Author Topic: Day of Rage-Strange bedfellows  (Read 1760 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Day of Rage-Strange bedfellows
« on: December 10, 2017, 15:09:33 »
Taken yesterday (December 9, 2017) at the Palestinian Day of Rage protest rally near the American Consulate here in Toronto.
While walking around and through the crowd, I notice an extreme Orthodox Jewish man protesting with the Palestinian faction, and realizing that this scene was proof of the adage that "politics makes strange bedfellows" grabbed this shot.
Nikon D3
Vivitar 17~28 f4.0-4.5 manual focus
1/40th @ f16, ISO 640
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: Day of Rage-Strange bedfellows
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 15:38:33 »
Great street photography!
Anthony Macaulay

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 16:30:22 »
Great street photography!
Thanks Anthony.
I liked this scene because it had enough elements to tell a story.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 19:44:23 »
Great shot, Robert.

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 22:49:52 »
Thanks John.
Robert

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
    • Rick Waldroup Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 23:11:03 »
It certainly is an unusual scene.  A great, dramatic shot that makes good use of the tilt angle composition.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 23:34:35 »
Robert, you captured indeed a very interesting scene.

The organization this Jewish person belongs to has been totally unknown to me.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 05:35:05 »
Rick, Akira,
Thanks for the kind words.
Rick,
The tilt while effective, came about accidently as I saw this scene from a distance and sprinted through the crowd to get it before it unfolded, and in my haste didn't level the horizon.
Akira,
Apparently he belongs to a sect that believes that Israel should not exist until the Messiah arrives, at which time He will bring about it's inception and return the Jewish people to it. Therefore their logic dictates that the land should be given to the Palestinians until that event occurs.
Robert   

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 06:40:33 »
Akira,
Apparently he belongs to a sect that believes that Israel should not exist until the Messiah arrives, at which time He will bring about it's inception and return the Jewish people to it. Therefore their logic dictates that the land should be given to the Palestinians until that event occurs.
Robert

Robert, thank you for the explanation.  Right after I had seen this image, I accessed the URL on the plaque and then looked into wiki.  Their belief sounds interesting.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 11:54:38 »
Robert, excellent PJ/Street image.   I did the same thing as Akira when you first posted.  Interesting.   Not to get into politics, but there seems to be a difference of opinion between the younger vs older Jewish folk so the image really intrigued me.
Many thanks for posting.... learn something every day  :)

Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 13:35:08 »
Tom,
Thanks for the kind comments.
The differences of opinion regarding the terrible problems that plague Israel and her neighbours seem to cross all demographics of we Jews.
Just like with American politics, many of us have stopped discussing the various issues in order to save life-long relationships.
Akira,
Not to pick on this particular sect, the beliefs of any extreme religious groups of any faith, including my own do not, to me sound interesting in the least.
Robert

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 16:02:57 »
Robert, I don't know how this particular sect behaves based on their own belief or interpretation, so I can only comment on the matter purely out of my inquisitiveness.  If they behave like any "extremists" are supposed to do, I would not support that.