Author Topic: Vibration Isolation for Tripods  (Read 9162 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: Vibration Isolation for Tripods
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 02:04:53 »
Thanks for the input Bjørn, it must be at least eleven years ago, time plays tricks with the memory, mine anyways!

This is a picture of the type of head I remember, not quite as robust as this but similar in style.

With the lens axis at the right height and the 'nodal' point adjusted correctly, that type of head should be parallax free in all axes.

Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

antonoat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2017, 01:31:34 »
Michael I downloaded this free app for my iphone.......https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/seismometer-6-vibration-meter/id362472189?mt=8

I was doing some tests recently and wanted to measure the vibrations caused by the different shutter release modes on my cameras with different support methods, mirror-up, timer mode etc, I found by using this app on my phone with the phone sat atop my camera/lens I could readily see the vibrations caused by specific movements, it was very interesting to be able to see in real time how different situations/mpvement resulted in different strength and intensity of vibrations. I found that with my camera on a very heavy duty tripod on a wooden floor my slightest movements registered vibration even if I was at the opposite end of a large room. Give it a try, it may offer some insight. And the app is free!
cheers
tony
Tony Oaten

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2017, 03:36:11 »
Yes! Wooden floors are evil!  :o
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2017, 10:39:52 »
Well,,, it’s rather the beams and/or lack of support underneath the wooden floor that matters  ::)
Erik Lund

antonoat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2017, 10:57:55 »
Well,,, it’s rather the beams and/or lack of support underneath the wooden floor that matters  ::)
agreed, but actually the app at least shows the strength and duration of the vibration. It should be easy to creat a situation when there is no vibration(no movement) esp shooting mirror up and front electronic curtain!It's not rocket science, lol.
Tony Oaten

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2017, 11:00:28 »
I was doing some tests recently and wanted to measure the vibrations caused by the different shutter release modes on my cameras with different support methods, mirror-up, timer mode etc, I found by using this app on my phone with the phone sat atop my camera/lens I could readily see the vibrations caused by specific movements, it was very interesting to be able to see in real time how different situations/mpvement resulted in different strength and intensity of vibrations. I found that with my camera on a very heavy duty tripod on a wooden floor my slightest movements registered vibration even if I was at the opposite end of a large room. Give it a try, it may offer some insight. And the app is free!

That is very interesting Tony, thank you for posting.  I have downloaded three apps to my iPhone all very different ways of displaying much the same data.

They are incredibly sensitive and I think one has to calibrate somehow what is relevant to the application of camera vibration.  According to this, on the sensitive settings, my solid concrete floor is vibrating like crazy with nobody in the room!!!  Obviously less sensitive setting are required...  Analysis of actual exposures at the desired shutter speed combined with data from the app may reveal at what level the vibrations affect the image. Perhaps somehow an exposure which contains the graph via a mirror could be useful?

This app is exactly what I have been wanting for some time.  Much appreciated.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK