Author Topic: Nikkor 13mm f/5.6 on eBay  (Read 2074 times)

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
Nikkor 13mm f/5.6 on eBay
« on: December 11, 2017, 01:14:15 »
On my wish list, or, my dreams.
To whom it may concern....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182951197291?rmvSB=true
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nikkor 13mm f/5.6 on eBay
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 01:20:50 »
Sorry, Aguinaldo, I cannot even afford to concern.  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 02:09:26 »
The title says "Nikon Nikkor 13mm f/5.6 (The first Ai-mount version made!)" but the serial number 175055 puts it towards the end of the pre-AI series. It has features of the pre-AI version -  no maximum aperture index post at the rear, and older style rubber grip (darker and more finely divided than the AI grip), but it has been AI converted by Nikon at some point. Indeed, the same lens appears in an early Nikon brochure, in the original pre-AI form:

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 03:04:59 »
. Indeed, the same lens appears in an early Nikon brochure, in the original pre-AI form:

What are the odds....
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 04:02:11 »
Considering they made so few of these, the odds aren't that bad :o

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 14:46:18 »
I did try it about 20 years ago. Personally, can't call this optical formula successful. There is one major plus - almost full absence of geometrical distortions. But, in opposite to removed distortions, as usual,  the lens is mushy, especially to the corners,  even center was so-so. One more negative side - flares easily, from any source of light.  Last 14mm Nikkor is way better of every respect, some distortions correcting fast in PP, without any significant sacrificing of field.  15/3.5  is between them.  14-24 zoom is sharper, too, but flares. The best very affordable wide lens today is, in my understanding, the last Tamron 15-30. The Sigma 12-24/4 is very good, wider then anything else, but heavy and without IS. My own choice you already know, Tokina 17mm,  sharp and contrast one, with efficient flare suppression, cheap, but is not that wide. Please note, it is my own personal opinion, nothing more! THX!   LZ

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 21:40:49 »
I did try it about 20 years ago. Personally, can't call this optical formula successful. There is one major plus - almost full absence of geometrical distortions. But, in opposite to removed distortions, as usual,  the lens is mushy, especially to the corners,  even center was so-so. One more negative side - flares easily, from any source of light.  Last 14mm Nikkor is way better of every respect, some distortions correcting fast in PP, without any significant sacrificing of field.  15/3.5  is between them.  14-24 zoom is sharper, too, but flares. The best very affordable wide lens today is, in my understanding, the last Tamron 15-30. The Sigma 12-24/4 is very good, wider then anything else, but heavy and without IS. My own choice you already know, Tokina 17mm,  sharp and contrast one, with efficient flare suppression, cheap, but is not that wide. Please note, it is my own personal opinion, nothing more! THX!   LZ

Thank you so much for the comment.
Maybe I want this lens so much because I'm a colector and it's so rare.
I really would like to see a comparison between it and the Sigma 12-24.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 23:11:33 »
The 13mm has to be seen in context, it was designed in the early 1970s and first released in late 1975 - over 40 years ago. At the time it was an outstanding achievement, far wider than anything else on the market. It was also very expensive, only made to order, so made in very limited numbers. Like the Noct it has a special place in history which is why it is so sought after by collectors. Modern lenses like the Sigma 14/1.8 can take advantage of 40 years advances in computer aided design, better glass materials, aspherics, improved coatings etc, so you should expect them to perform better. :o :)

Also, super-wide lenses require very tight tolerances, if the 13mm longzoom tried had suffered a blow to the side and some elements were even slightly displaced, or the CRC mechanism was not properly calibrated, that could have a big affect on performance.

chambeshi

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 11:13:33 »
The 13mm has to be seen in context, it was designed in the early 1970s and first released in late 1975 - over 40 years ago. At the time it was an outstanding achievement, far wider than anything else on the market. It was also very expensive, only made to order, so made in very limited numbers. Like the Noct it has a special place in history which is why it is so sought after by collectors. Modern lenses like the Sigma 14/1.8 can take advantage of 40 years advances in computer aided design, better glass materials, aspherics, improved coatings etc, so you should expect them to perform better. :o :)

Also, super-wide lenses require very tight tolerances, if the 13mm longzoom tried had suffered a blow to the side and some elements were even slightly displaced, or the CRC mechanism was not properly calibrated, that could have a big affect on performance.

The 13mm f5.6 stands as a most impressive acheivement - http://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0009/index.htm