Author Topic: D500 Card Error issues  (Read 5992 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
Re: D500 Card Error issues
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 14:23:38 »
A quick update from last night.

I went out around midnight, 35F and walked around my downtown for about 45 minutes.  Camera on my black rapid strap exposed to the elements.

Rattled off another 100+ images with no issues whatsoever.
I'm hoping that this rocket blower treatment that Ann suggested exposed an issue where perhaps some dirt or debris of some kind got into the card area and was causing issues.

I will test it out more over the next few days and see if it remains stable.  If so, I'll cancel my repair request with Nikon and continue on my merry way.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

JKoerner007

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 17:02:46 »
I've known of way to many people that have problems with their gear and try and pawn them off on others.

No need to apologize, my phraseology was perhaps indelicate ;)

I've known of way to many people that have problems with their gear and try and pawn them off on others.

Again, if there is disclosure of the trouble, so what?

Lenses with scratches, focusing problems, cameras with issues, can all be bought/sold much cheaper than "mint" ...

Sometimes that is the only way certain people can afford such items.

One man's trash ... as the saying goes.

Remember, even Nikon will turn around and sell your camera as "refurbished" to someone else ;)

Truth is, I need the functionality that the D500 provides.  If I didn't, I'd most likely not own any Nikon camera right now (except the Df) and be running full micro four thirds Olympus kits.

I hear you. I need the Nikon D500 as well. It is perfect for what I love to do ...

That is not the case, though and as I said, I believe that I and Nikon will be able to come to a satisfactory conclusion to this.  I'm sorry that you had multiple issues with your camera, but that is the first I've heard of the severity of problem you had.

We have a lemon law here in Ohio and if the camera is not fixed correctly for the same issue three tmes, I am entitled to a brand new item or a full refund.  I'm protected, in a way so am apt to follow a certain path on this particular journey.

D500 card read error troubles were all over the internet at the time. I sent mine in to Nikon, and got my camera back in record time. At first I praised Nikon for their "amazing turnaround time!"

But, sure enough, the problem re-surfaced >:(

(The camera worked fine, 95% of the time, but occasionally would just fail ...)

After sending it in for repair a second time ... and receiving it back "super-fast" again ... only to have the same trouble ... I began to suspect Nikon services were just taking my camera out of my shipping box, placing in their own, and sending it back ;D

Nikon then suggested "the card" was bad, not their D500. I bought a second card, different manufacturer, same problem.

Today both of those same two cards have work flawlessly in my second D500 :D

Good luck to you!

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 17:16:52 »
No need to apologize, my phraseology was perhaps indelicate ;)

Again, if there is disclosure of the trouble, so what?

Lenses with scratches, focusing problems, cameras with issues, can all be bought/sold much cheaper than "mint" ...

Sometimes that is the only way certain people can afford such items.

One man's trash ... as the saying goes.

Remember, even Nikon will turn around and sell your camera as "refurbished" to someone else ;)

I hear what you are saying, but to sell it even with a fully disclosed defect would not get me very much money and I would most likely lose more than it would cost me to have Nikon fix it.

If Nikon takes back my camera knowing full well that they have been told about a fault issue, and the refurbishing process does not correct the fault, that is on them not me.  That's no different than me trading in a used car to a dealership and telling them that there is a hairline crack in the head - they accept the car with that knowledge and do not repair it and sell it to the next person.   I cannot control what another company does.

I will say that if I ever find out and confirm that a company is truly doing that, they would no longer gain any of my business.  I've completely dropped support of my dollars to Sony products over several issues I've had in the past and current business practices.   I make my voice known through where I spend my money.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)