Author Topic: 24mm AI - filter/front ring can be turned  (Read 1458 times)

philipus

• Film photographer
  • NG Member
    • Philip Dygeus photography
24mm AI - filter/front ring can be turned
« on: December 14, 2017, 14:00:54 »
I have a 24/2.8 (no. 529519) and I noticed when I unscrewed the HN-1 hood that the filter ring turned with the hood a bit. This also moved the front of the lens where the lens's name, focal length etc are engraved. I can only move the ring approx a centimetre.

I'm not overly concerned because judging by the few rolls I've shot with the lens there doesn't appear to be any impact upon the lens's focus accuracy. But I thought I should ask in case this is something that really needs to be fixed.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Philip
philipus.com 

Film is Photography

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: 24mm AI - filter/front ring can be turned
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 14:20:08 »
https://richardhaw.com/2017/11/04/repair-nikkor-n-24mm-f2-8-auto/
i different but related lens. you lens might have lost that small grub screw for it to rotate the way it does. :o :o :o

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 15:08:45 »
Just keep it tightly screwed in,,, and don't fiddle with mounting and unmounting the hood
Erik Lund

philipus

• Film photographer
  • NG Member
    • Philip Dygeus photography
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 14:35:34 »
Thank you very much for your replies. I don't see such a screw (and thanks for your site, btw; it's extremely interesting and informative). But since the front doesn't rotate beyond a certain point I guess the risk is slim that it will fall off.

https://richardhaw.com/2017/11/04/repair-nikkor-n-24mm-f2-8-auto/
i different but related lens. you lens might have lost that small grub screw for it to rotate the way it does. :o :o :o

Good advice, thank you. I typically don't tighten the hood too much.

Just keep it tightly screwed in,,, and don't fiddle with mounting and unmounting the hood
philipus.com 

Film is Photography

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 07:08:09 »
Thank you very much for your replies.  But since the front doesn't rotate beyond a certain point I guess the risk is slim that it will fall off.

I would be concerned that there is a set screw and that it's loose and tearing up the barrel it is supposed to be holding fast to. I would get the problem fixed.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 22:35:11 »
I don't think there is any set screw.  I have a similar lens ( about 35 thousand higher on the serial number) and there is no set screw showing, and none under the rubber focusing ring either.  I looked and all that's there is a tiny hole, through which one sees threads.   It's possible that there is something under the front ring with the information printed on it, but otherwise there are no screws showing, and it looks as if the filter ring is just screwed on really tight and then perhaps sealed with a little dab of lacquer through the hole.

Mine is nice and tight, but if that lens were mine I think I might try just screwing that ring back on as tightly as possible, and then putting a little blob of lacquer into the hole to hold it there.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 12:52:02 »
Usually for the ‘short’ lenses the focus ring splits into two exposing the setscrew,,,
Erik Lund