Author Topic: New-Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 Repair  (Read 2945 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
New-Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 Repair
« on: March 04, 2018, 17:21:44 »
http://richardhaw.com/2018/03/04/repair-new-nikkor-85mm-f-1-8/

in case somebody needs to repair theirs  :o :o :o

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: New-Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 Repair
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 21:04:14 »
Thanks for this look inside one of the best Nikkors of the 'New Nikkor' era. I consider it to be one of the reliable lenses: slight soft effects wide open and surprisingly high resolution when stopped down.  Fully useful on a D800.  I got mine fairly cheap ($150) because of "scratches" on the rear element which are really just surface marks. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 03:02:20 »
it is surprisingly good. i was expecting something similar to the Nikkor-S 50/1.4 but this one exceeded my expectations  :o :o :o

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 03:44:52 »
Based on this conversation I just picked one up. It comes attached to an FT2 which I have absolutely no need for., but at just over a hundred US for the whole kit it was too cheap to pass up. Hope all is in working order.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 04:48:01 »
Based on this conversation I just picked one up. It comes attached to an FT2 which I have absolutely no need for., but at just over a hundred US for the whole kit it was too cheap to pass up. Hope all is in working order.

good luck!  :o :o :o

The FT2 is a nice camera

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 06:28:47 »
Yes - good luck.  Enjoy both the lens and the camera.

The FT2 is indeed a nice camera (and its FT3 younger brother is even nicer!).

The FT2 is a nice camera
Hugh Gunn

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 06:50:46 »

The FT2 is a nice camera
Several years back I bought a very good condition F3 which had always been a dream camera for me when I was just starting out. I can’t imagine putting it aside to use a Nikkormat. I am also snobby and don’t like 35mm film. MF and LF were always more satisfying. Though the Rollei and the Ebony and the big and small graflexes sit idle these days. Just not enough time for all that is involved with that workflow. Maybe some day in the future.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 23:59:11 »
I used your guide yesterday to clean the optics in mine. However, the mighty power of Nikon glue limited my access. A couple of locations no amount of solvent soaking or force worked! You did mention similar experiences in your guide, but I think you have stronger hands than me (or stronger solvent), as I had no option but to give up :-(

I was able to clean away the haze though. Amazing how a small lens element can look apparently perfectly clean, yet need five rounds of HCL + Dusper until the tissue didn’t turn black.

So far I have only used your guides for accessing and cleaning optics, but the sluggish focussing ring on my lens might be enough to spur me into action to do an extensive take apart and cleaning.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 00:29:39 »
try heat. nikon used epoxy on some parts as evident by the burnt peanuts smell it emits when heated :o :o :o

i dont use HCL, i use naphtha and alcohol, i know that i might get cancer down the road but were all going to get there anyway, something that i have accepted when i began dabbling in watch repair and scale modeling many many many years ago ::)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 00:45:14 »

I will try heat next time. I did buy one of those tiny butane burners that attach to lighters, but I never had the courage to use it.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo