Author Topic: Help!!! What’s this on my D810 NEF files??...  (Read 5366 times)

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• Nature and Landscape Photographer, Educated as a press Photographer for almost 30 years ago.
  • NG Member
  • You and me, -Are the real legacy of Nikon
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
Help!!! What’s this on my D810 NEF files??...
« on: February 19, 2018, 08:01:34 »
Hi all
Bjørn has bought another apartment so he’s moving his last things these days, and I cannot stop thinking about what’s the matter with my D810 images, and since my dearest Bjørn is away and can’t answer my questions in a few seconds -as usual, I just have to ask you guys, as I just cannot stop thinking about this..
These are three raw images from my D810 imported as usual into Lr CC classic, the vertical one is the only one a bit edited, the two others I’ve only saved to jpeg to show you my headache reason...
Firstly, I want to ask; Do you see it? ??? ?
My wife can’t see it immediately but after I point it out, she does.. I won’t point it out to you right yet, but look at the images and comment. There’s an artefact on all three images that just flashes in my eyes, and ruins the entire image, I cannot use these..

If you see it, WHAT IS THIS? ???

I’ve had this issue earlier with the D3X, the D800E, (and perhaps with some others cameras), but then it didn’t show before I had edited the shots quite a bit..
"The colour of light is almighty, it gives us not only day and night but the entire shape of life" - Patrick Pedersen

-Proud Nikon FE2 owner since a age of 9!-

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• Nature and Landscape Photographer, Educated as a press Photographer for almost 30 years ago.
  • NG Member
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
Re: Help!!! What’s this on my D810 NEF files??...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 08:21:32 »
Tell me you see it!!???!!???...🧐😱😱😨😰😰😥
"The colour of light is almighty, it gives us not only day and night but the entire shape of life" - Patrick Pedersen

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 08:35:26 »
Do you mean the impression of dark vertical banding most obvious towards the right side but also visible on the left? 

If so, try one of: look at a magnified view of those areas - I used Preview on my Mac; bring the image up in Lightroom or equivalent and use a sheet of plain paper to cover parts of the image where the banding appears.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 08:38:58 »
I might see something, but it is the same way regardless of the picture orientation, so maybe the artifact comes from the processing in the computer?
I see some wavy stripes in light areas.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 08:39:48 »
#2 has a big dust spot but that is likely not the issue as I am sure you are familir with those. In #1 there are some subtle vertical stripes/color variations. The strange thing is I see a tendendy for this in #2 but then the stripes are still vertical in the image and not related to the apparent orientation of the sensor. Not sure about #3. That makes me wonder if there is something about the location. The sky sometimes is sensitive to what happens on the ground, for instance in the arctic, the sky over open water is known to have a darker color than the that over ice.  It might be a long shot, but could be a similar effect of land v.s sea. In other words, to rule out the location, do you have images from a completely different site showing the same?
(Edited in parallel with Bent's message).

Edit: To rule of the processing side could you try a straight JPG conversion in Capture NX-D or ViewNX-i ?
Edit2: I  now see the stripes are extending down into the sea so the land-sea hypothesis effect on the sky is not supported.
Øivind Tøien

chambeshi

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 08:40:47 »
Yes I see the faintest "zebra-stripes" vertical on the outer portions!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 08:57:29 »
Do you mean the impression of dark vertical banding most obvious towards the right side but also visible on the left? 

I can see that, too.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 08:58:13 »
1) I see some cool nature shots

2) I see some HDR processing: amplification of subtle density variations in the RAW to an extent that can be percieved as disturbing (does not disturb me)

3) I see some JPEG compression artifacts that are most likely caused by saving drafts into a destructive format.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 08:59:06 »
The streaking could be left from a not so successful sensor cleaning, cleaning marks on the sensor surface, like the dust bunnies,,, if they are in the same spot so to say :)

Could be front glass smudge, if on one lens, if wide angle on even a smear on the rearmost glass element surface.

Yes, not usable,,,
Erik Lund

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 10:41:53 »
You can post images up to 2.5MB and or 4000x3000px I believe. I see the banding, but also a lot of artefacts, may be due to the high compression rate.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• NG Member
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 11:06:23 »
Hi guys, and thank you all for your replies, I appreciate each and every one!!

Yes, you guys see it! On my horizontal shots the magenta/red “stripes” runs vertical, but I cannot wrap my head around why it shows up as vertical “stripes” on my vertical shot...

Frank:
It ain’t no HDR! But thanks 🙏 for liking my images, although they’re not developed.. Only the vertical one is edited.

Eric: The sensor has never been cleaned yet, I bought the camera a bit over a year ago and I’ve had a depression that has lasted longer than this, so it’s just a few days ago I began to come out of this depression! So I’m finally back and I’m more than eager to get working full time with photography again! The lens is Bjørns 14-24 2.8, and I used a GND on a few shots and on the longer exposures I used the Little Stopper and GND.

At the end of last years summer I bought a brand new iMac 🖥 5K (with the latest-) -Retina 27” (2017), and because of my depression and anxiety problems I’ve not worked as much as I really would wish.

Now, I got the latest Lr CC Classic (-and the all new edition Lr CC, which I don’t use), Ps CC 2018, Camera raw and Bridge. I have always just imported the images directly into Lr, from the CF card. Then I add them to the destination I want them, and start developing. I don’t copy the files, I add them! (Don’t think this has anything to do with my vertical “stripes” though!)

Anyway, do I need a NEF Codec or what?? I didn’t think I would need a NEF codec as I thought it was already installed on my iMac.
What can possibly be the reason for this artifacts I get on some shots??? It has nothing to do with my long exposures, because it shows on shorter ones too but not as much as on a longer exp.

And no, it’s not only on JPEG it’s on my raw files!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 11:09:08 »
Definitely the filter!
Erik Lund

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• NG Member
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 11:13:26 »

If so, try one of: look at a magnified view of those areas - I used Preview on my Mac; bring the image up in Lightroom or equivalent and use a sheet of plain paper to cover parts of the image where the banding appears.

Yes Les, I mean those vertical banding which is most obvious towards the right side but can also be seen at the other (left) side.
I’ve tried looking at a magnified view but they’re still visible! This is exactly how the raw files are! So it doesn’t come from saving the images to jpg..

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• NG Member
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 11:23:29 »
Definitely the filter!
You think so!? I’m not quite sure about that! BUT, could it be that I didn’t cover Bjørn’s 14-24 with a dark cloth or something, and it might leak a bit.. The lens ain’t built for such long exposures, as my 17-35, I had to tape a black tape around the meter/feet indicator window, because it was leaking light in like hell.
It sound right, that it COULD be the filter(s),as I’m seeing it on my vertical shots too, but then again, why am I seeing it on my GND which is clear at the bottom??

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• NG Member
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 11:29:21 »
I might see something, but it is the same way regardless of the picture orientation, so maybe the artifact comes from the processing in the computer?
I see some wavy stripes in light areas.
I also believe that the artifacts comes from the Mac processing of the image. Like it doesn’t find a proper new codec for the D810.
Only the vertical shot is edited, the two others are just saved unedited to show you guys this!