Author Topic: LensTip Review of the 65mm 1:2 Voigtlander Apo Lanthar Macro  (Read 5319 times)

JKoerner007

LensTip Review of the 65mm 1:2 Voigtlander Apo Lanthar Macro
« on: December 01, 2017, 18:52:50 »
Voigtlander wasn't lying: record-breaking performance at virtually every aperture:

https://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=517

Wish they made one in Nikon mount :'(

JKoerner007

Re: LensTip Review of the 65mm 1:2 Voigtlander Apo Lanthar Macro
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 19:58:09 »

"In the case of that mirrorless device the decency level we set about 38-40 lpmm and the best fixed focal length lenses might reach 65- 70 lpmm. So far the record holder has been the Tokina Fírin 20 mm f/2 FE MF with a value of 72.6 lpmm.

"At the time of the announcement the Cosina company claimed the Voigtlander 2/65 would be one of the sharpest lenses available on the market. The results of our test show they didn’t exaggerate even a bit. Already at the maximum relative aperture the lens reaches almost 66 lpmm so several lpmm higher than the maximum resolution value of the Zeiss Sonnar T* 55 mm f/1.8 ZE. It is very impressive. If the maximum aperture is so good, small wonder on stopping down the situation becomes even better. By f/2.8 you see an absolute resolution record among lenses we have tested on the A7R II so far, a value of 78.5 ± 1.1 lpmm. What’s more, even the lower result of 74.7 lpmm obtained by f/4.0 would be enough to constitute a new record.

"It’s hard not to be an enthusiast for a lens which resolution results broke all current records and which didn’t have one single weakness in this category. Hats off!"

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 20:19:19 »
Unfortunately the lens is strictly designed for a mirrorless camera.  Its flange back is too short to adapt to any existing DSLRs.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 20:25:25 »
Yes, so we are waiting for the new Voigtlander Apo Lanthar 120/2  for  FF  ;)

JKoerner007

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 20:33:30 »
Unfortunately the lens is strictly designed for a mirrorless camera.  Its flange back is too short to adapt to any existing DSLRs.

Wish they made one in Nikon mount :'(

JKoerner007

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 20:34:45 »
Yes, so we are waiting for the new Voigtlander Apo Lanthar 120/2  for  FF  ;)

Indeed!

Or ... until Nikon comes out with a new, cutting-edge mirrorless by mid-next year ... and the adapters soon follow ;)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 23:51:09 »
I've had this lens for months. In a day or so, my copy of the A7R3 will arrive (it has been shipped) and I will see what this combination can do.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

JKoerner007

Re: LensTip Review of the 65mm 1:2 Voigtländer Apo Lanthar Macro
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 00:21:38 »
I've had this lens for months. In a day or so, my copy of the A7R3 will arrive (it has been shipped) and I will see what this combination can do.

Looks like f/2.8 is the aperture to use for stacking ...

Will be interested to see your impression: combining a new/great sensor ... pixel-shift ... 310° of focus throw ... and a record-breaking-sharp Voigtländer seems to have some serious potential.

I am sure your images will follow soon ... so I will stay tuned 8)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 00:35:51 »
Looks like f/2.8 is the aperture to use for stacking ...

Will be interested to see your impression: combining a new/great sensor ... pixel-shift ... 310° of focus throw ... and a record-breaking-sharp Voigtländer seems to have some serious potential.

I am sure your images will follow soon ... so I will stay tuned 8)

Right now I'm busy testing the earlier version of the Printing Nikkor 150mm APO f/2.8 lens against the second version, both of which I have on hand. The earlier version is optimized for less than 1:1 magnification, while the later Printing Nikkor APO f/2.8 "A" is optimized for 1:1 and above. Both are very large and heavy lenses, so I'm working on devising supports to reduce lens vibration from sheer hanging weight. The earlier version has exceptionally high sharpness and resolution marks, perhaps better than any lens I know of.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

JKoerner007

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 04:32:33 »
Right now I'm busy testing the earlier version of the Printing Nikkor 150mm APO f/2.8 lens against the second version, both of which I have on hand. The earlier version is optimized for less than 1:1 magnification, while the later Printing Nikkor APO f/2.8 "A" is optimized for 1:1 and above. Both are very large and heavy lenses, so I'm working on devising supports to reduce lens vibration from sheer hanging weight. The earlier version has exceptionally high sharpness and resolution marks, perhaps better than any lens I know of.

If I were going to choose between the two, I suppose I would choose the latter 'A' version, since beyond 1:1 is my main interest for a studio lens.

For field use, the 65mm 1:2 Voigtländer Apo Lanthar Macro sounds much more exciting and hassle-free.

Speaking of which, I am surprised you're having vibration issues with large subjects. Generally, these troubles mainly seem to afflict greater-than-10:1 type photomicroscopy.

Rather than a tripod, have you ever considered using a heavy desk, and placing a Thorlabs Breadboard on it, with the breadboard supported by Sorbothane Feet?

Don't let a quick look fool you—those breadboards are about 25 lb (heavier than any tripod) and the Sorbothane Feet really absorb vibration. It's what I use for my studio macro shots ... albeit for much tinier subjects. Might be too inflexible for your situation.

Here are some images ... the first is the raw breadboard ... the second is with a covering (as I use live subjects). It sits atop a heavy cherrywood desk and there zero vibration.

The photos show a manual RRS rail, but I am using an automated rail now, with 1μm steps.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 07:18:39 »
If I were going to choose between the two, I suppose I would choose the latter 'A' version, since beyond 1:1 is my main interest for a studio lens.

For field use, the 65mm 1:2 Voigtländer Apo Lanthar Macro sounds much more exciting and hassle-free.

Speaking of which, I am surprised you're having vibration issues with large subjects. Generally, these troubles mainly seem to afflict greater-than-10:1 type photomicroscopy.

Rather than a tripod, have you ever considered using a heavy desk, and placing a Thorlabs Breadboard on it, with the breadboard supported by Sorbothane Feet?

Don't let a quick look fool you—those breadboards are about 25 lb (heavier than any tripod) and the Sorbothane Feet really absorb vibration. It's what I use for my studio macro shots ... albeit for much tinier subjects. Might be too inflexible for your situation.

Here are some images ... the first is the raw breadboard ... the second is with a covering (as I use live subjects). It sits atop a heavy cherrywood desk and there zero vibration.

The photos show a manual RRS rail, but I am using an automated rail now, with 1μm steps.

Interesting idea, but most of my work is not "tabletop" size. However, I am working on the vibration problem and will have a report hopefully in the next week. I am testing Sorbothane, Neoprene, and so on. More important in this case is the sensitivity of a large overhanging lens. I will be supporting that and other large lenses aside from other vibration dampening. .

One lens, no matter how great, does not cover all the styles of shooting my subjects require. And just as in-the-field shooting has its concerns, so does studio work. And lenses that not only are well corrected, but that have a special "draw" or style are still hard to find, IMO. Of course, I prefer the earlier version of the Printing Nikkor, with its emphasis on lower magnification ratios. This earlier version also has a special lens ring that moves the internal lens elements to tweak the particular magnification ratio I am using. The later version is "fixed" in this respect.

Here is a photo of the Printing Nikkor 150mm APO f/2.8, the earlier version with the special lens-element ring. You can see why the length and weight of the lens is my main vibration problem. This is the actual lens I have, but not my camera. I will be working with this lens on the D850 and the A7R3, so I have to support the lens carefully. Why bother? The quality of the lens is better than other lenses I have AND it has a special draw or look all its own, IMO. Since I am not doing field work with this lens, I can take special pains to get what I can out of this lens rather than look to use a more convenient lens.

Sorry to get off topic. I will soon be testing the CV-65mm Macro lens as well.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 14:06:10 »
Here is a photo of the Printing Nikkor 150mm APO f/2.8, the earlier version with the special lens-element ring.

What about making a tripod collar to fit around the tube in the center?

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 14:33:27 »

Dave Hartman

Instead, I will use a long rail, with a lift on one end, Arca-Style.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 14:34:43 »

Dave Hartman

My sentiments exactly. In fact, I commenced writing that before I saw your post, Dave :D

With a leverage like illustrated above, stabilising the lens is a hopeless task unless some kind of direct support for it is provided. You cannot argue with physics.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 16:31:18 »
I'm thinking something like this would work well.