Author Topic: old lens  (Read 1940 times)

Grahame Hamblin

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
old lens
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:30:23 »
used an old projection lens attached with a bit of rubber innertube
Grahame

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: old lens
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 07:01:33 »
The vignetting..whether natural or added in post...is annoying.  Any way to bring out more of the darkened area?
I like your 'inner tube as bag bellows' idea. 
Keep shooting these.
Have you ever noticed that in Dr. Klaus Schmidt's projection lens shots, even if most of the frame consists of fascinating out-of-focus bokeh, there is usually one thing or one plane of sharp focus.  That might be a direction to explore.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 07:22:20 »
Have you ever noticed that in Dr. Klaus Schmidt's projection lens shots, even if most of the frame consists of fascinating out-of-focus bokeh, there is usually one thing or one plane of sharp focus.  That might be a direction to explore.
In computer graphics there is a place on the spectrum between extreme facial realism and cartoon which they can the “uncanny valley”. It is a level of realism of depicting humans that is almost real, but just enough unreal that humans feel uncomfortable viewing it.

I think this image falls into a similar gap for images. There is no place of real sharp image, but it is close enough to being sharp that it is not truly blurry.

As pluton points out, Klaus Schmidt’s images play the two aspects off each other quite effectively.

I encourage further experimentation!

Grahame Hamblin

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 19:16:44 »
thank you both will keep playing.
Grahame

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 22:49:11 »
The vignetting..whether natural or added in post...is annoying.  Any way to bring out more of the darkened area?
I like your 'inner tube as bag bellows' idea. 
Keep shooting these.

Yes, Klaus' projection lens thread is fascinating.  Bear in mind that he is using m4/3 cameras, so the vignetting is (much) less of a problem for him.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira