Author Topic: Editing EXIF - help, please  (Read 1134 times)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Editing EXIF - help, please
« on: December 15, 2017, 15:06:58 »
I am finding that some software programs (Photo Mechanic, Apple Photos) show the Capture Time of a jpeg converted from a raw as the date of conversion, not the time the shutter was fired.  Photoshop CC 2018 shows the correct Capture Time.

The problem seems to be related to an exif field (as shown by Exiftool) called Metadata Date, which shows the date and time the jpeg was created.  There is another field called Date/Time Original, which shows the correct time for the original capture.

I have raised the issue with Photo Mechanic, but they have not come back with a solution as yet.  I have not seen anyone else having this problem.

I can correct the date of the jpeg using the tools in Photo Mechanic, but this is a tedious process when I have a lot of jpegs to correct.

What I would like to do is to run a program which changes the information in Metadata Date to the information shown in Date/Time Original, and to do this on a batch basis.

My Exiftool skills are limited to extracting and viewing metadata.  If anyone is able to advise me on a command which I can run to achieve the objective, I would be very grateful, as this would save me a lot of time.

I use an iMac 5K running MacOS 10.13.2
Anthony Macaulay

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
Re: Editing EXIF - help, please
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 18:18:25 »
I have problems with the EXIF information of some of my old (chipped) Nikon lenses.
To change this I use a plugin called Lenstagger (it works in combination with ExifTools) in LR.
It can be used in a batch.
Chris Dees

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: Editing EXIF - help, please
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 00:21:09 »
Thanks, Chris, I will have a look at this.
Anthony Macaulay