Author Topic: Nikon Df software  (Read 4356 times)

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon Df software
« on: January 24, 2018, 17:27:37 »
It must be about five years ago that Nikon released the Df, and to my knowledge Nikon has never released a software update.  Am I correct, and are there any plans to do so?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Nikon Df software
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 19:44:02 »
You probably mean firmware ....

Don't think they have provided an upgrade, but as my Df is packed down for the upcoming move out of Oslo, cannot check.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 19:47:07 »
According to the Nikon website it's Version 1.01 from 2014-01-21
Chris Dees

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 19:47:19 »
Ver.1.01, is the newest according to Nikon.dk

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 17:15:14 »
Sorry about that incorrect terminology.  I am a dinosaur, unabashedly so.  Guess FIRMware is very correct for Nikon Df updates; it is seemingly set in cement. I was hoping to hear that Nikon has released/will release an update which includes focus peaking, optional removal of AF area brackets and focus points, all in one fell swoop.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 21:03:37 »
Considering that the firmware of Df should be simpler than the other models due to the total omission of video-related functions and that Nikon apparently is very reluctant to offer new functions through the firmware update, there would be no wonder if there has been only one firmware update since its release.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 17:40:16 »
Arguably, since it is simpler, it should be simpler to update it, Akira.  What did the firmware released jan.21 '14 do that the first edition (presumably, edition 1.00) didn't do?  Other Nikons received additions to picture controls after the Df appeared, but Nikon did not update the firmware back then. Not being critical, nor challenging  Nikon, just wondering why not.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 00:03:27 »
Rich, the firmware 1.01 for Df was nothing but the minor bug fixes which was obviously applied to the already existing functions.  If I remember correctly, even the new Picture Control ("Flat") has never been added to any previous models through the firmware update.  In NX-D, the new Picture Control can be applied to the images from any previous cameras, though.  I could apply "Flat" picture control to an image I had shot with the even older D7000 without problem.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 01:42:09 »
I see.  I think.  What is becoming more clear is the realization that Nikon must see the Df as a finished venture, that what we have is all we will get- which is more than good enough, and more than I will ever use, in all honesty. I don't "need" peak focusing, and I have turned off focus point illumination, and can continue to ignore A/F brackets. Thank you for your comments.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 02:45:18 »
Arguably, since it is simpler, it should be simpler to update it, Akira.  What did the firmware released jan.21 '14 do that the first edition (presumably, edition 1.00) didn't do?  Other Nikons received additions to picture controls after the Df appeared, but Nikon did not update the firmware back then. Not being critical, nor challenging  Nikon, just wondering why not.

Kenneth,

Just my guess - coming from a long time working in tech industry - is that because the Df was a low volume camera, Nikon did not want to spend extra money developing, testing, releasing and supporting an update unless there was something wrong with the firmware.

Certainly the features you mention are nice to have, but investment in development on newer high volume cameras will go a lot further in serving their customers and selling more cameras.

chambeshi

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 12:44:37 »
I see.  I think.  What is becoming more clear is the realization that Nikon must see the Df as a finished venture, that what we have is all we will get- which is more than good enough, and more than I will ever use, in all honesty. I don't "need" peak focusing, and I have turned off focus point illumination, and can continue to ignore A/F brackets. Thank you for your comments.
I have come to find the lack of a live histogram in liveview a big deficiency in the Df.  I use both a lot on the D500 and D850. And it is available in many other cameras. Focus-peaking would be most welcome upgrade that is presumably possible without new hardware. What passes for menu design in the liveview controls of Nikon DSLRs leaves much to be desired.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 17:49:01 »
Live view deficiencies bother me not one bit, as I have only used it once, when I used my 35mm PC lens for the first and only time. Chambeshi, I understand what you are saying, even though I would be a failure in business!  Thanks guys for your comments/explanations.

oldfauser

• NG Member
  • From SE Wisconsin
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 18:16:22 »
update 1.02 released today!

Art

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 18:23:58 »
Thank you.
Was not expecting anything for the Df, so nice that they actually update the software.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 19:55:24 »
Thanks.  C 1.02 is running now :)

The changes according to the Nikon site:  http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/260.html

"    • Fixed an issue that resulted in no preview being displayed in the monitor and no modeling flash being emitted when the camera Fn, Pv, or AE-L/AF-L button was pressed with Preview selected as the Press option for Custom Setting f4 (Assign Fn button), f5 (Assign preview button), or f6 (Assign AE-L/AF-L button) in the CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU when an SB-800 flash unit was used.
    • Fixed as issue that resulted in shutter speed being restricted to 1/200 s or slower if a flash unit that did not support auto FP high-speed sync was used with 1/250 s (Auto FP) selected for Custom Setting e1 (Flash sync speed) in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU.
    • Fixed an issue that resulted in ViewNX 2 or Capture NX 2 displaying Auto (ISO x) (where “x” is an ISO sensitivity value) in the Metadata > ISO Sensitivity field for pictures taken with Off selected for Auto ISO sensitivity control in the SHOOTING MENU."