Author Topic: Upside down *nude*  (Read 3685 times)

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Upside down *nude*
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 12:53:57 »
That is very nice. My comment is that I think the style is insufficiently defined.  It could be read as a Helmut Newton-style image, with a narrative - why this woman is naked and upside down on a couch - but in that case the narrative is not clear enough because the only clue is the closed door behind her.  If there is not meant to be a narrative, and this is purely an Edward Weston-style study in form, then I think the door should not be in the picture at all.   

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 15:26:24 »
That is very nice. My comment is that I think the style is insufficiently defined.  It could be read as a Helmut Newton-style image, with a narrative - why this woman is naked and upside down on a couch - but in that case the narrative is not clear enough because the only clue is the closed door behind her.  If there is not meant to be a narrative, and this is purely an Edward Weston-style study in form, then I think the door should not be in the picture at all.   
Les, thank you for the comment, this is definitively about the light and shadows in her body, interestingly she did comment about the door in the background

If there was no door, then perhaps a black background would be the best choice, we could have moved to a dark background, and I would have to use artificial light instead of the window

Edit: I did some quick edits the gray background with the wall texture looks better than a black background
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 17:51:25 »
I find the centered version much more appealing. The inverted cross composition works for me. Editing the background wall was a good idea. I'd suggest - sorry for nit-picking - that you also "blacken" the door; some sort of hinge can be seen in the center right. DoF might be a bit too low (low resolution makes it difficult to judge) as her feed "stand out" against the door, but seem to be blurred at the same time.
Airy Magnien

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 05:10:44 »
Sweet.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 17:55:09 »
I find the centered version much more appealing. The inverted cross composition works for me. Editing the background wall was a good idea. I'd suggest - sorry for nit-picking - that you also "blacken" the door; some sort of hinge can be seen in the center right. DoF might be a bit too low (low resolution makes it difficult to judge) as her feed "stand out" against the door, but seem to be blurred at the same time.
Airy, thanks for your comment and nit-pick :), yes there is a hinge visible, and yes the DOF is not deep enough, but that in my opinion is an advantage I was not looking for precise detail but the overall light and shadows on her

Thank you Ron
Armando Morales

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 19:21:00 »
As stated I feel the play with lines is what makes this work. Puts enfasis in the living femenine curves. It happens also in the contrast of the darker surroundings that make the skin glow. Floating beauty. Just because I like it I wiil get picky too :) For me the best composition will be asymmetrical but straight with no corner on the sofa ( as the second image), darker door may work as Airy point out to get more separation fron the door. A bit more contrast?
    There you go. The image put the brain to work as if it was mine.

Thanks Armando

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 05:12:28 »
Paco, thank you so much for your analysis and suggestions
Armando Morales

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator