Author Topic: LensTip Review of the 65mm 1:2 Voigtlander Apo Lanthar Macro  (Read 5275 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: LensTip Review of the 65mm 1:2 Voigtlander Apo Lanthar Macro
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 17:18:20 »
Probably better than not having any support at all. Yet, if the lens is going to be moved (?) when focusing, the coupling between support and lens is weak because it cannot be firmly locked. In such cases, a separate tripod collar for the lens is the way to go.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 17:38:22 »
Probably better than not having any support at all. Yet, if the lens is going to be moved (?) when focusing, the coupling between support and lens is weak because it cannot be firmly locked. In such cases, a separate tripod collar for the lens is the way to go.

The problem is that the lens has no focus ring, as you know. So I have to mount something on a focus rail, but still have some support. If you know how this is done, perhaps a link to Amazon.com with the right pieces (or somewhere) would be much appreciated.

As it is now, I will have to mount the device I just posted on a Novoflex focus rail that takes that vertical support rail I need to stack this, which is part of the problem. A single image would be no problem.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 17:40:51 »
I'm thinking something like this would work well.
  A lot of moons ago when I was busy with micro-macro work, I've jumped to conclusion: there is nothing on the our Earth what may reduce, in reality, all of kinds of vibrations  to zero. But it could be reduced to absolute minimum by long shutter, as long as possible, just to avoid the color shift. I know this is not acceptable in every situation, and good ND was a problem in my time and location, but anyway... One may use the best support ever possible, but vibrations will find their ugly way thru the bodies of the pipes.  But if we are working with knowledge of our limitations, we will succeed. Your images just a good proof of it. Good luck!  LZ   

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 01:46:40 »
I bought a 135/3.5 Ai in late November or early December. I wanted to try my new lens but it was dark by the time I go home. OK, a five minute exposure at f/5.6 will do the trick. The concrete sidewalk was unstable but that's were my point of view was.  I stood in the gutter, opened the shutter with a locking cable. A bit of over kill: I used the hat trick to start the exposure. I walked away and sat down. Five minutes then returned and closed the shutter. I must have nailed the focus. The lens performance nocked my socks off.

I can't imagine 5 min. + 3 min. x 150 slices = major frustration. What if mirror up mode was used?  What if a radio releast mode was use? Would a one minute delay to allow vibration to die before opening the shutter be acceptable?  I know that would add two and a half hours to a 150 exposure stack. Can this be automated?

Dave Hartman

Note to self: enjoy others' stacks. Don't get hook yourself.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!