Author Topic: Nik Collection to be revived in 2018!  (Read 5728 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nik Collection to be revived in 2018!
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 11:25:22 »
John, thank you for the link and the examples.  I bookmarked the link for the reference.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nik Collection to be revived in 2018!
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 11:36:06 »
I'll suggest that when shooting and you are planning a B&W photograph set the PC in your camera to monochrome with a yellow filter. This in time will change one's mindset. Instead of seeing color as color you'll be thinking about how the colors will translate into shades of gray.

When you create your image if it's an NEF you can make full use of the RGB channels to get any filter effect you like, deep red, deep green, deep blue and any combination. You can even change your mind and develop the NEF into a color image. I'm sure there is an equivalent to the Picture Control in any major brand of camera that shoots RAW.

Anyway give it a shot. Shoot RAW and monochrome and see if it works the same magic of loading a 35mm camera with Tri-X or Kodachrome.

Dave Hartman

Dave, thank you.  I didn't realize that the contrast filter effect can be selected in the B&W picture style.  I've moved from Nikon to Panasonic, but the Panasonic cameras offers the same function.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira