now if your cruse ship goes down with all on board your posterity will have the cream of the crop. Salvage divers might even find the SSD(s) and all might be saved.

With a D800 I'd have to copy from my CF card to SD cards. I'd end up with many, many SD cards that I don't care for. I think I'd have an easier time with a couple of SSD(s) and a laptop. I don't like the ideal of a spinning platter for backup on a trip.

That's my 2 cents,

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 16:27:37 »
So I can offload 2,000 NEF's from my D3, in a timely manner, after a day's shooting, into my iPad and review them before dark?

Somehow doubt it.

That's what I would like to be able to do but without spending a bunch of cash I can't see it happening.  Given it's just for fun that isn't likely.
Maybe just spend the approx $100 for a new battery for the Macbook Pro? 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 16:41:49 »

+1
Carl

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 17:50:29 »

Mmmm, low on the priority list at the moment...  Maybe in a couple of months?

It  has two SSD's and is reasonably quick for a 2013 MBP,  I just find myself using it less and less.  It also complicates the processing workflow, although I have Lightroom on the MBP, I can't just slide the images into my Mac Pro, and pick up where I left off.  I have to mess with the LRCat and export them, which I don't want to do.  As a simple receptical it's fine but the cameras now are so reliable that I don't feel the need to review the images like I did in the early days.

My first sortie to a London Botanic garden with the D1 in 2005 left me a bit disappointed, one particular little white flower which I specially wanted to capture was blown out when I first saw it at home.  I was not accustomed to bracketing and the histogram in those days.  It's a 600 mile round trip to re-shoot that image, I have been back twice trying to catch it in full bloom, first time it wasn't even in bud, second time it was well over the top, petals dropping.

Out of interest I ran it through the latest Lr process today.

The memory of that (and some other) failed images was why I got the MBP, but as I said above, when I have driven 300 miles, spent the day walking round a large garden carrying all the gear, then face 300 miles drive home, I really don't feel like reviewing several hundred images before I leave.

I now know to double, or triple check the exposure on bright or white flowers and if in doubt bracket like crazy.  The D3 seems so dependable now that my day is much more relaxed and I see very few exposure issues of that sort. I can just concentrate on finding the flowers and composition.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 22:42:20 »
It  has two SSD's and is reasonably quick for a 2013 MBP,  I just find myself using it less and less.  It also complicates the processing workflow, although I have Lightroom on the MBP, I can't just slide the images into my Mac Pro, and pick up where I left off.  I have to mess with the LRCat and export them, which I don't want to do.  As a simple receptical it's fine but the cameras now are so reliable that I don't feel the need to review the images like I did in the early days.

Just export as a catalog on your MBP (with or without previews) and import that same catalog on your Mac Pro. I do it all the time and it works without any problems.
Chris Dees

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 23:34:19 »
Just export as a catalog on your MBP (with or without previews) and import that same catalog on your Mac Pro. I do it all the time and it works without any problems.

Thanks Chris but that doesn't integrate it with my normal main image catalogue, (unless you know otherwise?) this is one of my quarrels with the Lr cataloguing system, not that I have a better answer!

I used to have numerous catalogues, botanic images, general, family, work, projects, and others relating to external projects.  I have reduced it to two, botanic and general.  This saves all sorts of confusion trying to remember where certain images were, so I have gradually amalgamated them all into one LRCat, apart from the botanic stuff which really is separate and is now cleansed of all incidental personal images, like the kids playing hide-and-seek around the rhododendrons!
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 00:30:20 »
I also used this method, when you have your working library open then just import the the one you made on the MBP into this library. You will have to Copt the picture files as well into where you want, may have to relocate them in the LR catalog

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 11:43:56 »
Thanks Chris but that doesn't integrate it with my normal main image catalogue, (unless you know otherwise?) this is one of my quarrels with the Lr cataloguing system, not that I have a better answer!

I used to have numerous catalogues, botanic images, general, family, work, projects, and others relating to external projects.  I have reduced it to two, botanic and general.  This saves all sorts of confusion trying to remember where certain images were, so I have gradually amalgamated them all into one LRCat, apart from the botanic stuff which really is separate and is now cleansed of all incidental personal images, like the kids playing hide-and-seek around the rhododendrons!

I'm not sure what you mean, it integrates perfectly with my workflow. I can describe how it works for me.
I only have one catalog with a little under 150K images on my iMac (2012). I have a folder structure in my catalog (and disks) like
YYYY
   YYYY-MM-<Name>
      YYYY-MM-<Name>-RAW
         YYYY-MM-DD (only if a trip/event has more days)
            YYYY-MM-DD-Timestamp-<Name>.NEF
When I'm on the road I import (and rename) my images on my MBP (2016) and backup them on an USB-stick (256Gb).
If I have time I cull, rate and do some PP.
When at home I export the folder (with images, without previews) from my MBP to an external disk and import it from that disk to my iMac and I can continue working on the images.
Everything is present; Picks, Ratings, XMP-files, Keywords (only grouping doesn't work).
So basically just two steps (they take some time tho :) ). There's no difference in workflow between my MPB and iMac, same programs/plugins on both machines.

Hope this helps. :)
Chris Dees

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2018, 00:49:23 »
Backup directly from dslr to external drive without the in-between of laptop or pc?

You probably already have the smart OS part of the requirement .. in your phone!
That is, if you have a smartphone, all you then need is a capable device to do the connections.

Have a look at a RAVPower FileHub Plus type device.
You can get them with good powerbank capacity too, which will power a HDD for long enough to do the transfers.

ie. shoot the images to a SD card, connect the portable HDD(SSD's use less power!!), insert the SD card with the camera images into the FileHub Plus .. and use your phone to do the transfer interface.

It all depends on your phone type too tho.

Filehub plus are about USD $40-ish or so.
Arthur

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 05:45:55 »
Arthur, looks promising.  I would really need to do a cull of obvious deletes while card is still in the camera  ;) .  Price n India about $120.  Need to check UK prices while my wife is still there.  I can see my teenage son using for his Smartphone images.  We have many External Hard Drives  :)
Many thanks for the pointer.
Tom
Edit: Just ordered from Amazon UK Prime delivery tomorrow.  39  UK Pounds  :)
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2018, 07:38:25 »
Gnarbox is a device that will be usable.
There is a full review of it on www.photographylife.com
John Gallagher

Seapy

• NG Member
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK