Author Topic: Life must go, but Im really stuck of inspiration  (Read 1921 times)

Arild

• n
  • NG Member
Life must go, but Im really stuck of inspiration
« on: December 15, 2017, 08:48:08 »
After a serious injury this fall, and then hospitalization for almost 3 mnths, sept-nov, me and my Nikon D750 is stuck. No isnpiration. Only dull landscapes as the the photo attached. As you see, thats a Pana LX-100 photo. Bought that one last month to try to get back my artistic sense. Beiing a fantastic camera as is, it doesent really work for me, as it is too light. My "reatardness" dystonia has resulted in shaking hands...

I am no photographer, I am -- nobody, no job, just sitting home nursing my "retarded body"... '

What giives my life sense of meaning, my way of living, is walking about in the mountains in summertime, taking snapshots or prhapse better of that -- see the second photo. Thats my kind of photography
I do often put away my camera gear in the fall, leaving it until Easter, picture three. The skier, thats also my kind of photography.

Question is. Today is minus 10 celsius and somewhat windy - a tad cold outside. Its snow, sun is ... well ten minutes at the most

So - nov -- until sun shines aboves us again in late Januray, any inspirational ideeas ?
Pref. them them golden oppurtinities outside even a windy day, at minus 15 Celsius?

As lenses go, I have them all...
Today, I put on the 18-35 FX, suddenly my D750 got much easier to grasp than with 24-120. I even tried my 14 mm Sanya today, thhat was a tad big. With my old 24 D or 35D from 90ies my d750 almost got as small as my Lx-100. My 21 mm G I really cant manage, as not is for my fav 60 and fav 105 macro leenses, usually 105 is with me all the time in summertime. Three lenses I use in summer, 24-12o on, 105 macro and 70-300 in the backpack. Then of course, what shall I use my Sigma 200-600 C for, a mystery :-) Or my 2006 ver of 80-200 2.8 D, have no idea...

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
Re: Life must go, but Im really stuck of inspiration
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 09:56:00 »
It's so common not to see attractions around where we live.
As we don't have snow here in this part of Brazil, I really wish to be where you took these pictures to try some B&W.
I think snow landscapes are perfect for B&W.
And maybe together with my 8-15mm fisheye zoom, a recent addiction.
Glad you recover from the injury.
Cheers.
 ;)
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 14:41:18 »
Three possible solutions for photographer's block are:

go somewhere completely different with subjects which will excite;
try a new type of activity within photography;
cut yourself off from photography, including websites such as this, for a while.

I suspect that the third of these is the most effective.
Anthony Macaulay

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 15:40:22 »
Sometimes there is too much choice. Try picking one lens and one camera and see what you can do.

Maybe use a tripod and slow your photography down with long exposures or night photographs.

Go to a library and read.

It is a big field, but try and find a small corner to investigate.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 21:08:04 »
A perceived loss of inspiration to do photography, writer's block, etc. etc. are extremely common and the "attacks" tend to become more frequent or lasting longer,  as time goes.

I think this problem sector is intricately linked to any expression of creativity. It is a signal that a break is required.

Do something else for a while. Concentrate on simplifying the approach to photography (one camera - one lens approach), travel to desirable exotic locations (guaranteed to lower the amount of cash at one's disposal, sometimes it also helps breaking out of the stuck spot you find yourself in). Or take up reading photography-related stuff, or any kind of literature that appeals to you. Or listen to music. Or , ....., the list is unlimited.

An old favourite amongst nature photographers that often helps the less severe cases, is the "tree stump" principle. Literally, place yourself on a tree stump somewhere and try to think of absolutely nothing. After a while  (might run to days, so be patient) one inevitable starts to perceive the ambience of nature, sounds, sensations, colours, shapes and patterns. Next step is "seeing" in visual terms, and then the step to start shooting anew is short.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 21:39:39 »
Arild, first of all wishing you lots of patience on the way to recovery.
I really appreciate the words of Bjørn. Most likely all of us fall into this empty feeling once in a while.
In our fast paced world we're absolutely stuffed with information and develop all sorts of filters to cope with it.
Filters which also prevent us form seeing, hearing, smelling our beautiful nature.
Daniel Diggelmann

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 23:55:18 »
A different approach:

Think-up a story which you would like to tell; write the text; then go out and take a whole series of different photographs and use them to illustrate your story.

I find it far more interesting to read such a piece, and to see the photographs in a cohesive context ,than I do looking at yet another solo image of a sunset, landscape or BIF!

Arild:

You already have the first images for such a project here so string them together with lots of detailed shots of pine-needles, snow-crystals and even boots, shoelaces, cold fingers and red noses!

Arild

• n
  • NG Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 00:56:58 »
I do think a log and a coffin and the Monovid will do.

You nice and most welcome words confirms such a path until spring breaks.

The coffin or rather an antique chest to stuff all my photo gear in, deposit in my bank

My Monovid to see the world in 2D any more dimensions only cloudens my spirit and destroyed soul.

And the log As I have been doing for the better part of my 61 troubled years in loneliness.

Yupp, just that, deep in the woods, and bring a nice cup of tea. Just sit there, looking at the snowfall, at squirrels, at
all the people just rushing by with only one thought getting home for supper and long evening by the telly.

Just alone, when everybody is returned home Still sitting there in peace....

Oh man I have done that for years. Thats whats I lost when I bought that fullframe dslr last year.

Back to the roots then!

Arild

• n
  • NG Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 16:46:02 »
You dont take a photograph - you make it.
(quote A.A.)

Hmm. Now I see. I am at entirely wrong place. I have never made a photo, I just shoot as it appears upon my gaze.

Sigh!