Author Topic: Train Station Yangon - 5:40 AM  (Read 1765 times)

The_Traveler

• NG Member
  • Good to be here at the NikonGear
    • lewlortonphoto.com
Train Station Yangon - 5:40 AM
« on: July 12, 2015, 19:05:35 »
Lew Lorton
The_Traveler
a non-technical shooter

The_Traveler

• NG Member
    • lewlortonphoto.com
Re: Train Station Yangon - 5:40 AM
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 19:52:23 »
For those who are interested - Yangon has changed dramatically in the last several years. The junta has yielded some power and there is some opening to the world.  This has resulted in a torrent of cars entering the country along with cell phones and all the major accoutrements that are easily implemented - plus a flood of tourists that overwhelms the outsider-oriented facilities in the major tourist centers. What hasn't changed is the terrible infra-structure like roads and railways. To update these is an enormous cost burden and, so far, the changes are confined to the Yangon and the new capital.
The roads and the rail are still in horrendous condition.
We were taking an early train to an outlying city and had to be at the train station by 6:00 AM . Few or no taxis are available at that time and, although the distance was small, the streets are lit only by light trailing in from surrounding buildings. The sidewalks are broken up and we were lucky to make it without a broken ankle.
The station is also dim - and we were the only Westerners there.
A local guy was happy to take my bag up and down, eventually ending up at what seemed to be the only active track. I gave him a dollar and he was totally happy.
Lew Lorton
The_Traveler
a non-technical shooter

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 20:23:00 »
great pic lew.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 20:23:56 »
Classical Composition. Moody color scape. Room for a hidden story. That is why I like it.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 21:27:11 »
I like the mood in this photo. The station looks the same as in 1985 when I was there. I took the train to Mandalay, on economy class, it wasn't that bad, after removing the dust and cobwebs from the "bed". I shared a four-berth cabin with a young Burmese couple and their child, really great people (as most Burmese I met). But on the return from Mandalay I tried a first-class seat, that was absolutely horrible and the worst train journey I ever had.
Bjørn Jørgensen

The_Traveler

• NG Member
    • lewlortonphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 01:23:20 »
I imagine that the station hadn't had any renovation since long before 1985.
The train cars certainly were old.
We were going from Yangon to Mawlamyine and rode in 'upper class' that might have been the equivalent to a lesser first class on a less prestigious route.

If people are interested I can post more pictures from that ride; certainly enlightening for me.
Lew Lorton
The_Traveler
a non-technical shooter

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 02:15:26 »
B&W.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 10:00:12 »
Lew, I would like to see more photos from the train ride.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
    • Rick Waldroup Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 10:31:56 »
Great shot, Lew.  Yes, post some more.  I always like reading your travel stories as much as I do viewing the photos.  Excellent stuff.