Author Topic: The Printing Nikkors Compared  (Read 6683 times)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
Re: The Printing Nikkors Compared
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 13:13:32 »
Sorry, but I don't know what 105IXL3p5 is.

The Qioptic LINOS Inspec.x L 4/105 3.5X lens most likely...

Unbelievable MTF actually ...

Data sheet is here: https://www.qioptiq-shop.com/out/Graphics/en/00121307_0.pdf
formerly known as kds315

ray_parkhurst

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 21:58:14 »
Sorry, but I don't know what 105IXL3p5 is.

Sorry for my shorthand. As Klaus says it is the Linos/Rodenstock 105mm f4 Inspec.x L 3.5x line scan lens.

Unbelievable MTF actually ...

Those MTFs, like all Qioptic/Linos/Rodenstock MTFs, are simulated, not measured.

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 00:34:36 »
Thanks for this post! Very informative. But am I not correct that there are two versions of the 105? What I saw in coinimaging was that there were some definite improvements in the later A version.

I would also be very interested in knowing if there are any posted comparisons between the newer and older versions of the 105mm f5.6 APO El Nikkor.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 01:05:44 »
Thanks for this post! Very informative. But am I not correct that there are two versions of the 105? What I saw in coinimaging was that there were some definite improvements in the later A version.

I would also be very interested in knowing if there are any posted comparisons between the newer and older versions of the 105mm f5.6 APO El Nikkor.

I had both Apo EL-Nikkors 105mm, personally I prefer the newer type (and kept it) with Quartz Fluorid optics; the older type only use optical glass. The newer type covers a larger image diameter than the older one, but it has been said its performamce is somewhat temperature dependent; I never noticed this. It is an outstanding lens.

Here are the brochures:
New type: http://www.savazzi.net/download/manuals/Apo-EL-Nikkor_1.pdf
Old type: http://www.savazzi.net/download/manuals/Apo-EL-Nikkor_2.pdf
formerly known as kds315

ray_parkhurst

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 14:20:46 »

I believe there are actually 3 versions of the 105: the original version, with fewer elements, curved front and rear elements, and painted case. This version is contemporary with the first version of the 150, which had the magnification adjustment ring. The A version of the 105 had more elements (14 vs 12), flat front and rear elements, and anodized case. Optically the 105A version has better coverage, with flat performance out to 62mm, making it useful for line scan applications. Indeed most of the 105's I've seen were removed from service in quality inspection systems, not their original film copy application. The third version is still being manufactured today by Tochigi Nikon, and although I've heard rumors it is different from the A version (for ROHS), I don't have any info on the its performance.

I had both Apo EL-Nikkors 105mm, personally I prefer the newer type (and kept it) with Quartz Fluorid optics; the older type only use optical glass. The newer type covers a larger image diameter than the older one, but it has been said its performamce is somewhat temperature dependent; I never noticed this. It is an outstanding lens.

I have also owned and used both types for taking, but never pushed either to their coverage limits. Both were excellent performers, but I rarely used them. I liken them to owning a large gem, which only comes out of the safe for special occasions.