Author Topic: Serious Question: Nikon D500 vs. D5 (Real World Comparison)  (Read 9371 times)

JKoerner007

Re: Serious Question: Nikon D500 vs. D5 (Real World Comparison)
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 15:02:43 »
I talked about sound, not grain

"Shutter-sound" would have been a better way to communicate your meaning, then.

When speaking of camera performance, "noise" means something quite different ;)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 18:50:28 »
"Shutter-sound" would have been a better way to communicate your meaning, then.

When speaking of camera performance, "noise" means something quite different ;)

The context was clear as water, I think?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 23:12:03 »
I am using the D500 and a D4S on a 600/4 lens (amongst others). For my use it turned out that the D500 gets significantly more use because I need the "range" of that combo. Thats one of the reasons why I did not upgrade from D4S to D5. But thats in Europa, the evaluation result might be different in other world regions especially in overseas.
Wolfgang Rehm

JKoerner007

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 23:19:54 »
I am using the D500 and a D4S on a 600/4 lens (amongst others). For my use it turned out that the D500 gets significantly more use because I need the "range" of that combo. Thats one of the reasons why I did not upgrade from D4S to D5. But thats in Europa, the evaluation result might be different in other world regions especially in overseas.

Makes perfect sense.

I think each individual's preference will have to do with their intended subject matter.

If a person is shooting sports, or larger wildlife (where there isn't too much cropping), the superior D5 files make sense.

However, I noticed a lot of dedicated bird photographers prefer the D500, especially if the take a lot of small birds, where the extra pixels of the D500 provide an advantage.

RexGig0

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 18:56:22 »
My experience, at this point, is limited, as I acquired my D500 in November 2017, and my D5 in February 2018, plus, some minor arm/shoulder injuries have limited my hand-held shooting, and I took delivery of a gimbal head only days ago. If “reach” is more important than performance at high ISO, I would think the D500 to be the better choice. If high ISO performance is more important, well, the D5 would seem to be the better choice. These factors are why I bought one of each. (A modest financial windfall enabled the recent purchase of a D5, for myself, and a D850, for my wife.)

This assumes we disregard the factors of frame rate, the D5’s integral vertical grip, and whatever differences may exist in the AF accuracy and acquisition. (I have yet to really test for differences in AF.)
Rex Michael Gigout

BruceLeventhal

• NG Member
  • Nature Photographer / Environmentalist
    • BTLeventhal.com
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2018, 14:01:16 »
I am bumping this old thread because it is an interesting discussion that may gain some new insight given Brad Hill's most recent blog post Link: http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html

I won't rehash his point, but would suggest you consider the following before choosing the D5 or D500... what type of light will you expect to encounter most and how far will you be from your subject. Personally... we have 3 D500's (and a D810 and D610). I am not interested in hauling a 600mm lens about, as I hike quite a bit. I pair the D500 on the 200-400 for the crop factor, but the body w/ its small pixels challenges the resolution of my lens especially at 400mm. I also do a lot of dawn photography, often in flat light that requires iso1600... another challenge for the D500. In an ideal world, I would use a D5 with big pixels... my lens would appear sharper and ISO would not be an issue, but the DX crop is an essential element for my kit. With a 600mm lens, you will benefit from the D5 even if it requires a 1.4xiii converter... those three pieces play nicely with each other.

cheers,
bruce
regards,
bruce

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2018, 15:46:06 »
serious answer? both.

BUT

what if you need higher resolution?

D850

so: all three. Only point for me is 7000€ are not justified for my professional purposes. That is why I wait for the D5 price to drop to 3500€ or less.

PS: now I go out shooting into the sunny day with one camera and one lens. Today? D850&105E
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2018, 12:11:40 »
serious answer? both.

.... Only point for me is 7000€ are not justified for my professional purposes. That is why I wait for the D5 price to drop to 3500€ or less.

€7'000 for a D5 ?? In Switzerland the actual best price (from official Nikon dealer) is €4'430.

https://www.hawk.ch/nikon-d5-body-32gb-xqd-karte-lesegerat.html
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2018, 12:18:10 »
Is that with tax?

I guess some stores may have excess inventory and offer a low price to reduce it.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2018, 12:32:27 »
Hello Ilkka; this is the about overall retail price: the prices rank between €4'400 and 4'700 for the first 10 dealers .  Yes taxes, included, but you have to factor in that the VAT in Switzerland is only 8%. Despite that my country is very expensive; electronics and the like, have traditionally been cheap.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2018, 12:38:24 »
€7'000 for a D5 ?? In Switzerland the actual best price (from official Nikon dealer) is €4'430.
https://www.hawk.ch/nikon-d5-body-32gb-xqd-karte-lesegerat.html

No information about tax. And for the Import into the EU I will have to add 19% import tax = €5272, which is still better than the original €6999 (€5882 net) my local dealer wanted to charge when the camera came out. But it is not worlds apart. In my usage scenario I need the HighISO capability but I neither need the body size nor the speed. I do not shoot sports, because the topic does not interest me very much.

I paid €2700 for one of the first D500 incl. org. battery pack and €4130 for one of the first D850 incl. org. battery pack, but served my very well professionally and in my unpaid projects too.

The cheapest real world price is €4399: https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/2991/nikon_d5_dslr_camera_body_double_xqd_version_(dual_xqd_slots) , but there is no tax declared, so I neither have to pay nor can deduct it

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2018, 12:42:05 »

No information about tax. And for the Import into the EU I will have to add 19% import tax = €5272, .....

..and deduct the 8% Swiss VAT before applying your 19% ... (export goes without VAT) which makes €4'881 in the end.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν