Author Topic: Tamron 100-400mm and Tap in console  (Read 1179 times)

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
Tamron 100-400mm and Tap in console
« on: March 11, 2018, 10:00:40 »
If any of you read Nikon Rumors you will be into this ....
so I buy the Tamron 100-400mm ..good price about £450 grey.  Now if the tap in console did not exist I would be as happy as the proverbial pig in sh1t .  I would put it on my camera ,do the fine focus at 400mm ,repeat on all 5 cameras and be happy. But no I go buy the tap in console and discover all those lovely numbers ... But no those only work on one of my cameras. for the others I must match a default value to the lens for 4 of my 5 cameras  .  This makes me very unhappy....do I go the default route or just sell the tap in and pretend it never existed ?
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Re: Tamron 100-400mm and Tap in console
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 14:31:01 »
In my experience with Tamron lenses, they work really well on Nikon bodies. I have tried many, and own one of them. I heard somewhere that Tamron actually pays to get certified from Nikon for Nikon's AF algorithms, not sure if it's true or not.

Anyway. I bought my Tamron 45mm VC from Ebay during a 20% off promotion, the package included a free tap-in console. I paid 399*0.8+40+17=376.2USD, $40 is postage and $17 is the robbery also known as exchange fee, I used the wrong card. I have a low rate one, oh well.

I tried the lens on my bodies, and it worked flawlessly, AF is extrenely fast and snappy for both far and close objects. I sold the tap-in console for $60 new. I only ended up paying $316.2 for the lens. $320 essentially for a fast, stabilised, superb 45mm. This is just unbeatable. Maybe I'm good at this stuff due to being Chinese and having a grandpa who started from buying low and selling high :P, and ultimately started a thriving business, go figure haha.

My suggestion is to just sell that thing if your lens performs perfectly. You can always dial in some in-camera tuning.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 14:47:30 »
I am getting great results from my 100-400 on a D850. It took about 5 minutes to dial it in by taking shots of a big ruler at a 45 degree angle.  AF is much better than a Nikon 70-300 VR.  Just stick the console in a closet in case you ever have to update the lens firmware.

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 18:45:14 »
Good advice Ron ..I have a trip to the Somme in france in early april and will do some testing before I go and come to a conclusion...will let you all know .
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance