Author Topic: Thrift store finds you just can't make up!!  (Read 4341 times)

Peter

• "Remember You can only use one eye at a time"
  • NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
Thrift store finds you just can't make up!!
« on: October 20, 2017, 00:37:27 »
Yes this is the real price.. I just picked this up today with a roll or 120 still in it!!
I would have passed a baby Porcupine 20 years ago to have this as I was using a couple Jurassic 645's..
Ordered a battery as it's dead.. I don't shoot film anymore, but Damn it's tempting..
These young adults don't know what they have in their hands when they price them.
 I am finding 35mm SLR's at least two a month at this Savers thrift store, found a working Nikkormat with a 50mm f2 and 135mm Nikkor QC f2.8 for $12.00 last week.
The QC was with a factory Ai ring both lenses are super clean inside camera is a bit dinged but winds like a rolex still.

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Thrift store finds you just can't make up!!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 02:13:41 »
Nice Find!

30 years from now I wonder what will appear on a thrift store’s shelves?
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 02:26:25 »
D850?

Peter

• NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 03:37:31 »
D850?
;D.. Surprised I haven't seen a D700 yet except in my bag. Check out Goodwill auction site, some of the stuff give away is amazing..
Haven't seen an F4 or F5 yet I seen one F100 it was beat and overpriced.. I have to say the Sony a6000 I picked up for $7.50 was supremo this year, it has brain farts from time to time doesn't look pretty but I never leave home without it on my motorcycle..
Now I have more invested in adapters and odd ball lenses.. ???

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 04:08:18 »
While not a "thrift store" find, I did recently get a terrific bargain on a Zeiss Milvus ZF 85mm f/1.4 lens on Ebay.

First, you should know that I have experience repairing/adapting/building lenses.

I found a Zeiss Milvus lens in the Nikon ZF mount on ebay.  It had damage to the rear of the lens and was being sold "for parts".

I bought it for $400 USD.  When I received it looked like someone had either: thrown the lens against a hard object, dropped it off of a tall building, or the rear of the lens had been run over by some type of vehicle.   The glass and focus ring were perfect, but the mount and aperture were "rough".  It's a tribute to the design and build of Zeiss Milvus lenses that this lens could take such terrific abuse and still have it's glass remain in perfect condition!

I was able to fix it enough so that it would mount perfectly on my camera.  There were parts missing/damaged that controlled the aperture; so the only way I could change the aperture was to disassemble the rear of the lens.

So, I set the aperture to f/2 (which is what I shoot 85mm lenses at most of the time) and just leave it there. 

Now I've got an $1800 85mm Zeiss Milvus lens that I bought for $400 that works great (but only at f/2) !

Look for bargain cameras and lenses that are being sold "for parts".  Sometimes the repair is easy (or cheap) and you can turn the broken camera/lens into a good shooter and save yourself big money.  Basic lens repair can be learned by watching YouTube videos, and you can do lots of repairs with just a cheap spanner wrench and a 5 Euro Irazola philips screwdriver (http://www.leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-lens-for-Nikon-cameras.html).

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 08:03:13 »
Aside from occasional pocket cameras (I have a fondness for Olympus XA variants) I've had sporadic luck.  Many years ago I got a Bolex H16 complete with three lenses on the turret, mint in its case, for $10.  Not too long ago a Pentax Spotmatic with 1.4 lens, nearly mint with case and box for $12, and most recently a Canon A1 with a nice normal lens for $10.  Gave them all away, since I'm trying to thin down to just Minoltas and Nikons and a few other oddments.  I've passed up a couple of unneeded Minoltas recently though.    Many yard sale goodies including a couple of good Nikons, and a junk box working F, black with plain prism, for $5.  Here's a low res scan of one of the pix made with the Canon before I gave it away....

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 12:28:15 »
nice camera, great price
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 14:40:15 »
For those who can make it for a week end in Paris I would suggest the Photo Fair of Bièvres, the first week end of June. People come from all over Europe(even from Japan) to gather and buy or sell anything photo related, from antiques to modern, from usual shop dealers, to private individuals selling the deceased father hoard. Spare parts, negatives, films, bags, tripod and a lot of the usual junk of course :-)
This is where is track some of the old lenses that NG has "pushed" me to desire... :-)

Solitaire... Df with 28mm f/2.8 AI-s (bought there)

En Leica, en voilà... Df with 28mm f/2.8 AI-s

A l'ombre... Df with 28mm f/2.8 AI-s
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 18:48:41 »
For those who can make it for a week end in Paris I would suggest the Photo Fair of Bièvres, ......

When does the next plane leave?

Oh wait. June!?!?!?!

When does the next time machine leave.  I think I see a lens I want.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 19:50:50 »
Ah... :-) Yes, a bit early for june 2018 ! But then it leaves time to sort that photo cupboard we each have (or car trunk for some) and sell our surplus to bring back another trove of "things" ! They should start to build the French museum of Photography (it's been more then twenty years that it should have been built). You can also expose your own "art", for all to see in physical prints.

And then, of course, find a seat in the numerous restaurants and cafés, to examine you catch, discuss it with complete strangers around some bottles of cheap wine (the best part maybe) :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Peter

• NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 00:19:05 »
Well Goodwill has a D800 up for auction the days are numbered?
Why someone would bid big dollars on a high end DSLR that you can't return if it's hosed?
I have seen some stuff go over the price i can buy now on ebay on this site.
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/47368537

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 01:02:41 »
Well Goodwill has a D800 up for auction the days are numbered?
Why someone would bid big dollars on a high end DSLR that you can't return if it's hosed?
I have seen some stuff go over the price i can buy now on ebay on this site.
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/47368537

That's why the admonition "caveat emptor" was coined.  ;)
Carl

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 10:25:35 »
I don't shoot film anymore, but Damn it's tempting..

Go on, you know you want to.  The only thing the 645e lacks compared to the 645 Pro is interchangeable backs - hardly relevant these days - and build quality (the mount is quite fragile).  The lenses for the 645 are all excellent and cheap - and you can get an adapter for Nikon F, which makes the telephotos a real bargain. 

If you are looking for film holders the 220 version is much cheaper than the 120 (because you can't get 220 film) but is identical except for a little triangular piece of metal on one end that screws off easily to convert the 220 to 120.

Peter

• NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 17:43:28 »
Go on, you know you want to.  The only thing the 645e lacks compared to the 645 Pro is interchangeable backs - hardly relevant these days - and build quality (the mount is quite fragile).  The lenses for the 645 are all excellent and cheap - and you can get an adapter for Nikon F, which makes the telephotos a real bargain. 

If you are looking for film holders the 220 version is much cheaper than the 120 (because you can't get 220 film) but is identical except for a little triangular piece of metal on one end that screws off easily to convert the 220 to 120.
Yeah i did but needed the money I sold it last month, picked up some good coin for it.