Author Topic: AF Nikkor 20mm f2.8 damaged front.  (Read 6600 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: AF Nikkor 20mm f2.8 damaged front.
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2018, 11:14:47 »
anodization doesnt really cost much  :o :o :o
you just have to contact the correct people  ::)

my friend made tattoo machines and he had his done by a bike parts maker. basically when the bike shop is going to anodize something they will just include his parts with theirs.

The nearest anodising company to me has a £45 minimum order, which from my description they don't think my pano head parts will cost nearly that much, I feel the pano head would be worth it but I have had a lot of expense recently and have to exercise frugality for a while.

If I do anything which needs galvanising there is a railing company nearby I know the owner and they are happy to send my bits away with theirs, I will ask around, this is an engineering town, the home of British nuclear submarine manufacture.  I would be surprised if nobody sends stuff away for anodising but the key is finding somebody small.  No chance of walking into the shipyard expecting anything except a boot up the backside!  ;D  ::)
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2018, 10:35:44 »
I have made the lens cap.

The bit of metal which I cut out originally for the hood, (and rejected because there was a drilled hole in the side) has come in for the cap.  It was just big enough and there was just enough thickness to make the cap.

Chucking such a delicate thing in the lathe was something of a challenge but I got there.

This is the lens front with the cap, which still need painting, the 16mm fisheye lens in the background.

A self portrait?  ;D

...and sharper!  Could have looked happier...  ::)  >:(

Am going to get a piece of black vinyl cut to match the 16mm lens cap with "Nikon" in the middle.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2018, 17:17:34 »
Have the Humbrol paint, but left the parts with my local sign shop who are making the vinyl lettering for the front.

While I was getting the paint I enquired if they had any flocking which I could use to coat the inside of the lens cap to help hold it on to the lens hood, in a similar fashion to the 16mm fisheye.  They had, but green, imitation grass for modelling.  I explained what I wanted it for and the lady disappeared for ages, returning eventually with some red coated paper, apparently it's intended to represent red carpet in dolls houses!  Anyway it's 7 thou (0.17mm) thick.  I will need to machine about 8 thousandths of an inch from inside the rim of the lens cap so it will grip the lens hood snugly.  I think I will also put some on the inside face of the cap  too, it will improve the appearance and make it softer on the edges of the lens cap.

A very nice shop... they had brass strips and thin sheet brass, will be back there soon!  ;D
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2018, 17:18:56 »
He he Very nice  :D
Erik Lund

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2018, 17:27:19 »
Sort of fresnel fisheye!  I did think of extracting the circle for an avatar... I just look too mean in that shot.  >:(
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2018, 21:43:04 »
Have painted it with an aerosol of black stone chip I happened to have.  Might not work, but if it does it should be robust, I used the Humbrol #33 for inside the hood.

The vinyl looks good on the front of the lens cap, I have used flocked paper for the inside, it's a bit tight to get on and off but it's fine once it's on.  Seems good, the paint needs a second coat.

Probably tomorrow I will final refit the front of the lens.

Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2018, 21:59:26 »
A very unique Nikkor ;)

I’m sure you will get orders for lens caps for Fish,,, people often loose their caps and on the AF it’s plastic so you have customers I’m sure  :D
Erik Lund

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2018, 22:38:08 »
Good point Erik, never thought of that.  ::)

Are the hoods on the AF the same as the hoods on the f2.8 MF?  The MF are ~61mm Ø.  I guess thats what the 61K means in front of "Made in Japan" - 61mm cap.

I might just make myself a spare for practice.  Keep the original in the draw.  I am not good with caps, I am always one or two missing, they usually turn up but not always.

I made a leather one for the 80-200 because the hood is screw on and I don't like keep taking it on and off. 
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2018, 00:10:57 »
Impetuous is my middle name!  Couldn't wait for the paint to harden, I have fitted the lens front and integral shade to the lens.  I have to say it looks quite handsome, though I say it, I shouldn't.

Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2018, 00:37:01 »
Here id an old thread with home made lescap for 16mm
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,4825.msg88899.html#msg88899

Old One is 64k ;)
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2018, 03:04:23 »
Amazing result...and the lens cap!  Thank you for all the report and congrats!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2018, 04:41:45 »
Great outcome - well done.

It really looks the part.
Hugh Gunn

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2018, 08:58:32 »
Robert, it looks quite handsome :)
Bruno Schröder

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2018, 00:02:08 »
I am impressed, look awesome.
Interesting to follow your projects, very skillfully made.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2018, 00:12:36 »
Thank you all, I just enjoy making stuff and fixing things so they work!

Finally got myself an avatar. ::)

11 years since it was taken photographing football (soccer).
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK