Author Topic: Dead D700...  (Read 3727 times)

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Dead D700...
« on: December 07, 2017, 00:13:12 »
I went to take some photos on a job site with the D700 and nada.  She was working last week and was in my camera bag since I last used it, but everything is dark now.  It had a battery in the body and one in the grip and neither will bring anything up, not even the frame count on the top LCD. 

I'm on the fence.  Is a repair going to cost me more than a new body?  Time to upgrade?  Replace with the same?  It's about all the camera I need and along with the D7100 that I shoot suits me fine.....

Anyone have an opinion?  Opinion on repair costs?

Thanks folks!

Brent

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Dead D700...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 00:26:36 »
Is it worth the shipping cost of sending it to Nikon? It may be something simple. If not I wouldn't repair it. I'd put the money towards a D500 or if possible a D800 to D850. I'd rather have a new camera and you might have some nice DX lenses so the upgrade to D500 would be indicated. If you shoot people or like blurring backgrounds FX is indicated. I'd prefer the big upgrade to D850.

Best,

Dave Hartman

[Oops! I miss read the D700 for a D7000. I was reading on a 720P cell phone. Anyway I'd definatly get an FX camera to replace the D700 unless birds in flight or macro was more important than people. In that case a D500 might be a good choice. I checked KEH.com and they have a D700 for $740.00 (USD) in EX condition. I'd buy a Canadian camera so KEH.com is only a guide. Maybe another D700 but I'm personally spoiled by 36MP]
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 01:15:43 »
If the D700 is not worth repairing, consider a D610 or D750 as a replacement since the interface is very similar to your D7100, will make switching between the two easier. That's assuming you are happy with this interface and they have the features you need. On the other hand if you like the higher frame rate of the D700 and how it handles, they shouldn't be expensive.

First double-check your D700 is really dead - recharge the batteries, check the contacts etc ...

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 02:45:42 »
you can sell it for parts if you decide to upgrade  :o :o :o

and i know who is going to be interested to buy one if you go that route  ::)

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 03:55:29 »
folks,
thanks for the insights!  Nikon Canada is 40 minutes drive from me.  So might be worth them having a look, though I'm not sure at what cost (I suppose I can call). 

D700's seem to sell for $500-650CAD or so.  Not sure that I can justify an 800 or up.  A 750 would be cool but I like the frame rate of the 700 sometimes, and like the build of the 700. 

Richard, If it goes that way I'll give you a shout!

choices....

Brent

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 04:13:26 »
Brent, some years ago my D700 was involved in a very freak accident , while shooting a Soccer Match, and was dead.  Nikon India replaced the PCB board and it was fine thereafter.  Cost around 20K IRs (approx. 400$ at the time) .  Since you like the camera I would at least see what Nikon says.  My personal feeling is that the D750 is a better camera even with the lightly slower FPS.  In another weird accident  I, and the D750, went for a swim and my local service centre manager (a friend) said it was better to buy a new one since the cost of repair was too high.  NPS offered me a deal but I have too many cameras and decided to wait and see the D850 or D760(?).
I sold my D700 a while back to a nice young man and he loves it.  Although I loved the files I just got tired of the weight of the body w/MB10.
All the best
Tom
ps I did sell the D750 to a friend for parts  :)
Edit: I did have a D610 and it was a good camera but sold it at a loss as soon as I could get the D750.  The D610 was just not the all-rounder that the D750 is.  I really wanted the larger Focus Point Spread, FPS and , although it sounds a bit silly, I really missed the Image Review by pressing Centre button  :)
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 05:39:27 »
Nikon Canada is 40 minutes drive from me.  So might be worth them having a look, though I'm not sure at what cost (I suppose I can call). 

Nikon in usa will diagnose the problem at no charge, hopefully Canada is the same.

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 11:47:57 »
The bad news is that I'm an idiot and wasted all your time.  The good news is the batteries were both dead.  It looks like the aftermarket ENEL4 has failed and may have caused the in camera battery to drain.....I've NEVER run the batteries so dead that the camera didn't even turn out, so feared the worst.  Thankfully I tried a new battery before more embarrassment occurred at nikon Canada.

thanks for the suggestions, stories, and help, folks!  It's much appreciated even though I'm a bit embarrassed about all this.  It's also made me think that the D700 doesn't have a follow up camera.  The 750 isn't the same build nor FPS and the 800 files are too much......some things to think about in the future!

for now, I'll happily be enjoying the old beast! 

all the best!

Brent

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 12:22:46 »
"I'm a bit embarrassed".... heck I've done much more embarrassing things  ;D Happy that the story has a good ending.  Enjoy your D700 some more.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 13:10:25 »
The bad news is that I'm an idiot and wasted all your time.  The good news is the batteries were both dead.  It looks like the aftermarket ENEL4 has failed and may have caused the in camera battery to drain.....I've NEVER run the batteries so dead that the camera didn't even turn out, so feared the worst.  Thankfully I tried a new battery before more embarrassment occurred at nikon Canada.

thanks for the suggestions, stories, and help, folks!  It's much appreciated even though I'm a bit embarrassed about all this.  It's also made me think that the D700 doesn't have a follow up camera.  The 750 isn't the same build nor FPS and the 800 files are too much......some things to think about in the future!

all the best!

Brent

Jeesh...get in line and at the back of it!   I've done WAY more embarrassing things than that and am still here to tell the tale.    Just glad that at the end of the day, it was just a dead battery.  :D
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 14:23:03 »
Best possible outcome!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 08:21:43 »
I open a Nikon MD-12 that was dead. I identified the circuit board and called a camera repairman friend and asked if he could order the part. He asked if I had cleaned the contacts. I said yes but I do it again. I used absolute mythol alcohol and changed Q-tips several times. It has worked ever since. I surmise the contacts had something waxie like lip balm on them. Alcohol isn't a solvent of wax so the extra scrubbing must have done the trick. I reattached the leatherette and felt a bit foolish for opening up my MD-12 when all that was needed was a good cleaning of its contacts.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 15:14:06 »
thanks again for the stories, folks! 

I'll take a look at that battery.  thanks for the info!

Brent

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 07:49:58 »

all the best!

Brent

Nothing to be embarrassed about. And its great news that you got sorted. Just remember your story- and other's posted here - helps other people again.
Every time I pick up my camera in studio - my client says - you forgot the lens cap on. After 12 years I still do that. I am past feeling embarrassed.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 01:40:57 »
Thanks, Elsa!
ahhh, the lens cap.  I should just throw mine out.  it would likely gain me a shot or two worth keeping as I do the same.  Camera to face......dark......camera down, remove lens cap, camera to face.....shot lost.....

haha! 

thanks again! 

Brent