Author Topic: Sayro  (Read 2357 times)

averity

• NG Member
  • Only the gentle are ever really strong<James Dean>
Sayro
« on: December 12, 2017, 11:31:43 »
Hey, I don't think I have posted here before, I got a little sidetracked trying to build my Instagram empire, :P In this photo and PP I have tried to emulate one of my photo heros Tom Hoops

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: Sayro
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 20:41:32 »
wonderful portrait, great light , great processing , composition and the look of the guy, it all works

care to tell us a bit more about the image?
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 21:33:51 »
looks great

Thomas Stellwag

averity

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 11:23:38 »
thank you Armando and Thomas, I took this image in my studio in Madrid as part of a trade (TFP) with the model Sayro, he wanted some 'sexy' pictures for his Instagram account and I am always on the lookout for interesting characters to shoot, my idea of sexy / interesting is this photo, the model had much more explicit and cliche ideas which we also did (showing all the images to some girlfriend photogrpahers after the shoot, they opted for my version sexy over the more explict :)... I have admired the work of Tom Hoops for some years now and thought that Sayro could be an interesting subject to try and emulate the feeling the attached image by Tom Hoops gives me, (a sort of hard man, maybe from a shady background, maybe he is aggressive towards me, maybe I want to cross the street to avoid speaking to him, a total contrast from Sayro, in reality, ;D he is a sweet and gentle man with a soft approachable personailty. 8)

PP:
Adobe Photoshop CC to remove a few spots that I found distracting and a small amount of dodge and burn and black and white conversion using Silver Efex Pro 2

tech details:

shutter speed 1/125
aperture F9
ISO 100
Nikon D610 with 70-200 f2.8 VR @ 145mm
a single studio flash fired by radio transmitter (Profoto B1) with a beauty dish at about 1/4 power and as close as I could get it to the model.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 15:14:35 »
in both cases those cigarettes are really distracting. In the US increasingly cigarettes are perceived as being for the weak rather than the strong.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 15:48:08 »
thanks for the explanation
Armando Morales

averity

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 15:53:24 »
in both cases those cigarettes are really distracting. In the US increasingly cigarettes are perceived as being for the weak rather than the strong.
Hey Jack, I am not a fan of smoking, but I am somewhat fascinated why so many informed, intelligent people still do it knowing that its poison, I don't think it makes someone weak or strong, I just wanted it in the image

averity

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 16:48:00 »

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 17:20:00 »
The first image is over sharpened for my taste.
The second image is much better, although his right eye is awkwardly covered by his hair.

Welcome back to NG averity :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

averity

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 17:37:54 »
The first image is over sharpened for my taste. I could agree with your comment Jakov, I didn't intentionally sharpen the image, I think this is an effect of the strong grain applied in SilverEfex 2 when you use the preset film noir, maybe i will have another go and adjust some of the sliders.
The second image is much better, although his right eye is awkwardly covered by his hair. just to confirm that the second one is not my image it belongs to Tom Hoops

Welcome back to NG averity :)  thank you Jakov 8) ;D :-X

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 18:15:41 »
sometimes what I do with silverefex is create 2 versions
one with the strong effect
one more mellow

and mask some of the undesirable halos , or go the other way around and mask in some of the stronger contrasts or textures
Armando Morales

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 18:24:31 »
The first image is excellent, but does not convey menacing, masculinity, to me. It has more of an effeminate feel, than menacing.

The second (Tom Hoops) image is just stunning, it absolutely nails the menacing look you describe   

......well done!

Cheers
Bez

dslater

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 18:46:11 »
Hey Jack, I am not a fan of smoking, but I am somewhat fascinated why so many informed, intelligent people still do it knowing that its poison, I don't think it makes someone weak or strong, I just wanted it in the image

My 2 cents on why so many still smoke. I am originally from Maine, which has a high incidence of smoking. What I've observed is that very few people start smoking when they're adults. Almost all smokers I know, including myself :), started when they were teenagers, who tend to think they're invincible, and don't really consider the consequences of their actions. Once they grow up, almost universally, they want to quit. However, at this point, the addiction has taken hold, and quitting is very very difficult. I smoked for 10 years before I quit. It took many attempts before I successfully quit for good. By the time I quit I had moved to Boston, and almost no one in my circle of friends smoked.
 However, back at home, most people still smoked. As a result, friends of mine there who wanted to quit not only had to battle the cravings, but had to deal with being constantly surrounded by others who still smoked. After many unsuccessful attempts, they simply gave up trying to quit.
  It is slowly getting better. As more people quit, there are fewer and fewer children who grow up in homes with smokers, resulting in fewer teenagers trying them in the first place.

I guess my point here is that the cigarette companies make their fortunes by hooking teens on cigarettes when they're and then relying on the addiction to keep them hooked for the rest of their lives.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 22:36:30 »
both are strong pictures in my opinion, a tad theatrical and bowieesque. Both of which I savour. A tad aggressive and tje MUA on the second I find confusing. Your statement. I accept that. Nothing wrong in the technical departement IMO.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

averity

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 17:38:58 »
both are strong pictures in my opinion, a tad theatrical and bowieesque. Both of which I savour. A tad aggressive and tje MUA on the second I find confusing. Your statement. I accept that. Nothing wrong in the technical departement IMO.

thank you for the bowieesque comment, you made my day  ;D