Author Topic: NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED (The Best Hiking Telephoto Lens ever)  (Read 21692 times)

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
Re: NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED (The Best Hiking Telephoto Lens ever)
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2018, 13:42:34 »
over the years birds have learned that some moves are more threatening than others. Aiming something at them is not considered a friendly gesture :)

Building up on John's answer, you can look for places where they are used to people doing different moves, like the exercise spot in a park. You can also freeze and only move when they don't look at you, if they stay put long enough, of course. I'm also using a military camo scarf to break the shape. It does not always work but it is often very useful.
Bruno Schröder

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2018, 15:05:55 »
Bruno, thank you for the further advice.

Here in Tokyo, the pigeons are fairly accustomed to the human beings.  I posted some images of an eastern turtle dove to "Show Birds" thread sometime ago, and I could shoot it a number of images.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

JKoerner007

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2018, 01:34:03 »
Okay, so how about some more images? 8)

It has been misting/raining here in So. CA over the last couple of days (rare in this arid land), which has created not just much-needed sustenance for the pending spring, but ideal lighting + slower animals (who for the most part are lazy and sulled-up not wanting to move too much). As mentioned in the exchanges between Akira, Bruno, and myself, this setting creates the opportunity for closer approach ... which, in combination with overcast misty-rain light, can create some pleasing results.

That said, here's the take [all images captured hand-held (no tripod necessary)]:

Rainy Day Shots:

Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus) [D500 + 300mm f/4E PF + 1.4 TCE III = ~630mm | 1/640 | f/5.6 | ISO 2000 - 15% cropped-in

California Towhee (Melozone crissalis) [D500 + 300mm f/4E PF + 1.4 TCE III = ~630mm | 1/640 | f/6.3 | ISO 1600 - 7% cropped-in

And so Spring begins ...

Unknown Flowers (Unknown) [D500 + 300mm f/4E PF + 1.4 TCE III = ~630mm | 1/800 | f/6.3 | ISO 2000 - No Crop

Honey Suckle (+ Honey Bee) [D500 + 300mm f/4E PF + 1.4 TCE III = ~630mm | 1/2000 | f/6.3 | ISO 640 - 15% cropped-in

Unknown Flower (Unknown) [D500 + 300mm f/4E PF + 1.4 TCE III = ~630mm | 1/800 | f/6.3 | ISO 2000 - No Crop

Some birds did step out:

Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus)  [D500 + 300mm f/4E PF + 1.4 TCE III = ~630mm | 1/800 | f/5.6 | ISO 2000 - 10% cropped-in

Lesser Goldfinch ♂ (Spinus psaltria) [D500 + 300mm f/4E PF + 1.4 TCE III = ~630mm | 1/800 | f/6.3 | ISO 1600 - 10% cropped-in

Lesser Goldfinch ♀ (Spinus psaltria) [D500 + 300mm f/4E PF + 1.4 TCE III = ~630mm | 1/640 | f/5.6 | ISO 2000 - No Crop

Anna's Hummingbird ♂ (Calypte anna) [D500 + 300mm f/4E PF + 1.4 TCE III = ~630mm | 1/1600 | f/6.3 | ISO 1250 - 60% cropped-in

One last 'Macro':

Unknown Flowers (Unknown) [D500 + 300mm f/4E PF + 1.4 TCE III = ~630mm | 1/2000 | f/6.3 | ISO 640 - No Crop

All of these shots were taken without the burden of a tripod ... a Gimball ... a backpack ... or anything other than a 5.8-inch, 27-oz lens (+ TC) attached to a D500, gripped effortlessly with one hand as I strolled on a mildly-rainy morning.

It's Official: I am caught-up in a torrid love affair with this lens ... the likes of which I've not experienced before :)

Forget engagement; I have an appointment with the Justice of the Peace ... we are married ... the 300 f/4 PF and I, every time I go on a hike ... 'till death do us part :)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2018, 04:52:42 »
John:
I am thoroughly enjoying the beautiful photographs which you have been taking with the incredible 300 PF.

I feel that I am intruding on your most interesting thread but you did ask me to post examples of photographs shot with the 300 PF . . . so here is a shot taken on a D5 with the 300 PF in conjunction with the TC 1-14 iii of a tiny (less than 70 mm beak-to-tail!) Volcano Hummingbird in the rain.
I moved up on him slowly, taking a few shots and then taking a few steps nearer, and he let me get very close before he flew off.

This is a shot of a Nectar-eating Leaf-nosed Bat which I also shot with the 300 PF:

And a portrait of a wild Great Green Macaw, also with he 300 PF:

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
  • I used to think Nikon forever but now Canon user..
    • nikonuser.info
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2018, 09:34:36 »
Wow!
Fantastic images of the hummingbird. Congratulations and thanks for posting.
Kindest regards,
Stany

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2018, 09:46:58 »
I am waiting/hoping for a 600 PF but it's becoming harder and harder to resist this lens ...

Great pictures of the Spotted Towhee and Hummingbird.
Bruno Schröder

JKoerner007

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2018, 14:27:43 »
John:
I am thoroughly enjoying the beautiful photographs which you have been taking with the incredible 300 PF.

I feel that I am intruding on your most interesting thread but you did ask me to post examples of photographs shot with the 300 PF . . . so here is a shot taken on a D5 with the 300 PF in conjunction with the TC 1-14 iii of a tiny (less than 70 mm beak-to-tail!) Volcano Hummingbird in the rain.
I moved up on him slowly, taking a few shots and then taking a few steps nearer, and he let me get very close before he flew off.

This is a shot of a Nectar-eating Leaf-nosed Bat which I also shot with the 300 PF:

And a portrait of a wild Great Green Macaw, also with he 300 PF:

Hello Ann, thank you for your kind words :)

Not 'my' thread at all; it's the Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED's thread :D

Thank you for sharing!

Wow!
Fantastic images of the hummingbird. Congratulations and thanks for posting.
Kindest regards,
Stany

Thank you for stopping by and I appreciate your kind words :)

I am waiting/hoping for a 600 PF but it's becoming harder and harder to resist this lens ...

Great pictures of the Spotted Towhee and Hummingbird.

Thanks, Bruno.

I may opt for a 600 FL (PF?) in the future, but right now my desire to change is zero.

The handling/deployment of the 300mm f/4E PF is so effortless and natural it's difficult to imagine wanting to 'add anything' (throw a wrench into the mix) to what, for me, is the perfect setup.

With the TC III + D600, to have a very nice-quality, compact and comfortable, 630mm is a feeling of freedom (yet capability) I'd encourage you to experience. As Nikon Ambassador Richard Peters said, "It (is) a breath of fresh air  ..."

It really is just that.

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Re: NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED (The best hiking lens ever)
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2018, 14:53:32 »

If you're worried about price, the 70-200 is more expensive than either, and far less desirable as a wildlife lens. It's more a 'nature, sport, and portrait' lens, than for animals (which invariably need far more reach).

Like I said, the 200-500 is capable of producing excellent photos. So is the 300 f/4 PF + 2x TC.

The difference is the 200-500 is 3x the weight, and 3x the length (fully extended), and nowhere near as convenient to deploy. (I personally owned the even bigger, even better, Sigma 150-600mm sport, but it is no fun to go hiking with :o)

While somewhat smaller, the 200-500 remains a behemoth lens compared to the compact 300 PF. Look at both attached to a camera, and remember the fixed prime 300 f/4 PF edges the other in image quality. Of course, we all have different tolerances/preferences, but if a person were to make a benefit/liability line-item assessment chart, for the hiking photographer, the 300 f/4 PF would offer 10+ advantages to every one advantage the 200-500 might have.

The difference is that I already own a 70-200 FL, it will not be sold  ;D
Looking at your recommendations, I've made up my mind. If I ever want a wildlife combo, 300 PF and TC14Eiii there I go! That 200-500 is massive, and I'm guessing it'll be a pain to handhold. Lugging a monopod around brings the advantage of a self defence tool at the expense of trouble juggling it, me no like, it's an extra annoyance! I see you also posted new shots  ;D Let me enjoy them in the meantime.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2018, 18:17:22 »
The difference is that I already own a 70-200 FL, it will not be sold  ;D
Looking at your recommendations, I've made up my mind. If I ever want a wildlife combo, 300 PF and TC14Eiii there I go! That 200-500 is massive, and I'm guessing it'll be a pain to handhold. Lugging a monopod around brings the advantage of a self defence tool at the expense of trouble juggling it, me no like, it's an extra annoyance! I see you also posted new shots  ;D Let me enjoy them in the meantime.

I hauled the 200-500/5.6+D500 through Scotland:

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,3494.0.html

and immediately after exchanged it for the 300PF. What a relief. Most of my shots in the Maastricht Thread are taken with the 300PF+D500:

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,3723.0.html

BTW: What a great meetup!!!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

JKoerner007

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2018, 23:32:28 »
and immediately after exchanged it for the 300PF. What a relief. Most of my shots in the Maastricht Thread are taken with the 300PF+D500:

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,3723.0.html

BTW: What a great meetup!!!

Nice images, Frank, especially these.

Lovely light and bokeh—not to mention a creative way to handle this versatile lens.

JKoerner007

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2018, 04:30:00 »
Looking beautiful while awaiting the rain ...

Anna's Hummingbird ♂
by John A. Koerner II, on Flickr

Daniel Bliss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2018, 01:22:48 »
The thing that blew me away about this lens was last fall in California, when it became clear that it was perfectly realistic to carry it in the pocket of a light jacket and dispense with the bag if necessary while keeping something of a more "normal" angle alongside. It's a liberating lens from this standpoint. I probably need to replace my TC14E though with the III; as good as it is optically with the TC14E, the AF can be finicky and the VR starts working actively against you to the point that you're better off switching it off with the TC attached. Anyone had this experience before with the old versus the new TC?

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2018, 11:45:57 »
I probably need to replace my TC14E though with the III; as good as it is optically with the TC14E, the AF can be finicky and the VR starts working actively against you to the point that you're better off switching it off with the TC attached. Anyone had this experience before with the old versus the new TC?

Which camera body are you using? I think the camera body may have more to do with the VR effects than the generation of the TC-14E. You could talk to Nikon service about this.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2018, 15:28:22 »
Nice images, Frank, especially these.

Lovely light and bokeh—not to mention a creative way to handle this versatile lens.

thank you. Your compliment is greatfully appreciated coming from someone who really knows what he is doing
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2018, 15:30:17 »
the extended 300PF is a great macro lens. 23mm is the sweet spot:

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=6255.30