Author Topic: Forbidden Shores  (Read 1263 times)

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
Forbidden Shores
« on: March 10, 2018, 00:39:52 »
Forbidden Shores by Ron Scubadiver, on Flickr

50mm f/1.4G, Milford Sound, New Zealand

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: Forbidden Shores
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 12:01:51 »
I have never been to New Zealand - so had no idea what it looks like out of the cities. Lots of lovely mood in the image.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 12:46:27 »
Ron, another nice image from your NZ trip.

Elsa, this image is typical of scenes to be found in the NZ fiords, which are located along the south west coast of NZ's South Island.  Annual rainfall is in excess of 200" (>5,000mm/annum or >5m/annum if you prefer).
Hugh Gunn

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 14:04:03 »
Thank you Hugh.

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 04:43:45 »
Stunning image Ron

Hugh, thanks for the information. I had no idea any place could get that much rain!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 07:20:14 »
Peter, the Roaring Forties is a well known weather pattern to sailors and airmen and it is these winds that bring much rain onto the western slopes of NZ's west coast mountain areas.  Parts of Tasmania suffer from excessive rainfalls for the same reason.
Hugh Gunn

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 14:56:50 »
Thank you Peter and Elsa.  Despite the very high annual levels of rainfall, this was the first wet day after several dry weeks.  It resulted in trees sliding off steep slopes and delays as we drove north the next day.  Both Hawaii and the Olympic peninsula of Washington State have similar high rain accumulations and beautiful rain forests.  It takes the right combination of mountains near the sea and moisture laden prevailing winds.  Note that during Hurricane Harvey some locations in Texas received 60" of rain in two days. 

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 16:40:28 »
Thanks for the information Hugh and Ron.

60" in two days! I get excited if I get 60mm in two days. My best rainy season here has been about 48" in a year. And this is one of the higher rainfall areas of South Africa.

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 02:23:10 »
Thanks for the information Hugh and Ron.

60" in two days! I get excited if I get 60mm in two days. My best rainy season here has been about 48" in a year. And this is one of the higher rainfall areas of South Africa.

Peter, the August flood (Hurricane Harvey) did $180B in damages, perhaps the most expensive natural disaster in history. It destroyed my house and a total of over 330,000 in Texas plus 68 drowned in the city and more elsewhere.  Depending on who you ask this was a 40,000 year flood, 1,000 year flood, 100 year flood or 30 year flood.  That's scary.  We are in the process of closing on a new house.  It's at a better elevation, but this city is flat like a frying pan.  You live in a really beautiful country.  I can't wait to visit again and photograph lions, elephants and of course, people.

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 11:18:02 »
Ron, I am sorry about your house, and I do hope your new one never floods.

Thank you for the compliment. Should you come back here, and should you land in Johannesburg, do give me a shout? I live quite close to the airport.