Author Topic: Fall Wood duck  (Read 591 times)

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Fall Wood duck
« on: February 10, 2018, 15:34:18 »
This handsome fellow was imaged several years ago in Cleveland.  There used to be a wonderful park area with multiple ponds and a reliable collection of wood ducks each fall.  I was fortunate to go there for several years in a row.  Through mismanagement and bad luck, it has become a pale shadow of its former glory, and I haven't been back for years.  The water colors from the fall foliage were special.

D700 600VR

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: Fall Wood duck
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 19:05:53 »
Keep up the good work  ;)
Well done.

Lowell

• NG Member
  • Fascinated by photography
    • lowell harris photography
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 20:27:15 »
Randy,

Was this taken at Sunset Pond in the Cleveland Metroparks, North Chagrin Reservation?  If that has fallen into disrepair, that would be horrible.

I have photographed wood ducks there for a decade.  In the past the annual Wood Duck festival was held there every October.

Lowell
Lowell Harris

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 20:36:41 »
Lowell

Yes, North Chagrin.  My understanding is that they drained the pond behind the resource center, and there was a delay in the repair, and it so disrupted the wood ducks that they found other areas to frequent.  I haven't been there since this has happened, but have kept in touch with a local photographer that has told me it wasn't worth the trip anymore.

If you have more recent info or experiences, I would love to hear about it.

Cheers

Randy

Lowell

• NG Member
  • Fascinated by photography
    • lowell harris photography
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 21:12:32 »
Randy,

We moved from the Cleveland area eight years ago, so my experience is from several years ago.  I have not been back.  Sad to hear.  Sunset pond is the upstream body of water with Sanctuary Marsh just downstream.  The combination of the surrounding autumn foliage, and water fowl were without compare!!  Wood ducks, Mergansers,  Coots, Canada Geese, Great Blue Herrons, Green Herrons and of course Mallards.  Fall mornings with mist, fog and bright fall colors with reflections off the water.  A photographers heaven. 

Nice photo by the way.

Lowell
Lowell Harris