Author Topic: D500 Card Error issues  (Read 5857 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
D500 Card Error issues
« on: February 18, 2018, 13:59:33 »
Anyone have a card error issue with their D500? 

Before any big event (I have the Arnold Classic coming up March 1-4) I like to function test my cameras that I will be using.   Turns out that my D500 is getting card errors on both XQD(Sony) and SD (Sandisk Extreme Pro) cards.

Nikon repair wants $250 for repair....but it is a bit annoying that they camera is not even 2 years old yet and has not been abused(no drops, not even been in the rain), 10,000 images on it.

Not sure is this is a bad luck with me or a larger issue across the specific camera.   

I shouldn't really complain because over the last 30 some years of photography, I've really only had 2 camera issues.  First being the death of my Fuji S5100, it just stopped working and now this D500 card error issue.
It's not even about the money, but more about the inconvenience of not having the camera that I bought and use, hard core, for this event.

I still have my D700 which is no slouch and I could throw a wide-ish prime on the Df if I want to run all Nikon....or I can throw my 12-35/2.8 on an m43 body and use it for the wider angle stuff.   I'm luckily in a position where I do have choices...including a place locally that I can rent a camera body for the weekend.   All billable to my photo company.   Again....not complaining...just venting a little.

Anyway...off to find a suitable box for the D500 and get it shipped back to Nikon.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

RoyC

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: D500 Card Error issues
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 15:31:27 »
Is the XQD card showing an error when it is the only card in the camera? Most card errors I have read about with the D500 are related to the SD slot.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 16:38:14 »
My D500 has been out in snow and at least -10 degrees Celsius, and have take approx 22.500 pictures, have not seen any problems.
I use both QXD and SD cards, both inserted .jps on SD and NEFs on the XQD. The XQD is Lexar 2933x

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 16:50:21 »
I haven't used D500 or any equipment using XQD card.  But I've experienced SD card error issue on a couple of different gadgets I've used over the years: D7000, D750, GH5 cameras, 13" Mac Book Air, my current PC with an SD card slot.

In general, the errors are mitigated by taking the card in and out a couple of times.

I guess this is a potential problem of the construction of the SD card slots whose contact pins are too weak to retain their elastic force.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 18:01:13 »
Sandisk Cards I do not trust anymore
I have no experience with Sony cards.

All my cards are, after long test runs
SAMSUNG / SD
Lexar 2933x / XQD

No errors of any kind in hard daily professional use with, a moment please:

13.348 clicks on the D850 and 55.603 clicks on the D500

always format in camera before shooting, use second drive as backup in professional setting
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 19:25:14 »
Tested with all card configurations.  XQD only and SD only.  All have issues.

Even tried different cards. 
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 20:51:14 »
It does sound like a camera issues rather than a problem with the cards — especially as it happens with alternative cards.

Before you send the camera to Nikon, it might be worth trying to air-blast the card slots?

Another thought: could it be a battery problem?

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 00:50:36 »
I guess it could be a battery issue, but I only use the genuine battery that came with it.  I verified that it was a newer version after the recall.  Hoping that is not it.   

I'll dig out my rocket blower and run a few passes of air through the card slots and retest.
Andrew

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 01:29:36 »
Ok, so I found my rocket blower and blasted the card ports a few times.

I immediately shot off a string of 50-70 images.  Single and continuous high with no issues.  The only factor that was different was ambient temperature.  I was shooting around with various lenses in my office and no issues.

The other times I was shooting and having those issues, I was outside and shooting one day it was 25F and this last day outside it was 32-35F.  Inside, 70F.

Is that a possible factor?  Tomorrow won't help test that theory because it is supposed to be 60F.   I might run out in the middle of the night tonight and test it out again.  Temperatures are supposed to be in the mid 30Fs.
I REALLY hope there was just some junk up in there, maybe some lint or something was not allowing for a proper connection.  If it is a temperature issue, then that leads me to believe it is a deeper issue, electronically.

Thanks all for the recommendations and suggestions and I will report back with more test results!
Andrew

JKoerner007

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 02:42:33 »
The first D500 I bought (it was an early model) had card-error, after card-error, without end.

Sent it to Nikon repair, twice, nothing changed.

I got rid of my first (early-release) D500, and bought a newer model, over a year later, and have never had a card-read error, not one time.

I suggest you dump your current model, and buy a new one.

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 04:11:52 »
The first D500 I bought (it was an early model) had card-error, after card-error, without end.

Sent it to Nikon repair, twice, nothing changed.

I got rid of my first (early-release) D500, and bought a newer model, over a year later, and have never had a card-read error, not one time.

I suggest you dump your current model, and buy a new one.

As much as I would like to not have this issue, I won't just pass this issue along to someone else.  I'm confident I can get a good resolution to this issue.
Andrew

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 06:07:18 »
Tested with all card configurations.  XQD only and SD only.  All have issues.
Even tried different cards. 

Blame the Cards and blame the card readers.
I once had trouble with a card reader destroying my cards.
Then I got Lexar Professional Workflow Card readers. Problem solved.
Not all cards readers are compatible to all cards.
Esp with SD Cards they seem to have changed specification of cards quite often:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 06:09:25 »
As much as I would like to not have this issue, I won't just pass this issue along to someone else.  I'm confident I can get a good resolution to this issue.

That is honorable. I think if it is Nikon's fault so they have to repair it.

I have one D500 from day one, first batch in Germany. No trouble.

JKoerner007

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 07:20:54 »

There is no mantra with any object that says, "Till death do we part."

People pass along their problems all the time ... lenses with fungus, scratches, dust, etc. ... and there is nothing wrong with this, so long as you disclose the issue.

Now, if you try to pass the camera as "perfect," then you may be in foul territory, but if you say, "has occasional card read trouble," and offer the item at a decent price, there is nothing wrong with doing this.

Go ready the eBay ads ... there are tons and tons and tons of photography items with flaws being sold every day. (Many people actually seek these out in order to get good deals.)

Again, you're not required to "own something till death" ... you can dump it any time you want.

But if you'd prefer to send it back to Nikon forever, and hope for the best, you can do that too :)

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 14:18:04 »
There is no mantra with any object that says, "Till death do we part."

People pass along their problems all the time ... lenses with fungus, scratches, dust, etc. ... and there is nothing wrong with this, so long as you disclose the issue.

Now, if you try to pass the camera as "perfect," then you may be in foul territory, but if you say, "has occasional card read trouble," and offer the item at a decent price, there is nothing wrong with doing this.

Go ready the eBay ads ... there are tons and tons and tons of photography items with flaws being sold every day. (Many people actually seek these out in order to get good deals.)

Again, you're not required to "own something till death" ... you can dump it any time you want.

But if you'd prefer to send it back to Nikon forever, and hope for the best, you can do that too :)

Perhaps you meant something different and I miss interpreted "dump" as something else.   If that is the case, then I apologise.

I've known of way to many people that have problems with their gear and try and pawn them off on others.

Truth is, I need the functionality that the D500 provides.  If I didn't, I'd most likely not own any Nikon camera right now (except the Df) and be running full micro four thirds Olympus kits.

That is not the case, though and as I said, I believe that I and Nikon will be able to come to a satisfactory conclusion to this.  I'm sorry that you had multiple issues with your camera, but that is the first I've heard of the severity of problem you had.

We have a lemon law here in Ohio and if the camera is not fixed correctly for the same issue three tmes, I am entitled to a brand new item or a full refund.  I'm protected, in a way so am apt to follow a certain path on this particular journey.
Andrew