Author Topic: [Forum Statistics] More readers, less writers  (Read 2031 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
[Forum Statistics] More readers, less writers
« on: December 23, 2017, 10:55:55 »
Yearly Summary    New Topics    New Posts    New Members    Most Online    Page views
+ 2017                   1707            29906            373                    693                    6986234
+ 2016                   2677            52815            538                    360                    5215827
+ 2015                   2356            28938            597                    182                    1259792
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: [Forum Statistics] More readers, less writers
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 11:06:43 »
The statistics don't necessarily represent the reality.

For example, the popularity of [Themes] threads could be one of the bigger reason for the reduction of the numbers of new topics.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 11:20:40 »
Looking at different social fora across the web shows signs of saturation and consequently an attitude of indifference.
'Grab a bite and move on' , so to speak.

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 11:46:16 »
Frank, I take it in the stats above "New Posts" includes replies added to existing threads?

Some other analysis that might be interesting

- How these numbers tie in with releases of significant new bodies & lenses by Nikon
   We often get a rush of activity and new people when this happens
- The number of active users (e.g. Posted at least "X" items during the year)

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 11:47:52 »
Statistics can be misleading but the increase in page views may reflect the renewed reputation of NikonGear since the turmoil.  Search engines presumably play a part?

I have noticed both here and elsewhere that certain topics receive an unexpectedly high hit rate considering the content.  Certain key words in the thread title can generate peaks of hits at times.  These do not necessarily translate into new members or contributors.

The higher level of new members in 2016 is likely previous membership 'rejoining' NikonGear now they have caught up, I expect new members joining may level out.  The more recently joined membership, perhaps less experienced, may not have much to say, the experienced, core membership will likely have more to say.  Also there is now a solid resource of good quality information in the pages of data held here.  That is a priceless resource which probably being being tapped into by visitors and members.  That background data will attract visitors and will continue to grow, perhaps now more gradually.

There is also the possibility that people are gradually becoming more experienced in the new digital technology and feel the need to ask questions less often, they may also be at a personal saturation point, having learnt what they feel they want to know by asking questions, just browse the forum out of interest particularly where nice photographs can be found.

Do we have statistics going back over the original NG years?  THAT would be very interesting, perhaps they were not made available...

Are there more detailed statistics broken down by sections of the forum?  I haven't explored that avenue here.

Do other forums show a similar trend?
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 12:02:39 »
I can agree with Robert, that the “old” threads are valuable, so one needs not to make new one the get answers.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 13:00:48 »
Statistics can be illuminating or misleading.

The metric we admins use is the average monthly number of unique visitors, which has tripled the last two years. Concomitantly, the number of hits have increased significantly. The third metric of value is the daily average number of visits per visitor which is fairly constant, around 2.5.

The most interesting and important metric of all is the fraction of visitors spending time (>5 minutes) on the site, which is nearly 50%.  Around 10% of the visitors spent more than an hour consecutive reading (and presumably, once in a while, posting) the site.

Economically Nikongear manages to keep head over the water as it were, so we can afford the "luxury" of our own virtual server and pay the hosting bills. We always hope more members will subscribe and extend our warmest thanks to those who do.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 14:54:44 »
The statistics don't necessarily represent the reality.

For example, the popularity of [Themes] threads could be one of the bigger reason for the reduction of the numbers of new topics.

30.000 posts in 2017 vs. 50.000+ in 2016
7 Million page impressions vs 5 Million

The case is clear.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 20:28:39 »
30.000 posts in 2017 vs. 50.000+ in 2016
7 Million page impressions vs 5 Million

The case is clear.

Frank, have you decreased your posts in 2017 by 20.000?  :D

NikonGear was never created to make money or to create huge traffic.
We started it for like-minded people to hang out and to focus on quality rather than on quantity.
Wouldn't everyone rather read one good post per day than to search for it among thousands of not so good ones...
Statistics don't show emotions and all the good times we had together during our get-togethers.
May we meet again Frank in 2018, have a few glasses of wine together and have fun in the process.
It will mean more to me than any numbers...

Happy holidays, Jakov
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 22:37:12 »
Frank, have you decreased your posts in 2017 by 20.000?  :D

NikonGear was never created to make money or to create huge traffic.
We started it for like-minded people to hang out and to focus on quality rather than on quantity.
Wouldn't everyone rather read one good post per day than to search for it among thousands of not so good ones...
Statistics don't show emotions and all the good times we had together during our get-togethers.
May we meet again Frank in 2018, have a few glasses of wine together and have fun in the process.
It will mean more to me than any numbers...
Happy holidays, Jakov

Sure, meetup at Paco is a given. I will be there!!! Let's make it big!