Author Topic: Nikkor-Q.C 13.5cm f/3.5 RF repair article (partial)  (Read 1834 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Nikkor-Q.C 13.5cm f/3.5 RF repair article (partial)
« on: January 21, 2018, 15:16:01 »
http://richardhaw.com/2018/01/21/repair-nikkor-q-c-13-5cm-f3-5-rf/

making more RF-related articles lately. this is another one for your entertainment!  :o :o :o

I will make another one for my Made in Occupied Japan version. I got it for a very low price because nobody cared to check ::)

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Nikkor-Q.C 13.5cm f/3.5 RF repair article (partial)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 20:37:36 »
Nice to see these old lenses being used. Apparently the early rangefinder lenses were very heavy due to the use of brass. Later on more aluminium was used the the lenses became lighter, so I would expect to see a lot of changes internally between early and late examples.

The production of this lens is very strange. Serial numbers start at 50060101, I believe 5006 means June 1950, although the lens did not hit the market until early 1951. They are marked "MADE IN OCCUPIED JAPAN" (MIOJ), and "Nippon Kogaku Tokyo" on the front ring. After a short production run the next batch has different serial numbers starting 253xxx. Somewhere around 256xxx MIOJ is no longer marked on the barrel and the front ring is engraved "Nippon Kokagu Japan". Somewhere around 257xxx the min aperture changes from f16 to f32. Serial numbers for the chrome lens continue up to at least 257430.

Then we have another chrome series with serial numbers from at least 253201 - 265556.  These lenses look the same but can be distinguished by name-ring inside the filter which is narrower, has smaller, neater lettering and two holes 180° apart so they can be unscrewed using a spanner wrench. Construction is also a little lighter. Notice the serial numbers completely overlap the earlier series, in fact starting a little earlier and finishing later. Very early ones are never marked Tokyo like the older series with similar serial numbers. I have never found duplicates of the early and late types, the new serial numbers in fact are randomly distributed through the earlier series, so it appears the original series had many gaps which were faithfully recorded, and later filled with the later series! Why would they do this? I've never seen anything like it on any other lens. :o :o

By the time the black versions appear, the serial numbers settle down into a more logical sequence :)

The optics of the rangefinder lens were transferred directly to the F-mount version and remained in production until mid 1969 when the newer Nikkor-Q 135/3.5 was released.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 03:17:26 »
Hello, Roland!
Do you want pictures for the RF lenses? I can help you source some from my own collection and from other people,too  :o :o :o

Nikon SN never made any sense to me. I have an MIOJ and ill see what number that thing is.

that's what i thought about the optics. I recall reading in 1001 nights that the RF version directly transitioned into the F mount version without any modifications (apart from shaping the walls differently for fit) but I saw drawings and the design looks to be a bit different. I will read the 101 nights article again ::)

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 03:32:49 »
Note there are two Nikkor-Q 135/3.5 optical designs. The first from RF and F-mount up to 1969. The F-mount version has the finely knurled aperture ring and 6 aperture blades (apart from very early models with 9 blades). The newer version from 1969 has the scalloped aperture ring and 7 aperture blades, overall the lens is a little heavier and longer. The optical design is similar but clearly different when you see the pictures. The new optics went into the C and K versions before being modernised again with the more compact AI version.

It is also possible that Nikon made changes to the original design during its long production from the early 1950s to 1969; with several other lens models the optics were modified - better glass materials, adjustments to lens curvature and spacing, better coatings - to improve performance

As for pictures (or lack of) on my site, it is partly laziness and partly lack of time. I should download some pictures from nice ebay listings :)