Author Topic: Will Nikon Re-Invent the AI-S?  (Read 14753 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Will Nikon Re-Invent the AI-S?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 02:42:04 »
I spent years wishing/dreaming about the perfect camera and ultimate lens lineup. It never helped me to take better pictures.
Even if they existed I probably couldn't afford it. :o :o

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 03:33:33 »
I spent years wishing/dreaming about the perfect camera and ultimate lens lineup. It never helped me to take better pictures.

That's the die-hard truth!   :o :o :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 04:03:53 »

the Df is now cheap. I can help you source one if you want (with warranty)  :o :o :o

the Nikon mirrorless is NOT going to be cheap.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 04:55:44 »
the Df is now cheap. I can help you source one if you want (with warranty)  :o :o :o

the Nikon mirrorless is NOT going to be cheap.

I love my Df, but am saving for mirrorless Ds.

JKoerner007

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2018, 13:24:54 »
Being a strong believer of "form follows function" concept, I've never cared for golden ring, red ring, red circle or whatever.   8)

"Form follows function" is more applicable to the evolution of living creatures.

With lenses, they can be selectively colored/designed many different ways, on the exterior, using either premium (or budget) material, without harming the function too bad.

So let's not deceive ourselves and admit that, even if the glass function is relatively equal in two lenses, on the inside, the one having superior design, ergonomics, material, and aesthetics on the outside will be considered the overall premium choice.

JKoerner007

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2018, 13:29:48 »

"Dreaming" about the perfect camera and ultimate lens setup may not help you take better pictures, but acting on that dream, and actually purchasing the items, will definitely do exactly that.

To deny that superior equipment will, in many cases, if not most cases, produce superior results is to deny reality.

Further, dreams and visions, acted upon, form the recipe of how every advancement known to man takes place ... advancements surely have not come from complacency and/or a lack of imagination.

In Japan, the work "Kaizen" means "continuous positive improvement," which can only come from dreams and the ability to imagine "how this could be better."

That is a different problem altogether ... but, here again, where there's a will, there's a way ;)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2018, 14:33:04 »
"Form follows function" is more applicable to the evolution of living creatures.

Shapes of grips, arrangements of buttons, torques of levers, etc. are refined according to the very concept.

I don't see any functions in the golden rings other than attracting thieves.   :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2018, 15:09:57 »

Nice, never seen these before, looks a bit thick but I guess they work very nicely :) Thanks

Erik
I found this and use on my 28mm Elmarit with a missing focus tab - they make them for larger lenses too

http://www.lenstab.com/

JJ

JKoerner007

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2018, 15:14:43 »
Shapes of grips, arrangements of buttons, torques of levers, etc. are refined according to the very concept.

Agreed ... as in the ISO button finally put into a more intuitive position in the D500/D850.

Also, now, the removal of mirrors as 'no longer necessary' ...

I don't see any functions in the golden rings other than attracting thieves.   :D

Here, let me help you: the look of class translates to inner ownership satisfaction in the consumer ... which translates to higher price commanded by the merchant.

True, part of the deal in owning "desirable merchandise" is it makes them more likely targets for thieves ...

However, the flipside to that is, part of the penalty in LACK of desirability is, therefore, lack of ownership satisfaction ;)

OCD

• Obsessive Corgi Disorder
  • NG Member
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2018, 16:34:25 »
What is your point?  Are you founding a religion?  Are you not to stop until we all agree with your version of the "truth"?  Your tone tends aggressive when others do not agree with you.

One of the things I like about this web site is that there are many different opinions living in peace.  Not one better or worse than the other, only personal viewpoints.  It is not necessary to have others agree with my opinion, whatever works for me is fine.  I use what works for me, I discard what doesn't.  Nothing personal, and I appreciate the other folks on this web site sharing their experiences with me, I have learned a lot from them.

In my opinion you are too strident in making your opinion known.  The first round of this discussion was sufficient, but as others share that they think and feel differently you keep at it too strong.  Is it really necessary for everyone to agree with you?  Are you so certain that what works best for you should be how everyone feels about it?  And why does it matter?

It's not a good vibe.  It's borderline impolite.

You've made known your hope for future Nikon lenses.  You've made known your feelings toward Ai-S lenses made more than 30-40 years ago.  Good for you.  I suggest we move on from this wish list activity, and treat one another's opinions with due respect even when we disagree.

JKoerner007

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 17:02:03 »
What is your point?  Are you founding a religion?  Are you not to stop until we all agree with your version of the "truth"?  Your tone tends aggressive when others do not agree with you.

One of the things I like about this web site is that there are many different opinions living in peace.  Not one better or worse than the other, only personal viewpoints.  It is not necessary to have others agree with my opinion, whatever works for me is fine.  I use what works for me, I discard what doesn't.  Nothing personal, and I appreciate the other folks on this web site sharing their experiences with me, I have learned a lot from them.

In my opinion you are too strident in making your opinion known.  The first round of this discussion was sufficient, but as others share that they think and feel differently you keep at it too strong.  Is it really necessary for everyone to agree with you?  Are you so certain that what works best for you should be how everyone feels about it?  And why does it matter?

It's not a good vibe.  It's borderline impolite.

You've made known your hope for future Nikon lenses.  You've made known your feelings toward Ai-S lenses made more than 30-40 years ago.  Good for you.  I suggest we move on from this wish list activity, and treat one another's opinions with due respect even when we disagree.

Speaking of "loud, rude, and strident," I hope you enjoy the irony that your own post is a classic example of "The pot calling the kettle 'black'" ;)

Please realize that, if reading the continued progress of opinions on this subject displeases you, that you do have the option of "choosing not to read" ever at your disposal ...

That said, I was trying to be 'playful' with the previous dialogues, while still maintaining my point, but sometimes the gist doesn't translate well in posts  :-\

OCD

• Obsessive Corgi Disorder
  • NG Member
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2018, 23:24:03 »
Gonna try and spin off this thread in a positive direction by channeling some David Hartman.

My most wished for lens:  105mm f/2.5 AF-P VR.  As small and light as possible.   Modernize the classic.

Okay...anyone else have one lens that they are pining away for?  Just one though, we don't want to crash the server at NikonGear.

JKoerner007

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2018, 00:45:49 »
Okay...anyone else have one lens that they are pining away for?  Just one though, we don't want to crash the server at NikonGear.

Good save, OCD, I'll play 8)

Ugh ... it's impossible to condense my response into one lens though ... so I will narrow it down as best I can :-X :-\

Auto Focus:
Nikon already has some superb AF E lenses ... and, as things stand, I have two more to buy.
However, if they added these to their existing profiles, I would immediately pick-up both of the following as well:
  • A new AF-S Nikkor 14-24 f/2E FL ED; or
  • A new AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.2E ED

Manual Focus (per the thread):
In this spirit of this thread topic, I would honestly purchase just about every single MF prime Nikon came out with, if they went back to the elder casing + their modern tech.
I will narrow it down to my 3 favorite MF focal lengths (with fabricated insignia ;) ):
  • A new Nikkor 20mm f/1.4 N・C ED; or
  • A new Nikkor 28mm f/1.4E N・C ED; or
  • A new Nikkor 50mm f/1.2E N・C ED
These are my most-used MF focal lengths in the field.
If Nikon would make these lenses, with the same unparalleled craftsmanship as their old "N・C / S・C / UD Auto" series ... but upgrade the glass to the finest they're capable of ... I would likely buy them all, as time/money would permit :D

The thrust of this thread topic was picturing these great, impeccable elder, Nikkor MF lens bodies ... not with 30 year old glass (as they have now) ... but with the best Nikon has replacing the outdated.

These old lenses are better-built than anything Zeiss (or Voigtländer) has ever come up with ... and Nikon has it in them to beat these guys with their tech, too, if they so desired.

Keeps me awake at night ;D

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2018, 01:34:11 »
I would like to see Nikon authorize Ai and Ais kits to upgrade these lenses to Ai-p. Perhaps they could othorize kits for some pre-Ai lenses also. Nikon might have a joint venture with another company and Nikon would test and supervise the project to insure the quality and compatibility of the products.

My first Nikon system was all metal focus ring style except for my 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor-P. I felt the neoprene focus grips on the K lenses and later was a downgrade. It may have been a cost control to offset raising cost of labor. Any way I don't expect Nikon to ever offer such lenses except as commemorative lenses.

I do remember my 20/3.5 Nikkor-UD fondly and would like to own another one.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

JKoerner007

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2018, 15:23:43 »
I would like to see Nikon authorize Ai and Ais kits to upgrade these lenses to Ai-p. Perhaps they could othorize kits for some pre-Ai lenses also. Nikon might have a joint venture with another company and Nikon would test and supervise the project to insure the quality and compatibility of the products.

My first Nikon system was all metal focus ring style except for my 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor-P. I felt the neoprene focus grips on the K lenses and later was a downgrade. It may have been a cost control to offset raising cost of labor. Any way I don't expect Nikon to ever offer such lenses except as commemorative lenses.

I do remember my 20/3.5 Nikkor-UD fondly and would like to own another one.

Dave Hartman

Agreed, a resurgence in AI Kits would be nice.

I am waiting for my final pre-AI lens to arrive before sending them off to be "Ai'd" by John White.

In the meantime, I had an opportunity to utilize the 20/3.5 UD, reversed, just for fun. What's interesting is while the 20 f/2.8 AIS has a 3.4x reproduction ratio, reversed ... the elder 20mm f/3.5 has a 3.6x reproduction ratio, reversed.

Here's a full frame shot of a US dime, to illustrate how close this is, using the above 20/3.5 lens, taken with a D500.
With the added 1.5x crop, its an equivalent framing of 5.4x magnification on a FF (or 6.6mm of coverage filling the sensor, edge-to-edge).