Author Topic: Card Readers and the dreaded Bent Pin Syndrome  (Read 2789 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Card Readers and the dreaded Bent Pin Syndrome
« on: December 25, 2017, 16:22:11 »
I am a new-comer to Digital, having just gotten a couple of D3 bodies in the last month, and already I've got a card reader with bent pins that won't accept a card, despite my best efforts to straighten out the little buggers.
Research has shown that this appears to be a problem known throughout the Universe, and that many photographers go through card readers like disposable diapers.
I read about a card reader called Pixelflash USB 3.0 that apparently does not suffer from the Bent Pin Syndrome, and I am wondering if anyone here has experience with this product, or alternately any advice on how this problem may be either avoided or mitigated using any other reader.
Please and thanks.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Card Readers and the dreaded Bent Pin Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 21:14:29 »
I lost use of $150 SanDisk Extreme 4 CF card reader due to a bent pin. Never got over that!  :(
Carl

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 06:59:00 »
Robert - WHAT???????  Are you OK mate?  I am very worried for you.  Not one D3 but two - now that is serious!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(Or have you now simply exhausted that great big deep freeze that you filled to the brim with fillum all those years ago (LOL)?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Actually I have a D200 that has a bent pin that is so mangled that it would be better to just replace the card reader.  Anyone want to get rid of a dead D200 with a good reader?

The pins really do seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to straightening them.  Surprisingly springy. 

Good luck with yours. 

If it is an external reader, as you seem to be saying, then it may be a better option to get a replacement.  I use a Sandisk USB3 version that has proven to be OK so far.  Be very careful when inserting the card and back off if any untoward insertion resistance is encountered.

I am a new-comer to Digital, having just gotten a couple of D3 bodies in the last month, and already I've got a card reader with bent pins that won't accept a card, despite my best efforts to straighten out the little buggers....................................................................

Robert
Hugh Gunn

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 07:25:48 »
All of my card readers have been Lexar. I had a close call once. I accidentally inserted an SD card just far enough to touch the CF card slots pins. One pin was slightly bent. I made two gentle attempts to straiten it with long tweezers. I put batteries in my flashlight to get a better look. I could not tell which pin had been bent. It was so slight a bend after a few minutes of consideration I decided to try using the card read. I've had no problems since.

When I put a CF card in a reader or a camera slip in it gently until sense the pins have lined up. The I gentle press it in fully. I think a cheap reader or perhaps some foreign particle in one of the holes in the CF card causes the most problems. Maybe the card reader of CF card gets worn. If both the card and the reader are good ones bent pins shouldn't happen. Then again stuff happens.

Dave Hartman Who notes that the devil now lives in silicon not wood.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 07:30:08 »
happened to me once on a D700  :o :o :o

I just bent it back to shape ::)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 07:41:51 »
Congratulations on the acquirement of your D3's.  It is a real professional camera. My D800's feel flimsy in comparison.
I have had 6 different Nikon Bodies since 2006(the dawn of digital for me), only Sandisk CF cards, and several CF card readers from Sandisk and Lexar, and have never had a bent pin in a body or reader.  Bent pins are rare.
If a pin is bent in a reader I would discard the reader immediately.  Camera:  to the service facility.
Good readers are fairly cheap. I am currently using this reader for several years: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1141181-REG/lexar_lrw400crbna_professional_usb_3_0_dual.html
Please insert your CF cards slowly...if there is any resistance...STOP...back it out...check the card orientation... and maybe try again.  Unless the camera slot is unusually worn(unlikely) or the card is damaged/defective(more likely), you should never have a bent pin issue.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 09:35:12 »
Congratulations with the Nikon 3D's. ! There is a lot to learn now, I guess. ;)

About those card readers, yes, the cheap ones are an instant failure. I always get confused how to insert the CF into the reader.    Agree with Keith on the advice on a 'good' card reader.

My fastest approach with a camera with CF cards  is using the USB cable to connect to the computer. And leave the card in the camera.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 09:40:32 »
Keith writes: If a pin is bent in a reader I would discard the reader immediately.  Camera:  to the service facility.

absolutely. I had bent pins in my D70ies. None in my D3, D7000, D600, D500, D850. Nikon Service charges small change for replacement. Card readers are cheap low tech, so change when diapers full.

The best diapers are these
Lexar Professional Workflow Card Readers
not cheap at all but last for years, I paid 65€ each.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 10:03:17 »
PS. The D3 is a very good step in the right direction. She outreselves most film and does so up to 12.800 ISO if you are very careful with the exposure (the D500 offers nearly one stop more on DX, 20.000 ISO is still very good).

The D3 features great ergonomics and is quite forgiving with lenses (the gripped D500 is better with ergonomics).

The bad thing is: she is a cracker. Never shoot her in silent environments! TACK TACK TACK
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 23:59:48 »
Thank you all for the replies.
I will be getting a new, better-quality Card Reader tomorrow when I venture out into the world of Post-Christmas shopping.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.