Author Topic: Zanzibar  (Read 2398 times)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Zanzibar
« on: February 22, 2018, 05:40:00 »
Any one have any experience in Zanzibar?  Background:  At the are of 8 I made my own list of 100 places I wanted to go.  I was an avid reader of NatGeo so most places came from that reading.  I have made it to most of the places.  As it turns out my wife had always wanted to go to Zanzibar and we can fly directly from Goa to Muscat (with a couple of days layover) and then direct flight to Zanzibar.  I've Googled things like best season, places to see and Street photography.   I shoot mostly people and culture and my wife shoots Landscape and people.   One of the questions is how long do I need in Zanzibar and surrounding islands and are there absolute "must see" things.  I would plan on basing in Stone Town and day tripping (overnights) to other places.   What are peoples reaction to being photographed ?   I've already received good info on Muscat but all info is most welcome.   

I am not sure if my teenaged son will go or not.  We are very independent travellers and normally stay away from resorts and tourist "Hot Spots".

Any personal experiences are very welcome.
Cheers,
Tom
Edit: while I was working in Kenya I made a two day trip to Dar but had a full schedule of meetings/duties so I would like to go back if it is relatively easy from Zanzibar (and cheap  ;) ).
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Zanzibar
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 09:15:21 »
My wife and I spent a week in Zanzibar late last year. It is delightful - a mix of East African, Arab, Indian (mainly Parsi) and Anglo tradition. 

Stone Town is intensely photogenic, and quite compact - you could see everything in two leisurely days.  Outside Stone Town I think it depends how many tropical coasts you have seen.  People who have never tasted a fresh green coconut or seen pepper vines growing find it more interesting than those who have.  The same is true of places like the Dharajani market.  Dhow sailing trips are good if you are interested in the technology of sailing, but expensive for what is offered.

The people are used to tourists and except for Muslim women do not mind being photographed.     

Dar is a twenty minute flight away, and there is also a ferry that takes a couple of hours.  There are also direct flights from Zanzibar to Arusha, the starting point for trips to Ngorongoro crater.  While my wife was working I did a three day trip to Ngorongoro and Lake Manyara - highly recommended.

There are some Stone Town and Ngorongoro pictures on my Flickr stream https://www.flickr.com/photos/les_olson/with/37320573702/

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 12:27:09 »
Les, many thanks.   I've lived on tropical islands , did the Dhows in Lamu, Kenya for free and have my own Pepper vines.  I, not my wife, have also lived in Mombasa which look similar from your images,   We do not hang out at the beach in Goa  ;) .  When we go to the beach now it is normally to shoot the fishermen and women early morning/early evening or an Event.

Did you organize your trip to Ngorongoro and Lake Manyara  ahead or in Zanzibar?  I assume, from reading, that the visa we pay for upon arrival in Zanzibar is good for the side trip.   I've flown over the Serengeti  in a Kenya Air Force Caribou (DCH-4)  (very low altitude and noisy) .   I am not taking long lenses.

In the early '80s I took contract to work, in the countryside of Tanzania, from the Ministry of Health (supported by the Ministry of Tourism) but at the last moment funding was withdrawn (bummer).
Things sort of got muddy after your post.  My wife's elderly mother is not well so she may need to head for the UK.
Nice images but couldn't find the Exif on the photos.
Cheers,
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 13:40:18 »
I arranged the Ngorongoro trip in advance.  I paid extra to be the only person in the vehicle (apart from the driver/guide) which gave me 360 degree photography. In Ngoronogoro the animals are quite close - often there is literally nowhere for them to go - and I found a 70-300 DX AF-P with the D500 quite good there; it was too short in Lake Manyara but I had to travel light.  The Zanzibar ones and the Ngorongoro panorama were with the 16-85 DX.

The Tanzania visa covers the whole country - although you have to go through passport control when you enter Zanzibar from the mainland.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 14:06:39 »
Thanks again Les,  not getting excited until we hear more from UK.  We would not go until the end of May in any case.  It is always a last minute decision on Gear but for sure my wife will take her EM1 and lenses.  If my son goes he will take his EM1 but maybe his D7100 / afs 80-400.  I might take Sony or Nikon, in either case a 70-200 would be the long.  Hand carry , even with two or three shooters is always the problem.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Martin Kellermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 19:39:56 »
I spent some delightful days in Zanzibar a year or three ago. We spent time in an upmarket hotel in the North half the time and the other half in Stone Town. Stone Town is very photogenic throughout the day, but spending the late afternoon in the Africa Hotel overlooking the ocean with a nice drink is special. Not all people tolerate being photographed. I had one or two altercations in the market that were distinctly unpleasant. Hence, I would caution taking photos in the markets in Stone Town. The focus light on the Nikon that lights up when the place is a bit dark is a dead give away - the people got very, very upset. The tour for swimming with the dolphins I found inspiring also for photography. My wife and I took a sunset dhow trip on our wedding anniversary, which was very special. There are quite a few on offer - you have to negotiate a bit. Some are "dry", others will offer you a drink or two. Attached an image I took from the Africa Hotel  - posted some time ago as well.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 01:52:12 »
Martin, very nice and I can see where that would be very soothing after a day of walkabout.   Interesting about the market and photographing people.  In rural Turkey I found that older women did not want to be photographed by me.  They did not mind my wife or young son taking the photo.   In the market here they are very used to Tourists and sort of accept cameras but I still get people that do not want to be photographed.   I often use the Pen F, 17 f1.8 in crowded spaces.

My wife and son are both divers so swimming with the Dolphins is something they enjoy and always carry the AW120.
Many thanks,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 16:06:08 »
I spend one and a half days in Zanzibar - and had a guide walk me around. There are plenty "opportunistic" guides that offer services for free - it aint free. But it was invaluable to me as they could explain everything to me. Well worth the not-so-free guide.

Take a flash - some of the alleys can be dark-ish - due to shadows.

I visited Ngorongoro, Tarangiri and Manyara - (3 days)  booked ahead of time with a company - opted for the cheapest deal which was a tent and mattress. One vehicle, me, cook and one guide. one of them was also the "cook" and I got fed 3 times a day with packed lunches and dinner (very basic) at night. I wasnt interested in fancy accommodation - I wanted to shoot. This was 8 years ago. I found a company online. Which one - not a clue now :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 04:37:55 »
Elsa. wondered where you had gone  :) figured you had been.   Janette's brother is headed for UK tomorrow so we shall see.   I am not as interested in animal images as the experience  of Ngorongoro.  Cheap works for me  ;D .   Looks as if I have lost a battle (maybe War) with US Taxman  >:( .  We only spent 3 nights in Jaisalmer and, at the time we thought that was plenty, but now wish we had made it for longer.  I rarely use guides but in Varanasi I got one of the waiters in the guesthouse to go out with me my first morning (but I was travelling solo and speak little Hindi ) .  I may think of Sri Lanka as a much cheaper alternative.
Looks like you did get some rain but too much at one time.
All the best,
Tom
edit: thanks for the heads up on Flash.  I rarely take one these days and really have not 'mastered' ... lol... Sony Flashes.  Olympus and Nikon are OK.
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 09:38:06 »
Elsa. wondered where you had gone  :) figured you had been.   Janette's brother is headed for UK tomorrow so we shall see.   I am not as interested in animal images as the experience  of Ngorongoro.  Cheap works for me  ;D .   Looks as if I have lost a battle (maybe War) with US Taxman  >:( .  We only spent 3 nights in Jaisalmer and, at the time we thought that was plenty, but now wish we had made it for longer.  I rarely use guides but in Varanasi I got one of the waiters in the guesthouse to go out with me my first morning (but I was travelling solo and speak little Hindi ) .  I may think of Sri Lanka as a much cheaper alternative.
Looks like you did get some rain but too much at one time.
All the best,
Tom
edit: thanks for the heads up on Flash.  I rarely take one these days and really have not 'mastered' ... lol... Sony Flashes.  Olympus and Nikon are OK.

Tom - flash is my pet hate. But it has it's uses for sure.
places to visit - the choices are unlimited and try as we may - we will never get to them all. Pick one - and go :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za