Author Topic: Replacing the rear plate of an E-series 50/1.8?  (Read 1000 times)

Marcus Rowland

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Forgotten Futures
Replacing the rear plate of an E-series 50/1.8?
« on: January 27, 2018, 01:18:33 »
I have a 50mm f1.8 e-series lens surplus to my needs that I listed on ebay, then realised that it's missing a rear cover at the back and cancelled the auction - it's basically a disk with a protruding ridge that I think fits onto three metal flanges. I've found a picture of another one that I used to have that was complete so that you can see what's missing: The incomplete one is the second picture.

I think that someone must have removed it to service the lens and forgotten to put it back together afterwards. If I'm remembering correctly it's made of plastic. I've only ever used these lenses on a D90 and I don't know if the missing part engages the camera mechanism at all on older bodies, but it looks like it might.

Is it possible to get a replacement? And if not, can the lens be used on older cameras? I've asked Nikon UK but I suspect I won't like the answer...

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Replacing the rear plate of an E-series 50/1.8?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 01:35:58 »
The rear cover protects the rear element, without it the rear lens is more vulnerable to being scratched or bumped if you put it down without a rear cap. However the lens is still perfectly useable without it. It also has a tab at 6 o'clock position signals the max aperture to certain cameras such as the FA, it is not used by any current model.

I don't quite understand the pictures you posted, as both have the rear lens cover in place. The top is from the later series-E version (chrome ring) and has solid rear protectors similar to those found on AI and AIS lenses. Early series-E lenses (black ring) use cheaper construction, the rear protectors and max aperture indexing post are simply prongs of sheet metal folded down from the rear plate. Simple but does the job.

Marcus Rowland

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Forgotten Futures
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 04:12:38 »
The rear cover protects the rear element, without it the rear lens is more vulnerable to being scratched or bumped if you put it down without a rear cap. However the lens is still perfectly useable without it. It also has a tab at 6 o'clock position signals the max aperture to certain cameras such as the FA, it is not used by any current model.

I don't quite understand the pictures you posted, as both have the rear lens cover in place. The top is from the later series-E version (chrome ring) and has solid rear protectors similar to those found on AI and AIS lenses. Early series-E lenses (black ring) use cheaper construction, the rear protectors and max aperture indexing post are simply prongs of sheet metal folded down from the rear plate. Simple but does the job.

Really? I've never seen one like this before, I thought that there was a missing bit that went over the prongs to give it the same look as the other one. Thanks so much, that's a great relief, means I can sell it without worrying about someone returning it because it's incomplete.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 15:47:52 »
Early series-E lenses (black ring) use cheaper construction, the rear protectors and max aperture indexing post are simply prongs of sheet metal folded down from the rear plate. Simple but does the job.

I had an early 75-150/3.5 Series-E. Those tabs on that model were aluminum and they bent very easily. I returned that lens. When the mid model with a rear protector like the AI/AIS with the black ring appeared I bought one for my mother. That's the 75-150/3.5 I own now.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Marcus Rowland

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Forgotten Futures
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 20:25:32 »
The prongs on this one seem to be fairly sturdy, but it's very odd-looking compared to the usual quality of Nikon products. Never mind, if it's the way it's meant to be there's no real problem, it's not like I'm going to be using it myself - though I think I might take it out for a walk on Monday, take some pictures to see how it compares to my AF 50mm and a Yongnuo 50mm I tried on my Canon last year.