Author Topic: At a European wedding  (Read 1669 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
At a European wedding
« on: July 14, 2015, 17:25:07 »
The bride was Romanian, the bridegroom was Bulgarian, his family went through Hungary and Berlin, the spouses met in France ten years ago, they were married at the greek orthodox church in Lille by a Bulgarian pope assisted by his greek colleague answering in old slavonic and, like Babylon before the curse, nobody was confused because the challenge is not for everybody to speak the same language, but for each one to understand each others' speech.

The above portrait is from a Berlin member of the family. Df, 50/1.8G @ f/6.3

I did otherwise a regular shoot. There was a hired photographer using conventional means (incl. flashlight) and I complemented her job with odd shots in ambient lighting. I even portrayed her, so she is to be found at least once in the album.

By the way, doing a full wedding with a 50mm lens seems OK. Some cropping will help at times. But this was an intimate ceremony and "getting closer" was always possible (without flashlight and with the Df in quiet mode, it is fine). The other photographer's Pentax was by the way very quiet, even better than the Df in that respect.
Airy Magnien

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Re: At a European wedding
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 17:41:22 »
Great portrait. A very impressive multi-cultural event. I wish them lifetime of happiness.

Gary

(PS- If you want quiet - try mirrorless,  :) )
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 18:07:01 »
Gary, thanks for your wishes. And by the way, I have some mirrorless gear (OM-D). In this particular case, I shot without looking through the OVF, mirrorless-style...
Airy Magnien

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 18:26:34 »
Really like this one. unusual in that he is looking upwards - but that is what makes it a beautiful image to me.
The half smile adds emotion.

well now about the photos and not the man - its a great photo :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 18:35:55 »
The shot was taken from "below". AF is sometimes useful and sometimes works ;)
Airy Magnien

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 18:42:08 »
The shot was taken from "below". AF is sometimes useful and sometimes works ;)

This peculiar lens with this peculiar camera makes a wonderful duo :-) Of course the subject's happiness and the photographer's talent is everything... :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 18:52:19 »
Indeed Jacques, at first I thought it odd to pair that cheap lens with that expensive camera designed for old farts like me (what about a revival of the 58/1.2 ?), but with hindsight... Fact is, I have never been disappointed. Very good rendering, good night behaviour, better at 1.8 than the 50/1.4G IMHO (despite the considerable vignetting).
Airy Magnien