Author Topic: Singaporean Saunters  (Read 6665 times)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: Singaporean Saunters
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2018, 15:30:27 »

I hope the reason that Anthony is limited to looking at the photographs on his cell phone means that he is travelling and photographing in some fabulous place and does not mean that there he has suffered a catastrophic computer melt-down?

Indeed, some photos from Sicily to follow shortly.

Unfortunately my iPhone has suffered some sort of melt down, so a trip to the Genius Bar has been booked.
Anthony Macaulay

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2018, 17:04:54 »
A beautiful series of images from a beautiful city, Ann. Thank you for sharing them, I have enjoyed them :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2018, 22:26:20 »
Carl, Akira, Netr and Jakov:

Thank you all for your kind and most encouraging remarks.

Anthony:
I was certain that you would be somewhere exciting!
I am much looking forward to seeing the results of your Sicilian adventure.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Singaporean Saunters: Cloud Forest
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2018, 23:43:22 »
My cameras have always seemed to lead me into some truly beautiful, fascinating and exciting places: Singapore is certainly all of those things.

The problem is that I frequently take photographs because the subject was beautiful or fascinating and I then am filled with a burning desire to learn everything that I can about that object so that my reading and researching ends-up absorbing more of my time than the taking and editing of the photographs.

Singapore’s Flower Dome, the neighbouring Cloud Forest and the Supertrees and especially the engineering and design-work which went into these structures were no exceptions.

Cloud Forest:

This biome was constructed to be an environment for the plants which are to be found growing at high altitudes on tropical mountains. The temperature is maintained in the mid 20°C during daytime and lower at night but humidity is very high and is maintained by mist-emitting jets and the waterfalls flowing from the 100-foot plant-encrusted mountain.

Maintaining those temperatures in tropical sunshine (just a few degrees from the equator) and under glass; requires considerable skills in architectural, engineering, and environmental design.

Numerous flowering plants and Tree Ferns surround hidden glades and more waterfalls.

An escalator inside the mountain takes you to the Lost Garden on the summit.
This pond (supplied by pumps from the base of the falls) at the top is the source for the waterfalls.

Here they are growing orchids and bog plants including a grand collection of Carnivorous plants (Venus Fly Traps, Sundew, Sarracenia, Nepenthes and Heliamphora) which particularly intrigue and delight children.

Around the pond are several sculptures including some Totems from Papua and boats from East Timor.

Various exhibitions which have been installed inside the mountain such as this collection of stalagmites and mineral crystals. (These examples were all rescued from destruction prior to mining operations in different parts of the world.)

Little portholes provide peepholes through the plants growing outside.

You can explore the mountain more fully from the cantilevered walkways and enjoy the views of the surrounding gardens of the Singapore River and Marina Bay . . .

until the hidden water jets spring to life and fill the dome with mist.

----------

Grant Associates (the landscape architecture firm) headed the team which created these gardens on reclaimed land at the mouth of the Singapore River).

The team included Wilkinson Eyre—architects; Atelier Ten—environmental design consultants; Atelier One—structural engineers); Land Design Studio — museum and visitor centre designers; and Thomas Matthews — communication designers) and the following Links show how they constructed these buildings and have controlled, conserved, and recycled water and energy resources to bring their amazingly courageous and pioneering concept to fruition.

http://grant-associates.uk.com/wp-content/uploads/ga_resized/SNG233_N823a-carousel.jpg

http://www.solaripedia.com/13/416/6653/gardens_by_the_bay_cloud_forest.html

https://www.atelierten.com/articles/in-depth-gardens-by-the-bay/

http://grant-associates.uk.com/

http://www.wilkinsoneyre.com/projects/cooled-conservatories-gardens-by-the-bay

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2018, 00:06:19 »
Ann, you make me want to visit this botanical park!  The carnivorous plants are amazing.

Is the distortion of these fisheye images unadjusted?  Or, do you adjust the amount of de-fishing to your taste according to each image?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2018, 00:26:02 »
You would love Singapore and these amazing gardens — and they are not that far away from you either!

Never mind the lost Hanging Gardens of Babylon: these Singaporean gardens have to be among the Wonders of the Modern World.

Concerning Mr. Fish:
I do adjust the amount of distortion individually and after the fact to best suit the image and tell the story.

I was also using my 24-70 mm in the Cloud Forest and I manually adjust distortion for that lens too.
I find thatPs and ACR's Lens Adjustments/Auto is much too strong and it also affects resolution perceptibly.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2018, 00:35:31 »
Concerning Mr. Fish:
I do adjust the amount of distortion individually and after the fact to best suit the image and tell the story.

I was also using my 24-70 mm in the Cloud Forest and I manually adjust distortion for that lens too.
I find thatPs and ACR's Lens Adjustments/Auto is much too strong and it also affects resolution perceptibly.

Thank you for the explanation and the tip.  Your use of the fisheye is a good food for thought!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira