Author Topic: D750 coming from Df  (Read 5978 times)

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Re: D750 coming from Df
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 19:14:51 »
I hardly ever think about the badly implemented front dial, which I rarely need to use anyway given the lens line I set aside for the Df.

That's a key point - if you're using chipped lenses then you can ignore the front dial. That definitely makes the Df easier and more pleasant to use. 

In my case I have quite a few unchipped F-mount lenses, which (with a few exceptions) I haven't really haven't been using since I moved to digital.  Going forward I'm going to need to figure out if I want to chip some of these lenses, but that means first figuring out which ones I particularly like on the Df.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 19:30:30 »
With Ai lenses you only have aperture priority, so no dials needs to be used, only the aperture ring on the lens.
With non-Ai lens the back dial is used.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2018, 20:27:53 »
With Ai lenses you only have aperture priority, so no dials needs to be used, only the aperture ring on the lens.

I must be doing something wrong then.  I'll look into it.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 22:06:42 »

I had been using a modern non-AI lens extensively the past couple of weeks and that's why I was confused.  This lens doesn't have the AI ridge but also doesn't need the metering coupling lever to be flipped up.  With an AI lens the aperture can be controlled from the lens, and that resolves most of my concern on this issue.  Thanks for the correction.

For a non-AI lens, after adjusting the lens aperture then the front dial ("sub-command dial") is used to adjust the camera.  This is on page 167 of the manual.  The rear dial ("main command dial") normally has no effect on aperture. However, menu item f7 allows for the two dials to have their functions switched.  I just noticed there's also a setting available under that item where the main command dial controls aperture only in exposure mode A.  This seems like it will work really well for avoiding the front dial.