Author Topic: Casual 50/1.2  (Read 2138 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Casual 50/1.2
« on: July 10, 2015, 13:39:33 »
This lens (the Nikkor, to be precise, and here the AI version to be even more precise) is full of surprizes. The shot below was just experimental, with no "intention" except than checking sharpness, bokeh, reaction to strong light etc.

Nearly no PP (not even distortion correction). It was shot wide open, and the original vignetting was kept "as is". I originally posted it on FB to amuse others (I was on a biz trip in Brussels), but reactions were quite positive, so here it is.

Note : my AIS copy, though at least as sharp, displays more vignetting. Did you also observe that ?
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Casual 50/1.2
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 14:50:59 »
Wonderful portrait of furniture as well as a reader/writer and a street scene. I guess I have to buy one of these. There was a 400€ mint version a while ago on ebay but I was so depressed because of my bad eyesight that I refrained from buying it.

As I am in the right place:

I see AI1.2/55mm and AI-S1.2/50mm and AI1.2/50mm.

Where are the differences. Which is most recommend?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 14:58:52 »
"Note : my AIS copy, though at least as sharp, displays more vignetting. Did you also observe that ?"

Yes, this has been observed by me as well. The rear element of the AIS is slightly smaller than that of the AI, which might explain the different behaviour of the two. However, as the same fact allowed CPU-modification of the AIS, whilst we had to give up on the AI, I for one won't complain too much :D. Vignetting, if known beforehand, can be used creatively in picture-making.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 15:10:24 »
"I see AI1.2/55mm and AI-S1.2/50mm and AI1.2/50mm.

Where are the differences. Which is most recommend?"

The AI versions has longer focus throw and may be easier to focus.

At f/5.6 and beyond all are very sharp and hard to tell apart.

At f/1.2, the 50 models are quite a bit sharper. All have some veiling flare wide open that adds to their attractive rendition, unless you are after a clinical way of 'drawing' meaning only a Zeiss Otus will do.

For the subtle difference AI-AIS at f/1.2, see my previous post.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 15:26:44 »
Nice street shot Airy, were you also seating at the cafe ? I ask because for me it would take a while to do manual focus / composition , and people will likely notice I'm taking a photo
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 15:36:18 »
Yes, I was. Since the shot took the guy by the edge, and since I was doing lots of test shots mostly aiming at inanimate stuff, nobody cared. I relatively often use this "technique". Contemporary DSLRs are nuts at stealth photography.
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 19:52:59 »
Bjørn: and the 55/f=1.2
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 21:04:38 »
The 55/1.2 has a large amount of coma + flare wide open, which can be interesting.  It gives the impression of being deliberately diffused, more than the 50/1.2.
My copy is actually a very sharp, contrasty lens once stopped down(2 stops or so), and some of the sharp image seems even to be present wide open, though it is buried deep in the coma.
The coma-flare also increases with close focus. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 21:37:24 »
Thanks Keith for the additional information on the 55/1.2. My impressions are similar.

I have the pre-AI version and have no plans of modifying it. Mostly I use it on a GF-1/GH-2 or the Df.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 21:53:12 »
I can get a copy of the 55/F=1.2 very good condition for 499 Euros. Good deal? ebay no 261960297055

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 06:37:08 »
Airy, I enjoyed the series on FB.  :)

Frank, the Ai-s 50/1.2 has 9-balde aperture whereas all the older ones have 7-blade apertures, so the bokeh might appear a bit harsher on older ones when stopped down a bit.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira